Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this shit has been fucking pissing me off. I hear people everywhere talking about how Kurt Cobain inspired them. I don't get how the fuck how. How can an alcoholic, a druggy, a man who committed suicide be inspiring? Fuck dumbasses.

·
EIRE
15,862 Posts
I agree. I too am sick of people saying he inspired them. I don't really see how he did either, for he was high for basically every show they did. He was high in the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video. As I've said before, the best thing he did was put that gun in his mouth and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
He's over-rated because he's a dead pretty boy. Nirvana will never have anything on Alice in Chains.

·
Section.80 Baby
3,207 Posts
Simple fact is because he died... All of a sudden they become great, and all of a sudden people look up to what they've done in there music career. ( like 2pac and Biggie )I think they are all over-rated

Ya so i want to know as well, how he inspired people.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
A lot of people that say they were inspired were like kids when Nirvana was in their prime anyways.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
There's a reason people think the way most of ya's do. You see all the things people have labeled him, and ya cop-out to it. "Oh he was junky!" So's was the President! So was the President before him! Fuck, George and Abe both toked the leaf while nad slappin the asses of their "african farm workers"!!! So to fuckin hold that against him, you're basicaly sayin. "I just hate the guy...dunno why, but hey...he was a druggie. I'll go with that!" I smoke pot (and I've done alot of other things to boot) yet folks still value my opinion. They still appreciate my contributions. So for me, hey...it's easy for me to look past that.

"He killed himself, what a loser!" O.k. How many times have many of you contemplated takin your own life? Yea, you never acted upon it. But take into consideration the situations (though he put himself in most of'em) he was dealing with. A fuckin magazine gets on their high-horse and pretty much steals your child away because your dumbass selfish wife fucked up and smoked a butt during a photo shoot while she was 2 months (and unknowingly) pregnant. Then deal with the criticism that floods your way because with all the ideas circulating from the repercussions of that, everyone labels you as a junky. (After he gave it up. During this time, he had quit drugs. But since everyone wanted to dwell on the past and what they thought they knew, it drove him back to them.)

But wait, that's not all.

No, as we continue down memory lane, now his bandmates (including his best friend in Kris Novoselic) now alienate him and Courtney. But being under contract with Geffen, could he just walk away from'em? No. That'd be a breach, and would pretty much cripple the money that was comming his way. Which, was the only thing that could help him in his fight to regain custody of his child. (Legal fees, personal costs, etc.) Bills pile up in these sorta cases ya know. Quitting a band you've A)strived your whole life to accomplish and worked for and B)that was teetering the edge of greatness....not a good idea.

After time, things were getting better between the Nirvana camp. But I don't think Kurt every really forgave them for casting him out over the baby/drug issues.

I could keep goin on, but I think I've shown ya a pretty good idea of the point I'm tryin to make.

Nobodies life is perfect. This I know. But until you've walked someone's path, save your judgements. Because if you don't understand it from their point of view, you can't understand it all.

Now, as for being inspired by the guy. I am. I am greatly. And I'm damn proud of it too. For me it's a little more personal than yer average person though. Knowing all the things I know about him that I've seen/learned, through books, his music, conducted interviews, and so on. I find that me and him walk a similar line.

We both come from broken homes. We both share the same ideals in regards to music. Reading about the people he chose to hang with, our choice in friends are pretty much identical. His stance on women (in life and in rock) is pretty much where I stand. The first song he was taught...Back in Black (on the drums). The first song I was taught...Back in Black (on the drums). We both gave up that instrument in trade for the guitar. We're both self-taught guitarists. We both grew up as big Beatles fans. (Me from the age of 5, him around the same time) Alienated. Yup, I've been and so was he. (So many more things to list, but that'll do)

It's not the way he lived, but the life he lived that inspires me. And there's a huge difference between the two that hardly anyone sees.

The way he lived? Yea, he shot up. He off'ed himself. All choices that hey, maybe under different circumstances woulda been made differently. Maybe if the Vainty Fair article never saw the light of day he'd still be here. Can't say for sure.

But as the for the life he lived. He touched more people than most of you could ever hope to in a lifetime...in the short span of 5 years. He made music that 20...30...hell 50 years from now, will still be playing on the radio. He gave hope to a generation of youth, who at the time, needed a voice. And they got a wail worth rememberance.

If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain, I wouldn't have the passion I do for music. I probably would never have picked up a guitar. (He showed me ya didn't have to be supposedly "good" to play. Or even sound good!) And right now, in the shitter which my life has been swirlin around...without music, I wouldn't have a purpose. Outside of music and here, I'm fuckin lost. No clue in regards to a career. No motivation to roll outta bed half the time. But when I open my eye's in the mornin, 8ft away in the corner sits my customised rip-off strat. Covered in stickers, drawings, and other random shit. And it always gets the riffs I've made (complete with drums, bass, and vocals) playin in my head. And it reminds me I still have something left to do. There's a Rolling Stone cover with my picture on it out there in the vast great unknown. And it's my job to find a way there. And with Kurt....I wouldn't have that. That seed, and the possibility of it, it would never have been planted in my head. And frankly, it scares me to think of where I'd be then. Cuz I'm happy where I'm at. And I'm happy he gave us 27 years of a life well lived.

But hey! One man's treasure is an ignorant world's trash I guess.

Reactions: Diablo™

·
Jerichoholic
3,091 Posts
He was good at the time. Like when you were 7. As for inspiration.....maybe if you are on drugs.

·
Banned
3,338 Posts
I never even heard of Cobain untill like a couple of months ago.

And then I heard my first Nirvana song yesterday and now I have it on my mp3 player.

He sings about albinos and mosquitos and his libito. How can you not like the man.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
No offense but that's cuz you were 5 when he left the world. Highly doubt your were tuned into MTV in those days.

But this is one of the things I mean. Kids will always stumble upon his work. And even though you don't believe it now, he'll still be inspiring them for years and years to come. :agree:

Just another brownie point for our side! :D

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
I_AM_SlaM said:
No offense but that's cuz you were 5 when he left the world. Highly doubt your were tuned into MTV in those days.

But this is one of the things I mean. Kids will always stumble upon his work. And even though you don't believe it now, he'll still be inspiring them for years and years to come. :agree:

Just another brownie point for our side! :D
Nirvana are only pop culture because Kurt's dead, Nirvana would be at Pearl Jam's level of rememberence or less if Kurt hadn't passed on.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
I'm not denying if he didn't off himself no one would care right now. But the reality is he did. So don't try dealin me in what if's when what is is what matters.

I'll let ya's know one more thing. And this is probably the biggest reason I'm so "Cobain".

April 8th, 1994 - 12:13 p.m. (Exactly one week before my 12th Birthday)
I don't remember exactly the events of the day. But for some reason me and my mother were driving through my home town. We had just stopped at McDonald's. For some reason I remember it as a good day. But that goodness, and that last shred of my childhood innocence ran away as we drove on.
The local radio station I religiously tuned into for the last 5 years of my life broke in with an announcement. "We're now cutting in to let our listeners know that yes, Kurt Cobain has been declaired deceased due to a shotgun blast to his head. It's assumed that the gun shot was self inflicted. But nothing is known as fact as we sit here in shock to this late breaking developement. We will now continue with a non-stop hour of Nirvana. And with any more information, we will break to let you know."
Just this morning I was watching Heart Shaped Box on MTV. He's dead? I didn't understand it. My mother asked me if I was alright, because I got really quiet. (Which was unusual for me) I just didn't get it. I knew the whole death thing. (I lost my oldest brother just after I turned 7) But I didn't get how you could have it all...fame, money, talent...and blow it away. (My innocence shrouded the drugs, and all the back scene issues that were going on...which I'm thankful for. Cuz I saw him in a different light.)
This turned me into the thinker I've become. Watching Kurt Loder. Hearing Come as you Are play in the background while they show the Seattle home. Seeing the scene. It was all wrong. This wasn't supposed to happen. But it did happen. And it was now my job to find out why. I knew how. But the reasoning behind it just didn't add up. I don't believe in conspiracy theories. But the only way I'll understand this is by knowing what lead to it. Everything's a chain of event's. There's always a start. And drugged up and depressed isn't it.
Maybe it was the timing (having my birthday so near) that made me so interested in it. I now feel like it was an early gift. That this was what got me on my path. And as for where I've ended up ..well I can't say it's bad. But we all deal with our own trials and tribulations. Hopefuly I can deal with mine a little bit better than him.
But after learning about the things he dealt with, I now understand it a little bit better than I did before. Still sucks though.

::ripped from one of my sites::

Reactions: Damien_Draiman™

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
I find it strange so many fans love how big he's gotten, wearing his shirts, voting his songs to be played on radio and tv networks, when the only thing the man wanted, from my viewpoint, was to not be famous anymore. And all his fans then went and read his diary, I mean what the fuck? How is that respecting their "idol".

·
The Old Man
2,046 Posts
He was haunted internally, & like (for example) Hendrix, we'll never know what his full potential was.

I enjoyed Nirvana, & I still enjoy (Nirvanas ex drummer's band), & I liked Hole...they all have had something to offer the music world.

It is just a shame that ANYONE dies so young...just a damn shame...

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not a shame with Cobain. When you take your life, it's not a shame. Hell, I wouldn't really feel sorry for anybody who takes their own life.

N

·
0 Posts
I'm sure those who take their life don't want you to either....

What's the point in killing yourself to get "attention" or "sympathy?" You won't be around to see it.....

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
I still am not convinced that he took his life. I believe in that "conspiracy" where he was murdered then made to look like he killed himself.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Nirvana. Never was really. I remember the day he died. But that's about all. I also don't understand the diehard Cobain fans. It's a tragedy he's gone, but it's also time to let him rest in peace. As BDV said, what respect is that when his fans are reading his diary? Let the dead rest in peace. Stop trying to hold onto the past or whatever it is. It reminds me of the Princess Di thing. Atleast once every few months I see something either on TV, or on the magazine rack at a store, about her. Let her freaking rest in peace damnit.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
^^^ If you're a true diehard fan, you won't read his diary. I haven't and never plan to. The only reason that got released? Courtney needed money for Frances/her drugs. Had nothing to do with the fans. Had nothing to do with Kurt. Exactly the reason I didn't buy the greatest hits album. Cuz when money and Nirvana are mentioned, look how quickly the name changes into Courtney Cobain. She off'ed him. No doubt. Maybe not by her own hand, but she had something to do with it.

More info (this you can find at www.justiceforkurt.com) which I've read up on, which was produced by the private investigator Courtney attained in finding Kurt after he ditched the rehab center (Shortly before the suicide) will show you why the conspiracy theory is valid.

The whole time he was under contract by Courtney, he said he felt like she was misleading him. Sending him places that were known deadends. When he checked the Seatlle home the first time (Apr 1st) the nanny/house sitter showed him around the house, but failed to show him the garage. (Where Kurt was found days later deceased) The second time he returned to that home, there was a note found either on a bed in the house or the stairs (can't remember atm) that seemed fabricated. (The nanny left a note bitching out Kurt for being in the house without him knowing it) For more about the things this investigator dug up check out www.justiceforkurt.com

Also, the suicide note is highly questionable. Most of it is kinda vague in the fact that it could go in two different ways. He was giving up life. Or, he was just planning on giving up music and leaving Courtney. The last paragraph (which is the only portion which clearly points to suicide) is both written in a different style, and a different size. Maybe he wrote this after he injected himself with an amount of heroin that would kill off an elephant? Would explain the difference in text. But what goes against that is this.

In the ashtray that was found on the scene. There were a few different types of cigarettes. One kind had lipstick on them. (Which means atleast ONE other person was with him in the time he frequented the garage. Whether or not they were there at the time of his death may never be answered.

Another thing. The room, aside from his body, was completely picked up and in order. Down to the box he stored his drugs in. With the amount of heroin found in his bloodstream, just about every doctor under the sun will say there was no way he could've taken it, tucked everything away (even the used needle), and then steady up a shotgun into his mouth. No one would have the where-withall or the functional capability to pull it off. For the cleaned scene, some people believe those who are going to commit suicide will try to keep the area as spotless as possible. (To lessen the blow for those who find them) But this is usualy in regards to those who slash their wrists and bleed out in a tub. Not someone who plans to spread their brainmatter all over the room. So this further solidifies the fact that someone else could've been there. Thinking to make it look more like a suicide, they cleaned the place knowing what the cops went on.

Now sure, suicide had a high rating in Seatlle at the time (and while Kurt grew up). And sure, his latter songs hinted alot at suicide. But with all the things that go against it, you really have to question if it's so cut and dry as most people want to believe.

In the end, this'll probably go down like JFK. But there are some answers out there. (Even if they do point to suicide in the end) And whether it's tomorrow or on Courtney's death bed. They'll be released. But what is for certain, all that is known, isn't all we will know. And I'm lookin forward to finding it out.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
BreakDownV1 said:
He's over-rated because he's a dead pretty boy. Nirvana will never have anything on Alice in Chains.
I agree but Nirvana will always be a staple in rock music forever..but first let me note something else

Layne was grossly overrated himself..it was all jerry cantrell he wrote most of the music. Layne was just a great singer. now that's been settled.

Cobain and Nirvana came at the perfect time. Although they were known by some masses with the cd Bleach it was Neevrmind obvivously that got them over. some of you may be too young 2 remember (myself kinda included but i remember some fabrics of the world in 91) that the nation was under social and economical recession and people found that cobain was a pionner of rock. But to say he was over popularized based on his death I think is going to far. Nevermind started the cult and he already had millions upon millions of fans well before his death in 94. The reason why people nowadays are saying that cobain is an inspiration is because we live in a nation that everyone thinks that depression rules all and that being an outkast is cool. If you look into 91-94 you wouldn't see as many fans thinking that cobain wasn't such a god like people do now. The people now that think cobain is a god are the newer fans that listened to his stuff after his death. Of course you have your totally obsessed fans but more or less it's the newer fans that claim that.

Now BB I noticed you are an eminem fan. Think about it. Eminem has IMO the same so called "Godly inspiration" as cobain had. I don't see you bitching about it. Im not saying anything other then your a fan of eminem. That's why. Hell Ill admit ill always be a Nirvana fan. But it all comes down to taste and how devoted you are to music. Just remember whatever claims nirvana has eminem probably has the same undeserving titles of as well. Cause eminem should be the farthest from Inspiration there ever was. All he does is bitch about his mom, his ex and gays..great inspiration there right?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts