Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed a few years back that almost every new wrestler gets some generic move as a finisher (and sadly keeps it even after few years).

Lets take Ziggler for an example.The guy is so talented he could perform any move imaginable and they give him a freakin Sleeper Hold and some horendous keep up move that they call Zig-Zag.Let me ask you something,who in the blue hell will remember Ziggler's finishers in 20 years like we remember Tombstone or Jake's DDT?Finishers are the final touch on every wrestling personality,sugar on top.Now im not saying that the finishers are the most important part of a moveset but tell me who the hell would Steve Austin be if he didn't take Mikey Whipwreck's Stunner?Although he was just a drunken redneck who could only punch and botch a cutter,combined with his unbeliveable charisma his finisher took him where he is today.Same goes for Pedigree,Tombstone..........It really takes a very special persona to get over like Austin did (or close) without a great finisher like Stunner or Pedigree.These exceptions are very rare(Raven,Macho man,Ricky Steamboat) and i am most certain that the likes of Ziggler,the Miz,DH Smith Tyson Kidd,......well almost anybody on the roster are NOT one of those excetions.

Those finishers dont have to be Burning Hammer,Tiger Driver 91,Kudo Driver or Brainbustahhhhh.Look at Yoshi Tatsu,this jobber uses the Shining Wizard while the WWE champion uses that godawful full nelson facebuster with even more godawful name.

·
*something amusing*
1,929 Posts
The thing is, back in the day, moves like the Pedigree, the tombstone piledriver and the Stone Cold Stunner were all original moves. Theres only so many things you can you to another person before you start running out of ideas imo which is why MVP, Shelton Benjamin and Ziggler were all using a very similar move but each gave it a different name.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I agree with this to an extent, but also agree that it must be pretty difficult to come up with original moves, especially ones that look like they could end a match.

I suppose it's also one of the big features of the Indie scene that somebody can have a finisher that is a pretty common move, but just execute it really, really well, so hopefully it has enough impact to look legitimately like it would finish a match (like Takeshi Morishima's Belly-to-Back Suplex).

I'm not entirely sure that a lot of WWE talent quite have what it takes to fit into this category though, for example I don't see anything wrong with somebody having a top rope elbow drop for a finisher, but when Hawkins ends a match with it you think "was that it?"

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I've noticed this as well. The worst finisher has got to be 'The Wasteland' though. Seriously thats the most horrible piece of shit move ever. I didn't know you can make the Attitude Adjustment look painful....

Theres only so many things you can you to another person before you start running out of ideas imo which is why MVP, Shelton Benjamin and Ziggler were all using a very similar move but each gave it a different name.
I don't believe this at all. There are A TON of unique, very creative(and more painful looking) finishers that exist in the Indys, Japan, Mexico, etc. that alot of the wrestlers could use. Its just because of the WWE's watered down style and the handcuffs put on the the guys, they can't do 90% of them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are literally hundreds and hundreds moves out there and anyone with half a brain can come up with some sort of variation of said moves so i really cant see why Heath Slater,Shelton Benjamin,MVP and Ziggler(before) have to use the same one.If they are so unimaginitive i recommend creative to watch some indy or puro,maybe they get some sort of inspiration.The most ridicilous one as of late is giving Swagger the Ankle Lock-it just roots even more the opinion of him being just a wannabe Angle.They could as well give a heel hook,romero stretch or any freakin submission move,but no,they have to go with the Ankle lock,its just so ridicilous and pathetic.Who the hell is sitting in those chairs in creative?Did these guys ever see a wrestling match or are they just some washed up Hollywood B movie producers?
Same goes for Barret and so many others its not even funny.All those "finishers" either look like they could not even be used as signatures or they are just shameless ripoffs.If its just a blatant ripoff then at least modify it,put some twist in it like RKO.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Am I the only one who actually thinks the Wasteland is a decent finisher?

I agree with you on the whole, however. Many of the current finishers are very generic, and it's NOT because of some "shortage" of moves. There's a SMALL handful of moves that are synonymous with one wrestler and pretty much off-limits, but even something like the superkick will inevitably be used in WWE by someone other than Shawn Michaels.

I like the Zig Zag. I like how it comes out of nowhere and snaps the victim's head back and onto the mat.
I agree, though I hope they continue to portray the sleeper as a move that can legitimately end a match.

who the hell would Steve Austin be if he didn't take Mikey Whipwreck's Stunner?Although he was just a drunken redneck who could only punch and botch a cutter
If that's how you perceive Steve Austin, I have a few YouTube videos you need to watch.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There are literally hundreds and hundreds moves out there and anyone with half a brain can come up with some sort of variation of said moves so i really cant see why Heath Slater,Shelton Benjamin,MVP and Ziggler(before) have to use the same one.If they are so unimaginitive i recommend creative to watch some indy or puro,maybe they get some sort of inspiration.The most ridicilous one as of late is giving Swagger the Ankle Lock-it just roots even more the opinion of him being just a wannabe Angle.They could as well give a heel hook,romero stretch or any freakin submission move,but no,they have to go with the Ankle lock,its just so ridicilous and pathetic.Who the hell is sitting in those chairs in creative?Did these guys ever see a wrestling match or are they just some washed up Hollywood B movie producers?
Same goes for Barret and so many others its not even funny.All those "finishers" either look like they could not even be used as signatures or they are just shameless ripoffs.If its just a blatant ripoff then at least modify it,put some twist in it like RKO.
I agree they could do a bit of research to try and find some more unique moves, the only problem with that is you get a legion of IWC fans throwing fits because Mr Such and Such Wrestler in Obscure Promotion Championships used that move first and why do the WWE have to ruin everything!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
A unique finisher is the easiest way to get somebody over quickly, they should definitely invest some more effort into finishers rather than giving EVERYBODY the fucking overdrive :no: That move is the finishers equivalent of a whore, and not even a good one at that.
I like the Zig Zag. I like how it comes out of nowhere and snaps the victim's head back and onto the mat.
I like it too, check out 08:25, pulls it off really nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPcWuoRl5nw

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it too,but as a keep up move,not a finisher,imagine the potential in Dolph Ziggler,he could perform even the most technical moves.And please remember that while Ziggler has/had Zig Zag as a finisher Slam Master J was performing Lightning Spiral in squash matches with Chavo on Superstars.

Off topic,salute to Chavo's Gory Bomb,one of the greatest WWE finishers ever IMO,what ever happened to that move?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I sincerly wish that the wrestlers would come up with better finishers if they are in WWE...i mean i am so damn tired of seeing paydirt or the overdrive being used as a finisher...try to be a little innovative at least. Your finisher is your "trademark" in this industry, i mean one of our local talents over here is a newbie and the guy uses a slightly tweaked firemans carry(or attitude adjustment) by going along with the "AA's" momentum and finishes it off with a samoan drop style finish, it's simply a move of beauty and the flow looks so good and natural...my point is this guy is a newbie and came up with this, then you have guys going into the wwe using paydirt or the overdrive? That really ticks me off. Heck i use a burning hammer into a piledriver or either a scissors takedown with a rollthrough into a modified heelhold for wrestlers that are to big for me to pull my primary finisher or "clame to fame" off on.

A cool finisher helps not only to get a character over in most cases, but a cool finisher can even add to match quality.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Off topic,salute to Chavo's Gory Bomb,one of the greatest WWE finishers ever IMO,what ever happened to that move?
Chavo stopped winning matches, thats what.

I find this a strange topic, when you consider that the biggest name in the history of wrestling used a leg drop as a finisher. Bret Hart and Sting essentially had the exact same finisher around the same time. The Superkick is by no means a Shawn Michaels exclusive. The list could go on and on.

Overall I think its not so much about having a unique finisher, as how well you can execute it and build it up for the crowd. Take Sweet Chin Music as an example. The entertaining part of the move is the bit where he pulls himself to his feet in the ring corner, and then starts stamping.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
For some reason I think Ziggler should do a top rope elbow drop. Don't know why I feel that suits him...

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
On a completely random note, I think Matt Hardy's side effect could be a kick ass finisher.
I agree. I actually was surprised he didn't employ that as his finisher once everyone and his brother (Austin, Orton...well, Austin and Orton) was using a cutter in 2002-2003.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a completely random note, I think Matt Hardy's side effect could be a kick ass finisher.
I love that move,although i'm not a big fan of Fat Lardy.

On the side note,there are many wrestler's signatures that look much better compared to the same wrestler's finisher,i.e.:

MVP-Paydirt/Playmaker---------Corner Yakuza kick/Drive by fick
Ziggler-Zig Zag---------------Inverted Scoop Slam/Famouser
Kofi Kingston-Trouble in Paradise----------S.O.S.
Shelton Benjamin-Paydirt/T Bone Suplex---------------Buckle Powerbomb
Rey Mysterio-619-----------------------Dragonrana/Yoshi Tonic
William Regal-Power of the Punch----------------Regal Suplex

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Ziggler needs to get the superkick as a finisher, he performs it beautifully.
I agree. I have always felt, and still do, that the Zig Zag should be a signature move.

I think he should use the super kick and the Fameasser as his finishers. He pulled the super kick out in a few of his matches with Daniel Bryan and they were picture perfect.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts