Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,621 Posts
The more I think about this match the more I realise just how wrong it was of WWE to book it in the first place, because however you look at it the outcome is unlikely to make both men more over than they are going into it.

If the rumours are true and Brock Lesnar is coming back for SummerSlam, the winner of this match should really come out with a decisive win that puts them over as strong as possible ahead of the clash with Lesnar. The thing is neither man can afford it.

If Lashley goes over cleanly, McIntyre loses yet another title match and his stock falls further than it already has. The man who beat Lesnar at WrestleMania 36 would be seen as being incapable of winning a HIAC match (having lost to Orton last year), and having lost to Lashley at WrestleMania; Raw is left without a strong top babyface.
And this, FYI, is why doing Bobby Lashley vs Brock Lesnar is fucking idiotic. No matter what, neither man is going to benefit long term from it because it's more of a spectacle than an actual match that progresses Bobby Lashley. He doesn't need the match. But giving him this match hurts everyone else around him. I think maybe you're overplaying what him beating Drew at Hell in a Cell does for his stock because this is a guy who has been through far worse and recovered just fine. But I will nonetheless express that I think it's just an incredibly pointless match to do, especially because we all know how the match is going to play out and we all know we're never going to see Lesnar again until MAYBE the Royal Rumble. Maybe.

Even if McIntyre were to win as you describe it would not eliminate the possibility of a Lashley/Lesnar match.

For example, Lashley could regain belt the next day on RAW with a clean finish, etc.
That would be the most idiotic thing they could possibly do.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well to be honest I think this match will be a good feud ended for Drew vs Lashley, I would have Jinder Mahal come out with a mask on, and come from under the ring when theirs a ref bump, it doesn’t get revealed it’s him. Fast forward to M.I.T.B., Drew is on top of Ladder about to win, and bam Jinder comes out and throws him off Ladder, leads to a match at Summerslam.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My guess is that it's an interference finish where Drew loses. Then drafted to Smackdown because he can't face lashley anymore for the title. Yeah.. I agree It is a pretty lame fucking main event.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The more I think about this match the more I realise just how wrong it was of WWE to book it in the first place, because however you look at it the outcome is unlikely to make both men more over than they are going into it.

If the rumours are true and Brock Lesnar is coming back for SummerSlam, the winner of this match should really come out with a decisive win that puts them over as strong as possible ahead of the clash with Lesnar. The thing is neither man can afford it.

If Lashley goes over cleanly, McIntyre loses yet another title match and his stock falls further than it already has. The man who beat Lesnar at WrestleMania 36 would be seen as being incapable of winning a HIAC match (having lost to Orton last year), and having lost to Lashley at WrestleMania; Raw is left without a strong top babyface.

If McIntyre goes over cleanly, the fans - who have been pining for a Lesnar/Lashley dream match for years - would feel robbed. There isn't much interest in a Lesnar/McIntyre rematch, and WWE could run the risk of the crowd turning on McIntyre and seeing him as being shoved down their throats after seeing him as WWE Champion for most of 2020.

If Lashley goes over via some sort of interference, it gets McIntyre out of the title picture and onto something else, but does nothing for putting over Lashley as a dominant champion going into a match with Lesnar. Lashley needs to continue to look like a beast before facing The Beast Incarnate.

If McIntyre goes over via some shenanigans, whether it's MVP accidentally costing Lashley or some other way, it doesn't make him look good either, and once again we're back to the scenario of the fans being pissed at McIntyre being champion again at the expense of throwing away a Lesnar/Lashley showdown they've been waiting for.
What rumor is there that Lesnar is returning? And who are these people pining for a match b/n Brock and his Black twin??

I'm hoping Drew wipes the smug off of Lashley's face, and ships him and his Hoes away

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'm thinking that Lesnar will cost Lashley the belt for whatever reason. Sets up a match between the two of them, and Mcintyre can finally be champion in front of a crowd.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
In isolation I think the finish that makes the most sense is a no contest caused by Lesnar. Set up a triple threat for SummerSlam. All three men are protected going into SummerSlam, from there you can do a finish that protects them, one that sets up future programs between Lesnar and either man. I don't really see the appeal of Lashley/Lesnar at all but people are clamouring for it for some reason.

Big problems with it in that they already did it in 2018 with Lesnar interfering in the Reigns/Strowman match, it would be the third no contest Hell in a Cell in four years after that and the Rollins-Wyatt match, and Lesnar doesn't really have any reason to go after McIntyre. Two months is also a pretty long time to stretch it out if the aim is to set up SummerSlam.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Stipulation added “If Drew loses he can’t compete for the belt ever again”

Either he has to win or he’s drafted to Smackdown. Considering he’s never out of the Title picture
The stipulation is he can't challenge Lashley for the title again. But once Lashley loses the title, Drew can challenge for it.

·
Premium Member
12,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What does a live audience have anything to do with anything here? Drew having actual adversity by not being able to beat Lashley would do Drew hella more good than Drew being granted rematches every month after failing to win back the title as a top babyface. Dude has been protected even when putting over Lashley by adding third parties in their matches. Time for Drew to put over Lashley properly after his huge push last year.
Drew's push came at a time where there was no live crowd to determine how over he was. We have no idea if, for example, in the summer of last year he would've been heavily cheered against Randy Orton or if the crowd would've turned on him for whatever reason. My point is, you can say Drew's been built up enough to lose, but we have no idea just how over he really is until the crowds return. You can't just smash him over everybody in a vacuum and say "ok he's over enough now to afford x y z losses" - Roman Reigns was put over time and time again prior to last year and it didn't mean anything because the crowds didn't accept him.

As long as WWE is invested in Drew, his stock can never really fall. Like when Seth lost to KO at WM and was completely unfazed. The problem with WWE is that they're incapable of booking their wrestlers outside the title picture, or outside the main event scene.
Perhaps not in the eyes of WWE management, but his stock can definitely fall in the eyes of the audience.

Even if McIntyre were to win as you describe it would not eliminate the possibility of a Lashley/Lesnar match.

For example, Lashley could regain belt the next day on RAW with a clean finish, etc.
Why would you have McIntyre win by some sort of botched interference only to have him lose the belt cleanly the following night on Raw? What would that achieve?

Well not necessarily. They can have Lesnar interfere in the middle of the match by destroying the cage door and attacking both men, causing Drew the win but without Lashley necessary looking like the weaker guy.

There are ways to book this, not many ways but it’s possible
If Lesnar were to interfere as you've described, it wouldn't make Drew look great by winning as a result of his help (even if it was inadvertent.)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Time for Drew to lose and drop out of the title picture for a while. This main even Drew experiment has lasted a while now, and it's safe to say that although he has improved, he's just not good enough to be in the main event. They even gave him the Goldberg feud, and that hasn't helped him at all. Have him feud vs Jinder, then tag up with him after or some shit, anything that takes him out of the main event.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If McIntyre goes over via some shenanigans, whether it's MVP accidentally costing Lashley or some other way, it doesn't make him look good either, and once again we're back to the scenario of the fans being pissed at McIntyre being champion again at the expense of throwing away a Lesnar/Lashley showdown they've been waiting for.

Why would you have McIntyre win by some sort of botched interference only to have him lose the belt cleanly the following night on Raw? What would that achieve?
I am just giving you an example of what could happen and why McIntyre winning by Shenanigans does not preclude the Lashley vs. Lesnar match. Fact is you have 2 months between HIAC and Summerslam and that is a lot of time for Lashley to get the belt back via a rematch. The rematch doesn't have to come on the next day on RAW....it could come weeks later even.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Drew's push came at a time where there was no live crowd to determine how over he was. We have no idea if, for example, in the summer of last year he would've been heavily cheered against Randy Orton or if the crowd would've turned on him for whatever reason. My point is, you can say Drew's been built up enough to lose, but we have no idea just how over he really is until the crowds return. You can't just smash him over everybody in a vacuum and say "ok he's over enough now to afford x y z losses" - Roman Reigns was put over time and time again prior to last year and it didn't mean anything because the crowds didn't accept him.
By this logic WWE can't do any pushes for anyone as long as there is no live crowd which makes no sense at all.

Drew has been protected for a whole year, put over Lashley at Mania via a distraction loss, now is the time for him to lose cleanly to solidify Lashley as the champion. They have dragged this feud long enough without anything new being thrown in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don’t think it’s a lose/lose situation, they need to have Lashley win cleanly if Brock is returning to make him look more dominant as a champion before that clash, Drew needs to be off the title picture and make his way to the top again and that could be a win/win

·
Registered
171 Posts
Who cares if Drew beat him? Lashley is the current champ and also has a very impressive mma career like Brock. Anyone would go after Lashley before Drew. If these were 2 actual fighters you go after the baddest man on the block. That's Lashley. You can settle the score with Drew whenever.
This actually makes sense. Maybe the loss made Brock actually respect Drew, but he doesn't respect Lashley since they've never fought and doesn't like him trying to imitate him (mma). Also not saying he really tries to imitate him, just a kayfabe reason.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts