Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, it is well-known that great wrestlers ca be great heels and faces (andre, hogan, austin, etc..) but my question is a little deeper. Who do you think was a really awesome face, but could never be a good/believable heel...and vice versa.

I'm actually having some trouble thinking of a good answer for these. For a great face but bad heel I could throw out the Ultimate Warrior. Cant remember a time when he was a big time heel. For a great heel but a poor face I am thinking maybe Nikolai Volkov, Yokozuna or possibly Owen Hart. Owen was never really a major face (maybe dark hart gimmick) but he was a huge heel for the majority of his career.

Its a weird question, but it should open up some good debates.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Rey Mysterio was never a believable heel character to me during his little heel stint in WCW. His wrestling style and persona won't allow him to be an effective heel. He is one of the best babyfaces ever though.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase could never be a face without a massive repackage. He was the perfect heel who was easy to hate.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The Rock is a bit of an enigma here as when he was forced down everyone's throats as a sickeningly pure babyface it just didn't work. So he turned into one of the greatest heels ever. After that he reverted back face, but stayed the Rock. It could be argued that his successful face turn would never have happened had he not been so great as a heel.

Another guy that was a great heel, but never seemed to be a face was Rick Rude. He just wouldn't be believable as a good guy.

Sting has never been a good heel IMO, but an outstanding face of course.

Goldberg was over pretty big as a monster face. Over enough to get a clean win on Hogan for a title. He personally didn't want to be a heel, but what little time he was a heel I thought was awesome. I think heel Goldberg and the deal with Fusient working out would have saved WCW.

Reactions: Duke Silver

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't buy HHH as a face...
I thought I never would either when he was the Greenwich snob...but then he led DX against the nation and even had a stint against the corporation before turning on Xpac...at that time he was awesome as a face.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Vinnie Mac himself. Mr. McMahon as a face is just ludicrous. Not that I have an issue with his brief face performances (except for I LOVE YOU POP = *CRY*), I just don't necessarily believe it. I mean everybody thinks he's a heel in real life anyway, so just let him be a heel.

Of course there are several right answers but they've already been mentioned.

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
It isn't a weird question at all. "What's wrong with Kofi Kingston's boobies?" is a weird question, not this.

I think it's strange that Goldberg was never a heel. He'd be perfect for it. I agree with HHH not being very good as a face.

·
Banned
175 Posts
It isn't a weird question at all. "What's wrong with Kofi Kingston's boobies?" is a weird question, not this.

I think it's strange that Goldberg was never a heel. He'd be perfect for it. I agree with HHH not being very good as a face.
Goldberg was a heel if you count the failed turn in 2000. I personally loved the turn, thought it was ballsy turning your biggest face draw but most fans didn't buy it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Kane, should've really never been a face, tweener is acceptable but a never full-blown face Back in 1999-2000, I just couldn't buy a disturbed, burnt, psychopath capable of having a heart for X-Pac or dog faced Tori. Let's not also mention that time he did the Kane-a-roonie. Character Killing 101.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
I could never buy Triple H, Vince, and Kane as faces. They are just so much better as heels. Goldberg as a heel was a complete and utter fail. Never even understood why they would turn their most popular(debatable by then)star a heel. Rey Mysterio is also someone who will never be able to be an effective heel. You just can't take a lil guy like him who flies around and wears a mask as a threat to anyone really.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
The Mr. McMahon character as a face

Rey Mysterio as a heel

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Yoshi Tatsu would never work as a heel. Neither would Kelly Kelly. It would be pretty interesting to see how a heel Hornswoggle would work out.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
There are some obvious ones like Vince, but the one person who I thought would completely fail at being heel was Jeff Hardy. However, his full blown heel turn in TNA (not counting the brief 2003 run in WWE) was actually quite entertaining.

·
Ho!
17,749 Posts
I actually think HHH is a damn fine face tbh, and I think all his face runs besides his 2002 one was better than his Evolution run from a quality stand point.

For me though, Edge takes this. He's such a natural heel that as a face in 2010 and 2011 I just wasn't buying into it. Edge just felt incredibly bland and boring, even though he did have some good-great matches in his last couple of years as a face.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I could never see one of my fav heels ever Jeff Jarrett being a face

1 - 20 of 30 Posts