Wrestling Forum banner

Do you agree with Lance Storm?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Former WWE Intercontinental Champion Lance Storm believes the CM Punk vs. Wardlow match on this week’s AEW Dynamite was “a very damaging segment” and makes him not care about the Punk vs. MJF rivalry anymore.

Speaking on the latest Wrestling Observer Live, Storm explained why Pinnacle stablemates MJF and Wardlow teasing their split is the more intriguing storyline going forward.

“It was like, ‘Oh my god, Wardlow lost,” Storm said. “Wardlow’s going to be angry about this.’ Wardlow had two visual victories over Punk. Wardlow was the rightful winner. And it’s like, this segment damaged Punk a lot.

“It completely made me not care about Punk-MJF anymore. Everyone’s into MJF-Wardlow. Quite probably, because they’re good promo guys, they can dig themselves out of this hole. But I don’t understand putting them [Punk in particular] this deep in a whole that they have to talk their way out of. This was a very damaging segment.”

As noted, CM Punk vs. Shawn Spears has been announced for next week’s Dynamite. The Punk vs. MJF match is rumored to take place at the AEW Revolution pay-per-view on March 6.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Storm's opinion seems the exact opposite of some of the people here, who didn't like it because they thought it buried Wardlow, not Punk.

Weird how we can all interpret the same thing in different ways
If anything, I'd go with this one too.

Long term though, they're taking the Triple H - Batista route here. Wardlow looked dominating and clearly would have won, but lost due to MJF's poor guidance. Storyline considered, it was the only way out of this without further damage to either.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It proves the point that Punk is there to really help the others. It doesnt matter that he got the pin at the end. Whats matters is he made people care about Wardlow.

On the other hand, the MJF/Punk feud is way too stretched out. Its one of those situations where having a ppv each month is more beneficial. They would get a great buyrate for a ppv a week after their first heated promo that went viral. Now, a month or so after people simply have moved on.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I can see where Robot is coming from, but I do disagree with him. Wardlow is getting a decent push and needs to continue being booked strong.

That match was designed for the inevitable Wardlow breakaway. It was not designed really to further the punk MJF feud, although it did because punk is now closer to the world title than MJF.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
This is a bit incoherent from storm. For me the finish was badly booked. 8 power bombs cant put away punk who struggles to beat jobbers every week. What more has wardlow got.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I took it like this:

I expected Punk to win comfortably after MJF/Spears interference gone wrong to protect Wardlow. But then it would have done nothing for Wardlow. Wardlow is supposed to grow by each match. Here he showed he's the real deal and can be a viable main event level talent if unchained from MJF. That's how they got Batista over. If you don't treat him like he's a big deal, nobody will believe it.

We are so used to seeing smaller guys comfortably beating bigger guys in AEW, which is why Storm probably is of this opinion. Wardlow is the young promising talent that needs to be made in tandem with MJF as a heel. Punk did what he's supposed to do. Made him look like a million bucks.

Now, for me atleast, the perspective has shifted from "k he's just another big guy" to "he could be something special with right booking".

It has been 2 years already as a bodyguard in the shadows. I think the MJF/Wardlow split is coming very soon. Wardlow seems like he's ready too. This booking helped Wardlow being established as a force to be reckoned with, but MJF is holding him back out of insecurity. Punk will definitely bring it up and this will probably be the first big crack in MJF/Wardlow split.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I always liked Lance Storm, but for someone, knowing his focus only on workrate and severe lack of storytelling and character building, I don’t think he should criticize it. The crowd ate it up, they are building on 2 story lines in one match, Wardlow looked like a beast, Punk the veteran with a Hail Mary move, didn’t lose his streak that’s probably reserved for someone else later.

Wardlow looks impressive and dominating still. I thought the Cage match against Cody hurt him significantly more than a fluke loss against CM Punk.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What if Wardlow had actually pinned Punk at the point that MJF interfered?

-Wardlow looks like a star.
-MJF can go to town on Punk in promos while having a concerned eye on Wardlow being better than he thought.
-Punk is humbled and needs to become Punk2.0 while admitting he took his eyes off the match in hand.

Could that had worked better than the ending they went with?

·
rasslin
9,574 Posts
I disagree with Storm. I thought the match was done well.

Wardlow looked better than hes ever looked in AEW. I don't think CM Punks all that damaged from this, that horse left the barn when we went 15 mins with evan bourne

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,742 Posts
I didn't enjoy the segment because its just more of AEW having a 50-60 year old old go over fresher newer talent. People bitch about it when WWE does it but have no issue with Punk, Sting, etc never losing or making anyone else look good in AEW.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
The match achieved a lot of things, and they're all good IMO.

Punk's undefeated streak was kept alive.
Wardlow was made to look strong as fuck.
MJF's arrogance led to Wardlow's defeat, setting up Wardlow's face turn and split from The Pinnacle.
The Punk/MJF feud was furthered, by MJF forcing Wardlow to keep powerbombing Punk.

Everyone seemed to come out of the segment looking good, maybe except Punk who got the snot beat out of him because he was dustracted by MJF at ringside.

My only real criticism was that, because it was so clear that Punk would be winning, despite the beat down, the "Surprise Roll Up" win was expected. Although, I probably only dislike the surprise roll up finish because WWE gives us about 17,000 of those per week, and it feels so done to death.

Maybe what Lance has to realize is that this is AEW, where people are often involved in several storylines at once. THe fact that this makes me look forward to the MJF/Wardlow match, does not detract from the excitement for MJF/Punk. I am hyped for both, which means that AEW is doing a great job of making MJF a big deal.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I thought the match and story told was awesome.

Punk still won and he's already a completely made guy
Wardlow looked completely dominant and only lost because MJF wouldn't let him end the match.
The crowd went bananas when it looked like Wardlow might turn on MJF.

All three guys did an amazing job. Punk sold his ass off, MJF was a bastard heel and Wardlow is getting that Batista reaction.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with Storm.

Punk will be fine. He's already established and over as a top guy. This doesn't hurt him at all This made Warlow look like a star.

It was also the first time in many, many years that I was excited by a good guy turning on someone. That's how good a job MJF has done in making me hate him. It's rare these days that wrestlers are good enough to be unlikable.

I didn't enjoy the segment because its just more of AEW having a 50-60 year old old go over fresher newer talent. People bitch about it when WWE does it but have no issue with Punk, Sting, etc never losing or making anyone else look good in AEW.
Punk made Wardlow look great! He's also only 43. I also expect one of their few genuine stars to win a lot.

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,742 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with Storm.

Punk will be fine. He's already established and over as a top guy. This doesn't hurt him at all This made Warlow look like a star.

It was also the first time in many, many years that I was excited by a good guy turning on someone. That's how good a job MJF has done in making me hate him. It's rare these days that wrestlers are good enough to be unlikable.

Punk made Wardlow look great! He's also only 43. I also expect one of their few genuine stars to win a lot.
Punk made MJF look like an inept buffoon again.

MJF hasn't got one over Punk at all in this feud. While the old guy continues to never ever lose. Again its something that in the WWE it would be shat on by most, but because its AEW people love seeing old guys destroy the new guys.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm torn on this, it made Wardlow feel like a bigger player but at the same time Punk's value and is "hot" return is wearing super fast due to his terrible booking/exposure. But I still care for this feud since its two of the best talkers. What I hate to see repeated is that in every feud the babyface has to go through MJF's lackeys to get to him. It's stale at this point. It happened with Cody, it happened with Jericho and now Punk.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Punk made MJF look like an inept buffoon again.

MJF hasn't got one over Punk at all in this feud. While the old guy continues to never ever lose. Again its something that in the WWE it would be shat on by most, but because its AEW people love seeing old guys destroy the new guys.
MJF will beat Punk at Revolution

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I liked it put over Punk's determination and craftiness. Gave Wardlow more reason to turn on MJF. Protected Wardlow as an absolute monster who only lost because he was distracted. And gave MJF more to do. I think people are overthinking it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts