Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
OK Eggman, bring it on!
3,270 Posts
I think one massive problem, particularly with face characters like Cena and Kofi Kingston is a complete lack of agression and passion, so it's extremely difficult as a fan to give a shit about them.

If you look at why someone like Stone Cold was so popular, it was because when Vince McMahon would come out and try to screw him week after week after week with crazy match stipulations and unfair odds, Austin retaliated with all the force he could and didn't take it lying down. If Vince or another heel would stand in the ring mocking Austin, Austin wouldn't just stand around smiling and making cheeseball jokes, Austin would maybe say a few things then try to punch his lights out.

Nowadays guys like Cena just do their goofy cornball promos with little meaning to them, make small children and girls laugh, the rest of us fpalm and then they just leave the ring. Actions speak louder than words a lot of the time. Guys like that don't have to turn heel or even 'tweener' to give themselves more depth but they do have to show that they're believable and actually care enough about a given situation to do something about it.

If someone like Punk or Jericho or The Rock tells Cena that he only appeals to little kids to his face, instead of talking about it, he should just throw his mic down and sock it to the other guy. Give himself an edge. A reason for the heel to actually be worried. And a reason for us poor suckers watching at home to maybe think 'Hey, this guy is actually a legit badass! Can't wait to see this fight!'

They could still quite easily do things like this within the realms of the PG rating as well, but no, they're choosing the childish cookie cutter superhero acts instead. Ryback, as much as I don't like his push (at the moment) is a break from the norm at least, and people are responding to it in a positive way. It's not so much that the characters need depth, but they do need to connect with the audience. They can't do that if they just stand around and take shit from people wearing a 'Rise Above Hate!' T Shirt, saying 'I was bullied at school, I really wanted to be called Joey instead!' or (in the case of the cookie cutter cowardly heels) running away the moment someone even looks at them the wrong way. We need (and want) characters who can be either good or bad but are also willing to back it up. We're just not getting that at the moment, for the most part.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I think one massive problem, particularly with face characters like Cena and Kofi Kingston is a complete lack of agression and passion, so it's extremely difficult as a fan to give a shit about them.
One thing that most definitely irked me was when both John Cena & Sheamus lost their respective World titles, the top prizes in their profession supposedly, neither man gave a fuck. In fact, John Cena was like "whatever, I can get it back later" & Sheamus came out smiling & telling jokes."It was fun, fella!" That's fucking great. Way to bury both wins/losses & the championships.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
One thing that most definitely irked me was when both John Cena & Sheamus lost their respective World titles, the top prizes in their profession supposedly, neither man gave a fuck. In fact, John Cena was like "whatever, I can get it back later" & Sheamus came out smiling & telling jokes."It was fun, fella!" That's fucking great. Way to bury both wins/losses & the championships.
Sheamus said it himself. He didn't come to the WWE to win all the time. He came to the WWE to FIGHT. That's a huge character development to me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think that says more about the state of the WWE and it's titles. Sheamus lost his title sure, but in this current climate... title shots are handed out like gift baskets. The truth is it really isn't a big deal these days when you lose the title because you'll probably have another shot at it in no time.

I miss the old days of having real contenders, and challenges. When Warrior was the champion, he had the right to turn down Macho's challenge for the title. The championship just used to feel so big and important. When a new champion was crowned, it was a monumental moment that would send shockwaves throughout the WWF. Now it's just.. "HEY FELLA I'M JUST HERE FOR A FOYT!!!"

The truth is it's hard to cherish a title that's on the line practically 15 times a year.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Actually Sheamus's post loss promo was one of the best in WWE recently. He didn't come here to always win, he came here to FIGHT. Thats what his gimmick is about. All this time they had turned him into an Irish version of Cena, when in reality he is awesome as an irish version of Triple H.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If Sheamus just wants to fight, fine, but don't smile & tell jokes after losing the World title. That doesn't help anything or anyone.

·
Here he comes...
937 Posts
I completely agree. A lot of the current roster flip from face to heel or vice versa and with that switch comes a complete personality change. There are certain people (Randy Orton is the first name to spring to mind) who have personalities that are ever present whether face or heel. It's worrying that the majority of today's roster don't have three dimensional characters.

Spot on, OP. We need gimmicks back.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts