Wrestling Forum banner

Do you agree with Lance Storm?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Storm's opinion seems the exact opposite of some of the people here, who didn't like it because they thought it buried Wardlow, not Punk.

Weird how we can all interpret the same thing in different ways
I dont like it because its insanely predictable and protecting punk constantly. Exactly what has happened to cody. This just makes punks generic fake rankings system nerd come back even more generic and forced. How many guys in aew are getting this same stupid storyline around rankings. Punks is worst than all of them. All that matches purpose was to protect punk and try to do it in a way that also made war still look good. Its shit booking and thats what tony khan for ya. In the end it does not hurt anyone but its just sad

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I liked it put over Punk's determination and craftiness. Gave Wardlow more reason to turn on MJF. Protected Wardlow as an absolute monster who only lost because he was distracted. And gave MJF more to do. I think people are overthinking it.

oh yeah so crafty, getting his ass kicked to a max and then sneaked a random roll up. So fucking compelling and crafty. People are simps these days.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I dont like it because its insanely predictable and protecting punk constantly. Exactly what has happened to cody. This just makes punks generic fake rankings system nerd come back even more generic and forced. How many guys in aew are getting this same stupid storyline around rankings. Punks is worst than all of them. All that matches purpose was to protect punk and try to do it in a way that also made war still look good. Its shit booking and thats what tony khan for ya. In the end it does not hurt anyone but its just sad
Unfortunately it's the only thing that keeps him happy, Punk was going over the shield in 3 on 1 handicap matches and still complained he wasn't pushed enough, as soon as he starts losing matches he'll be having less fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Punk made MJF look like an inept buffoon again.

MJF hasn't got one over Punk at all in this feud. While the old guy continues to never ever lose. Again its something that in the WWE it would be shat on by most, but because its AEW people love seeing old guys destroy the new guys.
He's a cowardly heel. What are you expecting? The feud has only just started and Punk hasn't destroyed MJF once yet. I don't think they have even been physical yet.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Unfortunately it's the only thing that keeps him happy, Punk was going over the shield in 3 on 1 handicap matches and still complained he wasn't pushed enough, as soon as he starts losing matches he'll be having less fun.

That's why when Punk going heel is going to be the biggest joke ever but simps will eat it up. This guy's got it so easy and making probably in the too 5 highest paid in aew. Spent his life bitching and is going to do it again in aew with his cute back story?

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
22,689 Posts
I don't agree that is was damaging - but I respect the opinion of a wrestler.

The match/segment told us that:

• Wardlow looks like a monster
  • MJF can still be Punk's first loss-
  • It set up Wardlow for a huge face turn against MJF with great justification.
  • If Punk beats MJF, you have all the seething animosity and jealousy between Wardlow and MJF since only one of them really had him beat.

I mean, it's nitpicking the finish of a match that is just one in a storyline that doesn't even really involve Punk directly, he's only the catalyst for Wardlow/MJF.

Punk is obviously a HUGE Bret Hart mark as this match was reminiscent of Diesel/Hart which saw Hart, the smaller guy, beat Diesel, the bigger guy with a small package but didn't make Diesel look weak because he absolutely destroyed him with powerbombs. Punk also had numerous Hart/123Kid spots during his match with Darby Allin too.

I can see why some people didn't like it - they could have quite easily just had Wardlow walk away when MJF was berating him and got himself counted out or they could have done a double count out when Wardlow put Punk through the table - but I didn't HATE this finish either.

Plus the crowd was fucking HOT for Wardlow/MJF.

UNLESS...

Storm means he doesn't care about Punk/MJF anymore and instead cares about Wardlow/MJF - which in that case, he has a point.

It's the more important feud.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If they put it in the main event and actually had Wardlow go over, they could have elevated him significantly. Instead they had Punk basically no sell 8 powerbombs including 1 through a table and had Wardlow lose. AEW has this bad habit of frequently not closing with their most important stuff, which makes it feel unimportant, and they don't give a fuck about logic or psychology, at all. Moves mean nothing.

I appreciate that Tony Khan tries when booking the show, Vince McMahon sure doesn't anymore, and having another national company is good for the business, but if we're being real, Tony Khan has absolutely no idea what he's doing. Cm Punk and Brian Danielson feel like midcarders in a company significantly smaller than WWE. I mean, how is that even possible? Khan has basically beat Bryan and Punk clean in the middle on dynamite and he did it in the middle of the card, not even the main event.

·
Registered
664 Posts
CM Punks selling of the power bombs did more for Wardlow in 10 minutes than 2 years worth of non nonsensical typical aew horseshit booking. For those complaining about the rollup finish....what did you expect Punk to do? A top rope elbow drop? Thats the type of finish a moron like seth rollins would do (his match with lesnar at summerslam where he sold the rib injury for a week but all of a sudden hes fine and can do a frog splash). The match was brilliant and everyone came out better for it...the crowd was into it big time.
Punk is such a breath of fresh air for aew.... one of the few talents left in the business that understands the nuances and psychology of wrestling. He is a modern day Bret Hart.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
CM Punks selling of the power bombs did more for Wardlow in 10 minutes than 2 years worth of non nonsensical typical aew horseshit booking. For those complaining about the rollup finish....what did you expect Punk to do? A top rope elbow drop? Thats the type of finish a moron like seth rollins would do (his match with lesnar at summerslam where he sold the rib injury for a week but all of a sudden hes fine and can do a frog splash). The match was brilliant and everyone came out better for it...the crowd was into it big time.
Punk is such a breath of fresh air for aew.... one of the few talents left in the business that understands the nuances and psychology of wrestling. He is a modern day Bret Hart.

I don't have a problem with the finish. It's more or so the Long term booking that is happening to this guy. Protecting him like Cody because they need it. If punk didn't need protecting of his imagine he wouldn't need protecting. It just says a lot about whats happening.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If they put it in the main event and actually had Wardlow go over, they could have elevated him significantly. Instead they had Punk basically no sell 8 powerbombs including 1 through a table and had Wardlow lose. AEW has this bad habit of frequently not closing with their most important stuff, which makes it feel unimportant, and they don't give a fuck about logic or psychology, at all. Moves mean nothing.

I appreciate that Tony Khan tries when booking the show, Vince McMahon sure doesn't anymore, and having another national company is good for the business, but if we're being real, Tony Khan has absolutely no idea what he's doing. Cm Punk and Brian Danielson feel like midcarders in a company significantly smaller than WWE. I mean, how is that even possible? Khan has basically beat Bryan and Punk clean in the middle on dynamite and he did it in the middle of the card, not even the main event.
[email protected] Punk no selling the power bombs. He sold the shit out of them. Wardlow has never looked like more of a beast than he does right now. The W or the L is irrelevant.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I think we’re beyond ready for the Punk-MJF match. They may have blown their hype load too soon because every week that goes it gets less juicy.

·
Waiting for Kawato
3,051 Posts
It was a tricky thing to navigate, but like he says, I think Punk can talk himself out of the hole, and Wardlow got a massive rub out of that. Wardlow-MJF definitely got the bigger kick out of that match than MJF-Punk though, yes.

My biggest issue with the whole thing is they're literally doing the exact same thing they just did with Jericho over again where MJF makes him run through other guys first. I'd much rather have Punk talking next week than beating up the job guy, as if that'll make up for this.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Storm is saying that the match hurt everyone involved. Punk was demolished, Wardlow lost, the match should have been months later as the last angle before Wardlow moved to the world title match. They screwed this up every way you couldn't imagine a wrestling promotion screwing it up.

They have no excuses. Khan has millions of dollars he could spend on writers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Storm is ridiculously conservative with his wrestling opinions. Bret Hart wasn’t buried and they ran the exact same angle with Diesel. Bret took one of the greatest table bumps ever in that match.

Storm also has archaic views on how fans should talk about wrestlers. He may have even told TK himself at deathvalleydriver.com forums.

He has opinions that aren’t relevant for us fans to take that seriously. He should have been a little bigger than he ended up being thanks to WWE. ECW and WCW booked him and got him over. WWE booked him out of spite after they ate his last two promotions. They saw a guy with weaknesses in projecting a big personality. That ruined his rep FOREVER. You can meme off Lance Storm 24 hours a day. I wonder how Storm gets along with Austin today.

I disagree with most things he says when booking is involved. His takes on wrestlers is interesting and important as a trainer of many many wrestlers today. He IS smarter than your Bully Rays, or Konnan or obviously Disco so it is easier to listen or read his opinions in print. He is also not taking out grudges against his enemies like the Cornettes of the world. He’s also not conflating wrestling with politics or pop culture either. Whether that is a positive or a negative is up to each individual to decide.

·
Sassy Southern
Bless Your Heart
6,380 Posts
I like storm and he can have his opinion like everyone else.

I loved the match.

I think wrestling is better when viewed as a fan rather than a critic.
Best line that I have seen on this forum in a long time (other than when people are being silly).

21 - 40 of 55 Posts