Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time iv watched nxt outside the takeovers for this first episode of the weekly show. Some great talent on show. Better commentators than the main roster too. Only criticism I have was there seemed to very little story telling on show and hardly a promo in sight. Just match after match it seemed ending in some mad pointless brawl to give everyone some airtime. Short match build ups and lack of story telling is a big problem with current wwe. They will need to sort this out at least for this show or I for one will be watching aew to see if its better.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,544 Posts
The closest thing to a Storlyine modern day WWE can produce is "who can do the most flips in a match". So I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,188 Posts
I think the NXT storylines either end up extremely simplistic or nonsensical but I've been getting a lot of push back from people who seem to think the storytelling is great. I imagine you'll be hearing from all of them in this thread.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The closest thing to a Storlyine modern day WWE can produce is "who can do the most flips in a match". So I wouldn't hold your breath.
With the young Bucks calling the shots I imagine aew will suffer from that too a bit. Gets boring eventually doing 20 flips and kicking out of a dozen finishers in one match. Signs are they might have some better build up to matches though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think the NXT storylines either end up extremely simplistic or nonsensical but I've been getting a lot of push back from people who seem to think the storytelling is great. I imagine you'll be hearing from all of them in this thread.
There wasn't any story telling in this episode really. Did anyone actually do a promo? Walter had an angle of sorts but it didn't make much sense. Maybe HHH doesn't trust them. Wrestling is pretty boring if it's just matches with no story behind them. NXT seems to have good wrestlers but they concentrate on flashy entrances and fan chants rather than let the wrestlers develop their own characters.

·
Registered
24,514 Posts
I mean, it may not be what you perceive as storytelling.

But the opening match was driven by the current story of Io vs. Candice. The Dream vs. Roddy match had been built up for weeks with a year long storyline backing it up as well of TUE getting all the gold, Walter and Kushida started a new story, and Riddle and Dain incited a brawl because of their chaos.

I mean I feel like I've said it at nauseam at this point, but storylines aren't just told through talking on a microphone or a video package. They're also done bell to bell, and NXT did a good job of that this week.

And for the 1st week, especially for the 1st hour, I don't blame them for going that route. That 1 show had matches that were built to and had weight to them, which is what I would want for the USA debut. Won't work every week, obviously.

But for people to keep saying there were no storylines or even a lack of storylines, I don't see what you're seeing.

I mean, you could at least say my name. :D

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
If you're saying more Malcolm Bevins is needed, then I agree.

If not, I don't know what to tell you.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,188 Posts
I mean, it may not be what you perceive as storytelling.

But the opening match was driven by the current story of Io vs. Candice. The Dream vs. Roddy match had been built up for weeks with a year long storyline backing it up as well of TUE getting all the gold, Walter and Kushida started a new story, and Riddle and Dain incited a brawl because of their chaos.

I mean I feel like I've said it at nauseam at this point, but storylines aren't just told through talking on a microphone or a video package. They're also done bell to bell, and NXT did a good job of that this week.

And for the 1st week, especially for the 1st hour, I don't blame them for going that route. That 1 show had matches that were built to and had weight to them, which is what I would want for the USA debut. Won't work every week, obviously.

But for people to keep saying there were no storylines or even a lack of storylines, I don't see what you're seeing.

I mean, you could at least say my name. :D
Lol I forgot who I was talking to and didn't feel like looking it up.

You actually weren't the only person defending NXT's razor thin storylines, I don't remember who the other person(s) was/were either.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath for lighting either. While I hate mood lighting of the crowd, I love it when you can see the crowd in normal lighting and take in their reactions. Especially in stadium shows.

NXT fans seem to want the arena - whether its Full Sail or a sold out stadium - to be pitch black, with four flashlights illuminating a black ring mat where two wrestlers with short black tights wrestler for 25 minutes.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The only real thing going on for me is Daijakovic/Lee and Gargano/Cole.

But those are done, seemingly.

I'm hyped for what WALTER is gonna do, though.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Lol, there were plenty of stories on this show. In the first hour we got the story of Io Shirai being the best women's wrestler in the world but Candice LeRae earning a title shot against a bad-ass bitch who has a bad-ass posse. That's a story.

Cameron Grimes is on a tear and he's out there to stomp fools in the head. That's a story.

Roderick Strong is part of a faction that wants to hold all the gold. An arrogant babyface walked into a fight and perhaps overlooked his opponent, fought valiantly, but was overwhelmed by the numbers. That's a story.

There are two bitches who hang out with each other and a young woman from China who is a little green, but has the backing of a nation behind her. That's a story.

There is this group called Imperium and they treat the mat as their sacred place. They've made an enemy out of this guy named Kushida who isn't around to back down. That's a story.

There's this guy named Lio Rush, and he was a cocky asshole that stepped on toes, but he was going through some mental health stuff, now he's gotten his head on straight and looking for redemption. He's earnt a title shot in his chosen division. That's a story.

There are these two dudes named Matt Riddle and Killian Dain. They hate each other and beat the piss out of each other. They cannot be contained in the ring and both want to go after Adam Cole and his NXT Title. They fought all over the place and everyone else got involved. That's a story.

There was no bullshit like "Who got this woman pregnant?" or "Holy shit! There's a finger in a box! Whose finger is that?! Tune in next week!!!" But that's a perversion of what wrestling used to be. That was Vince Russo shit, and believe it or not, it didn't work as well as people thought it did. Austin and Rock were stars. That worked. They often avoided the silly shit.

It's pretty obvious what Triple H is trying to do. He's trying to establish a subtle pro-wrestling program that doesn't beat you over the head with the obvious, nor offend people's intelligence with too much exposition. Things were advanced. Things happened. When you look at the beginning of something and look at the end of something and ask yourself "what's changed?" That's a story. Candice LeRae is the #1 Contender for the Women's Title, Velveteen Dream lost his title, Roderick Strong won his first singles title, WALTER is here, Lio Rush is looking for redemption and Matt Riddle and Killian Dain have shit they need to sort out because we don't know who Adam Cole is fighting next. That is a lot of story.

Triple H is also trying to get his talent over to the point where you want to inherently follow them and see what they do. He hasn't bashed you over the head with it, but Velveteen Dream beating himself is supposed to be a frustrating hook, because you're supposed to love Dream and want to see him win. They didn't smash you over the head with "OMG! WATCH NEXT WEEK TO SEE HOW DREAM RESPONDS!" but people know it's going to happen. Well, at least they're supposed to. It might be a crawl to a walk before he can sprint in that direction.

Were there a lot of promos? No. I love me a good promo, but you don't need a promo-heavy show every week. Ideally, a promo is supposed to promote something. This was a debut show. The product itself was a promo. You will get interviews, hype videos and promos. They just didn't happen on this particular show because they were delivering matches. This will help emphasize promos and help them stand out. If you can get more over by going out there and doing something in the ring, then maybe it's best to do that and leave the promos to the people who get more over doing them?

NXT was pretty much the closest thing we've had to proper pro-wrestling in a long time, outside the presentation of the main event singles stuff in AEW. You will get promos in the future. But as for there being no story? That's just objectively wrong.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Lol, there were plenty of stories on this show. In the first hour we got the story of Io Shirai being the best women's wrestler in the world but Candice LeRae earning a title shot against a bad-ass bitch who has a bad-ass posse. That's a story.

Cameron Grimes is on a tear and he's out there to stomp fools in the head. That's a story.

Roderick Strong is part of a faction that wants to hold all the gold. An arrogant babyface walked into a fight and perhaps overlooked his opponent, fought valiantly, but was overwhelmed by the numbers. That's a story.

There are two bitches who hang out with each other and a young woman from China who is a little green, but has the backing of a nation behind her. That's a story.

There is this group called Imperium and they treat the mat as their sacred place. They've made an enemy out of this guy named Kushida who isn't around to back down. That's a story.

There's this guy named Lio Rush, and he was a cocky asshole that stepped on toes, but he was going through some mental health stuff, now he's gotten his head on straight and looking for redemption. He's earnt a title shot in his chosen division. That's a story.

There are these two dudes named Matt Riddle and Killian Dain. They hate each other and beat the piss out of each other. They cannot be contained in the ring and both want to go after Adam Cole and his NXT Title. They fought all over the place and everyone else got involved. That's a story.

There was no bullshit like "Who got this woman pregnant?" or "Holy shit! There's a finger in a box! Whose finger is that?! Tune in next week!!!" But that's a perversion of what wrestling used to be. That was Vince Russo shit, and believe it or not, it didn't work as well as people thought it did. Austin and Rock were stars. That worked. They often avoided the silly shit.

It's pretty obvious what Triple H is trying to do. He's trying to establish a subtle pro-wrestling program that doesn't beat you over the head with the obvious, nor offend people's intelligence with too much exposition. Things were advanced. Things happened. When you look at the beginning of something and look at the end of something and ask yourself "what's changed?" That's a story. Candice LeRae is the #1 Contender for the Women's Title, Velveteen Dream lost his title, Roderick Strong won his first singles title, WALTER is here, Lio Rush is looking for redemption and Matt Riddle and Killian Dain have shit they need to sort out because we don't know who Adam Cole is fighting next. That is a lot of story.

Triple H is also trying to get his talent over to the point where you want to inherently follow them and see what they do. He hasn't bashed you over the head with it, but Velveteen Dream beating himself is supposed to be a frustrating hook, because you're supposed to love Dream and want to see him win. They didn't smash you over the head with "OMG! WATCH NEXT WEEK TO SEE HOW DREAM RESPONDS!" but people know it's going to happen. Well, at least they're supposed to. It might be a crawl to a walk before he can sprint in that direction.

Were there a lot of promos? No. I love me a good promo, but you don't need a promo-heavy show every week. Ideally, a promo is supposed to promote something. This was a debut show. The product itself was a promo. You will get interviews, hype videos and promos. They just didn't happen on this particular show because they were delivering matches. This will help emphasize promos and help them stand out. If you can get more over by going out there and doing something in the ring, then maybe it's best to do that and leave the promos to the people who get more over doing them?

NXT was pretty much the closest thing we've had to proper pro-wrestling in a long time, outside the presentation of the main event singles stuff in AEW. You will get promos in the future. But as for there being no story? That's just objectively wrong.
I don't need to further your point but just to add, we also now have a few extra elements to build on each story. Well except for the women because it's a decent enough story.

But rush vs gulak is a clash of styles not just a I want your title story. Flash and style vs getting the job done scientifically and through force. Arrogance vs dominance.

Kushida vs Walter european vs Japanese style, honor defended through pure means and a twisted idea of honor. And if kushida picks the Welsh warriors this week we get another story told when aichner and Bartel chase them

And dream vs Cole. Your revenge story.

Simple works, njpw excels on simplicity. Honestly nxts debut on usa felt like an americanized njpw presentation. Aside from the main event clusterfuck. Though one could argue that is your standard Suzuki gun or bullet club finish lol

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts

I don't need to further your point but just to add, we also now have a few extra elements to build on each story. Well except for the women because it's a decent enough story.

But rush vs gulak is a clash of styles not just a I want your title story. Flash and style vs getting the job done scientifically and through force. Arrogance vs dominance.

Kushida vs Walter european vs Japanese style, honor defended through pure means and a twisted idea of honor. And if kushida picks the Welsh warriors this week we get another story told when aichner and Bartel chase them

And dream vs Cole. Your revenge story.

Simple works, njpw excels on simplicity. Honestly nxts debut on usa felt like an americanized njpw presentation. Aside from the main event clusterfuck. Though one could argue that is your standard Suzuki gun or bullet club finish lol
Counter point. Maybe it was easier for us to understand as we have been following the story whereas new viewers may struggle last week? I will also say the main event finish I hated. No contest in a street fight is something I will always hate.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Counter point. Maybe it was easier for us to understand as we have been following the story whereas new viewers may struggle last week? I will also say the main event finish I hated. No contest in a street fight is something I will always hate.
Not particularly. Shayna looks like a heel with her posse and arrogance so it's easier to side with Candace.

I'll grant you rush cause gulak wasn't there.

Walter vs kushida again the same visual as shayna and Candace.

And dream vs the ue, that doesn't need explaining.

You don't need to be read a story to understand it if it has pictures.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,426 Posts
I give the redeployed show a few tries, before I start calling it bad. :)

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
The storylines on NxT have always been very small fry compared to the main roster. The main roster stories seem to be this big bombastic over the top over complicated stories. NxT the stories are very simple and thats not a bad thing the best stories are usually ones with more simpler storytelling.

Only stories going right now are Io v Candice and Dominik Dijakovic v Keith Lee. NxT have came off their last TakeOver so a lot of stories have ended. I do feel the first two hour show was more an exhibition more than naything. So I am not surprised you didn't see any stories this week. Hopefully NxT should begin some new feuds and so on. Seems NxT did put on some set ups on their first 2 hour show so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,374 Posts
Not particularly. Shayna looks like a heel with her posse and arrogance so it's easier to side with Candace.

I'll grant you rush cause gulak wasn't there.

Walter vs kushida again the same visual as shayna and Candace.

And dream vs the ue, that doesn't need explaining.

You don't need to be read a story to understand it if it has pictures.
I don't know. Again I ain't doubting there are stories but if you jump part way in it can be hard to see. Some of this feels like we know about them. I think in future weeks a few video packages here and there might help get the message accross a bit better and catch people up so they understand the story being told better

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
So you expected the debut episode of nxt on cable to feature a bunch of promos, wacky skits and brawls between two guys..were you expecting one hour of raw on Wednesday night.

The storylines were already there. Candice has been feuding with io for weeks and now bested her. Strong was feuding with Dream, burned his couch and now bested him. Dain and Riddle have been feuding for weeks.

Wednesday night was supposed to be culmination of weeks of angles not the creation of angles. It would be the equivalent of watching Summerslam just gone and complaining we got no 'storylines'

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
I only watched the highlights so I had to ask what about promo work in the live thread, I got a good reply and a couple of NXT Cultist insulting me xDDD

But the cool guy that answer me told me I had to lower my standards a lot in the promo aspect of NXT, so i guess such things like story lines and promos are not the forte of NXT.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

And breath! Your mixing up characters abd story telling. There wasn't much of the latter in the show. If your are 5 to 12 years old you could see it as story telling. If you watched wrestling in the 80s and 90s then it's pathetic. I'll grant you nxt is better than the main roster but only because HHH is trying to copy the appeal of indy wrestling but it is still constrained badly by the wwe machine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts