Wrestling Forum banner

Last night was almost the final straw, it's now WrestleMania or bust

1663 19
I have always loved The Royal Rumble PPV and alongside WrestleMania it is the only PPV that i always order every year because i simply love the actual rumble match, everything else on the card doesn't usually matter but if there are a few good matches on top it is always a nice bonus. Last night though was different because for the first time in my life of watching wrestling i felt completely deflated by the rumble match which i thought was horrible and made me sriously question if i will even continue bothering with WWE.

Now it is no secret that the scripted promo's and restrictions within WWE on what wrestler's can say or do in the ring make it hard for me to watch especially now that Shawn Michaels has gone which takes away guaranteed match quality but the rumble is usually my favorite match of the year and this year was a complete clusterfuck devoid of any real star power and all over the place. The whole PPV was pretty much all over the place and there were so many opportunities for WWE to either create or further feuds as well as bringing people back in from injury or for their debuts but that didn't happen either.

The first match between Edge and Dolph Ziggler took around fifteen minutes before it became watchable and then the next match with Randy Orton and The Miz was even worse but made strange because of CM Punk and The Nexus attacking Randy Orton for no reason as they are actually feuding with John Cena. I never really had any high hopes for Natayla and Lay-Cool because i have no hopes for any Diva's match regardless of whether the title is on the line or not but when they announced it was going to be a Fatal Four Way it screamed Awesome Kong debuting and destroying everyone but no we got Eve Torres who went on to win after no build or no involvement with any of the other's prior to the match.

Then the actual Royal Rumble match which for the first time in my memory felt completely flat after the initial start with the brawl between The Core and The Nexus, there was opportunities here to bring people back or to further feuds and WWE completley blew it. I know that Evan Bourne is still a few weeks away but he has no real star power so i wasn't too bothered about him but Triple H and Christian are both ready and should have been added even if it was towards the end to help the match, it could have furthered Triple H/Sheamus and a strong showing for Christian would help build him up towards The Elimination Chamber PPV in a few weeks.

Usually there is one standout star in the actual rumble match every year like Ric Flair in 1992 or Shawn Michaels in 1995 or Stone Cold Steve Austin in 1997 or Kane in 2001 but this year it was so poor and no man was really in there for too long at all, i think John Cena was in there the longest but a lot of the time he spent in there was with fucking Hornswoggle. Having The Miz then eliminate John Cena for no apparrent reason at all made no sense and having Randy Orton and Dolph Ziggler both thrown in to fill out the 40 people involved just showed what a bad move it was to bump it up from 30 to 40 people as WWE doesn't have the star power or even wrestler's to do it especially when they don't bring people in who are ready after injury.

For me now it has come to the point where i am putting everything into WWE building WrestleMania 27 up as HUGE and making me want to continue watching but if they don't pull this off then i realistically may turn off from WWE for good because i really don't know if i can take much more of this. I know that back in the early to mid 90's WWE were also devoid of star power but for me even the 1994, 1995 and 1996 Royal Rumble matches were better in my opinion so now for me it is honestly now WrestleMania or bust.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was a huge risk making it a 40 man Rumble, and like you, for me it didn't pay off. However despite the lack of returns, which in itself is a good thing, as returns at the Rumble is getting very predictable, it has set seeds for 3 matches at Mania, so in a way it has done its done.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,950 Posts
I enjoyed the Rumble nonetheless but bumping it up to 40 men meant no Rumble star this time around. Instead it highlighted several wrestlers, like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, JoMo, Ezekiel and Del Rio. To be honest the Rumble can never disappoint me, but I see your point. The whole Nexus beatdown stuff is getting annoying.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If Del Rio had come in earlier and won, he would have really earned that win in the eyes of the fans. But because he came in pretty late, he never had a chance to dominate so it wasn't as memorable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's never good to have high hopes when watching wrestling, you'll almost always be disappointed. I went into this Rumble expecting the worse and I bloody loved it. The title matches both told great story's and were decent matches and the divas match was good too. I did feel disappointed when that Eve girl came out, I wanted Kong, but the story of Laycool not wanting to fight each other and the double Sharpshooter were nice touches and the finish was interesting. I thought the Rumble match was booked as well as it could, almost every guy had a purpose. Booker and Diesel were both great surprises and I even popped for Khali. People seem to be hating that there weren't more returns, but if HHH, Jericho, Undertaker or even Sting had been in that match the WWE would have been criticised for not promoting that they were appearing to get more buys. I'm sure if Christian or Evan Borne were ready they would have been there. Anyway, I'm rambling. Looking forward to punk v orton, cena v miz, del rio v edge and freaky cody rhodes v rey in a mask v mask at Mania.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,166 Posts
I loved the show. A great opener, an ok Miz match, and then an AMAZING rumble. Everything was great.
I echo these words, Edge and Ziggler was a great match, Miz and Orton was entertaining. The divas match was pretty good for a fatal four way.

And the Rumble was brilliant, I'd vote to keep it at 40 people. We had like an hour and 50 minutes of rumble action and it provided more superstars down the pecking order to shine. Morrison's spot was pretty cool, and I normally find Hornswoggle annoying as fuck but the AA on Tyson Kidd was hilarious.

Then we have Big Sexy and Booker T coming back to absolutely amazing pops, especially Nash.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I thought the Rumble match was really well done. the other matches were your typical WWE PPV. Boring.

Unfortunately, the Royal Rumble match (over the last 2 years) have been the peak of the WWE's year in terms of quality. So it's all downhill from here folks!

·
Rated PG
3,842 Posts
Punk, Bryan and Regal brawling was great and the crowd was fully into it.
Morrison's little spot was random but that crowd also gave a nice reaction.
Chavo got some great support when he finally hit the Three Amigos.
Nexus just owning everyone was also a success because all of them looked strong (unlike in the past) and they got major heat.
Booker T was so fucking over, it was unreal!

And then Cena and Hornswoggle brought it all crushing down.

As for the finish. Santino killed the ending for me. I knew he was there, I knew he wouldnt win but why couldnt they have ADR come in around number 25 and just win it nice and clean. Have him cutting promos in between entrants to build some mega heat.

As for the rest.
Dolph V Edge was great.
Miz V Orton was, well as good as expected
The Divas match was better then expected. Eves win was random but she is actually pretty damn talented. Also she totally got the pin first!

·
Really?
202 Posts
I love these "that's it for me" threads, they appear without fail the day after every PPV it seems.

WHC match to open the event was perfect because it was such a high paced intense match. I thought Edge/Ziggler was brilliant, I can't comprehend how you found it unwatchable for the first 15 minutes. I don't think people really appreciate that in the years past at the Rumble, we've had competitors such as Steiner and Heidenreich competing for the titles. THOSE were bad matches, this was one of the best PPV matches in recent months. I was on the edge of my seat when Ziggler hit the Zig Zag, honestly kind of thought he was going to win for a moment. Oh, and lets not forget Kelly's ass... awesome.

Then we had the Miz vs Orton, which surprised me because I was kind of dreading this match after Orton won the number 1 contendership, but it wasn't bad by any means. Don't understand the hate for the Miz, I think he's great. Loved the ending too, can't wait to find out why Punk cost Orton the title, but honestly I marked out when he did it.

Divas match, well, I didn't see the point in Eve winning, but had some nice moments with the double sharpshooter and... oh, that was it I think, still, not bad for a divas match I guess.

Now onto the Rumble. I loved it, thought it was fantastic. Didn't mind the brawl at the start because we knew it was going to happen at some point so why not get it out the way to begin with, was kind of amusing to see the Corre doing that textbook "pack of dogs" attack on CM Punk. I hope these 2 stables cross paths again.

The match had some great moments for me. Morrison's parkour survival after being thrown out was stunning, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this guy really is going places. Was pretty shocked to see Morrison out so early though, alot of people were tipping him to win the Rumble. Then we had the return of Booker T, I seriously marked out when I heard "CAN YOU DIG IT, SUCKA!?", he was so over with the crowd aswell which made it all the better. Same for Diesel, that was a big shock. Hornswoggle and Cena was amusing at first but it really did outstay its welcome. One thing I do want to mention is Cena just buried every single member of the Nexus AGAIN. Well done WWE, way to make your "intimidating stable" look like a joke, so much for Mason Ryan making an impact.

Oh, on the subject of Cena, Miz throwing him out made my night. The Miz has grown on me so much, but that's done it for me, he is an absolute legend. Satisfied with Del Rio winning, when it came down to the final three I knew it would be him. The whole Santino thing was funny but he will now go down as the runner up of a Royal Rumble. I guess Vince McMahon has won the Rumble, so can't complain.

As a whole, I really enjoyed the Royal Rumble last night and it was well worth my money. WrestleMania may be the "last straw" for some but I will continue to enjoy the product and appreciate what it has to offer because I was thoroughly entertained last night and thought the whole event was executed brilliantly.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have always loved The Royal Rumble PPV and alongside WrestleMania it is the only PPV that i always order every year because i simply love the actual rumble match, everything else on the card doesn't usually matter but if there are a few good matches on top it is always a nice bonus. Last night though was different because for the first time in my life of watching wrestling i felt completely deflated by the rumble match which i thought was horrible and made me sriously question if i will even continue bothering with WWE.

Now it is no secret that the scripted promo's and restrictions within WWE on what wrestler's can say or do in the ring make it hard for me to watch especially now that Shawn Michaels has gone which takes away guaranteed match quality but the rumble is usually my favorite match of the year and this year was a complete clusterfuck devoid of any real star power and all over the place. The whole PPV was pretty much all over the place and there were so many opportunities for WWE to either create or further feuds as well as bringing people back in from injury or for their debuts but that didn't happen either.

The first match between Edge and Dolph Ziggler took around fifteen minutes before it became watchable and then the next match with Randy Orton and The Miz was even worse but made strange because of CM Punk and The Nexus attacking Randy Orton for no reason as they are actually feuding with John Cena. I never really had any high hopes for Natayla and Lay-Cool because i have no hopes for any Diva's match regardless of whether the title is on the line or not but when they announced it was going to be a Fatal Four Way it screamed Awesome Kong debuting and destroying everyone but no we got Eve Torres who went on to win after no build or no involvement with any of the other's prior to the match.

Then the actual Royal Rumble match which for the first time in my memory felt completely flat after the initial start with the brawl between The Core and The Nexus, there was opportunities here to bring people back or to further feuds and WWE completley blew it. I know that Evan Bourne is still a few weeks away but he has no real star power so i wasn't too bothered about him but Triple H and Christian are both ready and should have been added even if it was towards the end to help the match, it could have furthered Triple H/Sheamus and a strong showing for Christian would help build him up towards The Elimination Chamber PPV in a few weeks.

Usually there is one standout star in the actual rumble match every year like Ric Flair in 1992 or Shawn Michaels in 1995 or Stone Cold Steve Austin in 1997 or Kane in 2001 but this year it was so poor and no man was really in there for too long at all, i think John Cena was in there the longest but a lot of the time he spent in there was with fucking Hornswoggle. Having The Miz then eliminate John Cena for no apparrent reason at all made no sense and having Randy Orton and Dolph Ziggler both thrown in to fill out the 40 people involved just showed what a bad move it was to bump it up from 30 to 40 people as WWE doesn't have the star power or even wrestler's to do it especially when they don't bring people in who are ready after injury.

For me now it has come to the point where i am putting everything into WWE building WrestleMania 27 up as HUGE and making me want to continue watching but if they don't pull this off then i realistically may turn off from WWE for good because i really don't know if i can take much more of this. I know that back in the early to mid 90's WWE were also devoid of star power but for me even the 1994, 1995 and 1996 Royal Rumble matches were better in my opinion so now for me it is honestly now WrestleMania or bust.
You're expecting way too much, imo. Look at the previous RR, they were of the same caliber.

·
Only here 4 The BO$$
10,970 Posts
I would have to agree with the OP. I didn't enjoy the RR at all. The best part was seeing Booker and Diesel return...that's it.

·
Banned
4,461 Posts

John Cena was eliminated by the Miz because they are gonna be having a WWE title match at WM in Atlanta in a couple of months.

And Cripple H may be injury free and still lazy as fuck not to appear on television but Christian is still injured and is not supposed to be returning until March.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For once, I enjoyed the rumble match. For me the 1 superman highlight like Mysterio in 06 is stupid... Let many guys get a good run and let the fresh man win as it is clear they have more energy... All the supernatural crap the old geezer fans want doesn't make sense and it just hasn't worked, EVER!

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John Cena was eliminated by the Miz because they are gonna be having a WWE title match at WM in Atlanta in a couple of months.

And Cripple H may be injury free and still lazy as fuck not to appear on television but Christian is still injured and is not supposed to be returning until March.
First off Christian was told he would be back within four months at the most and his injury was in September, he has said himself he has finished rehab and is ready to go so it was WWE's choice not to use him. As for Triple H surely having him come back and go straight for Sheamus would have made their feud hot again almost instantly and with The Elimination Chamber PPV up next they could have held off on a one on one match until WrestleMania 27 in some kind of gimmick match.

As for John Cena being eliminated by The Miz am i the only one who has been watching Raw and noticed that John Cena is feuding with CM Punk and The Nexus whilst Randy Orton has been feuding with The Miz but for no reason whatsoever WWE have just swapped them over and started Cena/Miz and Orton/Punk from nowhere. I mean John Cena and CM Punk have not had a PPV match with each other and now it is Orton/Punk and randomly The Miz now wants to feud with John Cena, i'm sorry but what kind of booking is this and especially at a PPV.

The last time i said to anyone i was going to stop watching WWE was back in 1995 a month or so after WrestleMania 11 and i only started watching again leading into SummerSlam in 1995 because of Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon in their Ladder rematch but then turned off again until the lead up to The Royal Rumble because it is my favorite PPV of the year so for me to say i would turn off if WrestleMania is no good says a lot. No one can tell me that any of last night was booked right and make me believe them because it was all over the place with no real star or no major returns which is what most people have been excited about so much over the last few years in the rumble match.

I am a HUGE Alberto Del Rio mark and i am happy that he won and will go on to main event WrestleMania 27 but that was the one real bright spot in a clusterfuck of a rumble, yes it was similar in parts to last year but last year there were stories like Shawn Michaels needing to win to face The Undertaker at WrestleMania or Edge's return whereas this year there is no returns and the stories going in were pointless because WWE have changed everything around. If WWE wanted Cena/Miz so much then having Cena/Punk was pointless unless they are going to have a Fatal Four Way with Cena/Orton/Punk/Miz as the WWE title match at WrestleMania 27.

Everyone has been raving about CM Punk and how this feud with John Cena will elevate him to the top heel in the company status but now the feud has seemingly ended randomly and pointlessly and John Cena and Randy Orton have swapped over feuds. I was really looking forward to Cena/Punk because they have shown over the last month that they can really work well in the ring and have very good chemistry in their building up of the feud so if Cena/Miz was the plan then John Cena should have won the rumble and then faced CM Punk at The Elimination Chamber PPV in a match where the WrestleMania title shot was on the line so they could at least end their feud properly.

·
Registered
96 Posts

This Royal Rumble was very good, the edge and dolph ziggler match lived to it's expectations, the Orton, Miz match was very well done, the Royal Rumble match was just as good. The returns of Booker T and Big Sexy Kevin Nash were phenominal, I have never heard the crowd so loud for a return since Stone Cold's return last march. This Royal Rumble was as good as it gets, I do agree with you they could've thought about a little more creativity, but making a star go from zero to a complete turn around is exactly what they did for Seamus last year. Yes the 4 man domination throughout the match was ridiculous but hey that's exactly what stone cold did in 1997.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,281 Posts
For once, I enjoyed the rumble match. For me the 1 superman highlight like Mysterio in 06 is stupid... Let many guys get a good run and let the fresh man win as it is clear they have more energy... All the supernatural crap the old geezer fans want doesn't make sense and it just hasn't worked, EVER!
Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair say "hello your opinion is wrong"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.