Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kurt Angle wrestling the Top Ten TNA stars better good than bad? Whats your opinion?

Kurt Angle said he was taking himself out of the top 10 contenders to make a challenge for himself and climb up the ladder. Even though it sounded good in the beginning the reality is he's beating every one of his opponent instead of putting wrestlers over he's just setting himself apart from all the rest like if he really doesn't have any competition. I'm not sure how can he say he wants too help make new stars while he's easliy beating all of TNA's top stars including recently defeating A.J Styles in 10 minutes making him tap out.

I don't know what others might think, but 10 minutes beating arguably the top prime wrestler in the TNA roster via Tap Out doesn't help make new stars, but disminish their current ones. Not really that it's all Kurt Angles fault or him to blame, but I'm not sure it's helping. He was suppose to have great matches, but a 10 minute match with A.J. Styles will easily result in their worst match yet. Thoughts?

·
Da' Maniac loves you
9,139 Posts
He was suppose to have great matches, but a 10 minute match with A.J. Styles will easily result in their worst match yet.
No, it won't. Have you ever watched their first match together on Impact? I don't think it reached 5 minutes and the match ended up being shit.

Angle going threw the top ten like he has been doing hasn't been all too bad watching for myself. Most matches were fine, a little that I could do without. The retirement stipulation didn't exactly need to be added though, or at least it could of been on hold until Angle got to the very top of the rankings. It feels worthless to me now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
not liking it at all, to predictable, and it isn't helping anyone but Angle by letting him beat everyone! they should have left the retirement thing out and have him loose to someone like Pope, which would help them!

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
10 matches that are guarenteed to be solid at the very least always = a good thing. His bouts with Pope and Kaz in particular were fantastic, and I fully expect this one vs AJ to be up there as well. Those two can't have anything less than great matches. This thing has given Angle something to do and adds to his determined warrior character.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think that in the context it's a horrible storyline, plain and simple.

- does this angle benefit Kurt Angle ? No. We know he's still one of the very top wrestlers in TNA and he has been a top guy for a decade. Beating people below him with much less prestige and titles doesn't make him any bigger.

- does this angle benefit his opponents ? No again. Most matches are thrown away on impact. His opponents lose cleanly in a single encounter and then he moves to something else, there is no tension at all, and no drama, no backstory. I don't think it damages them, but obviously Amazing Red, Kazarian, or Hernandez have not been doing better since he beat them.

- the retirement stipulation is terrible since we know he won't retire so soon (hell, they have even announced Hardy - Angle before he beat Styles). If he had announced a very close retirement it would have been a totally different story. But this way they are giving away the results of the matches beforehand.

- Angle's matches are based on submissions and nearfalls. This style of wrestling works best when the outcome of the match is completely unpredictable. When there is no question about who will win, it's just very bland and somewhat artificial.

- there should have been some draws or losses by cheating setting up a rematch along the way. A straight streak of clean wins is just tedious.

- it's a wasted opportunity. It would have worked much better with a young wrestler climbing up the ranks, or with an over-the-hill Kurt Angle doubting himself after several bad losses. But he won his feud with Anderson and earlier AJ only beat him mostly by cheating and escaping. Why are we spending six months at this point to build yet another Kurt Angle title run when he's still at the top of his game and there are several young wrestlers in need of such a build (or who could benefit from a long-term feud with Angle) ?

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I think it's stupid. They had a massive segment last week, a long one (using four wrestlers into their 40s) about not taking up time for the young guys, about how the show was all about these young guys getting pushes and showcasing their talents, making the next generation etc. Then you have Kurt Angle steamrolling through the top ten in TNA without any storylines and no doubts about who's going to win the matches.

So far, what has any match with Kurt Angle done for Kazarian? Hernandez? Pope? Joe? Oh, that's right, nothing. Kurt Angle is a guy in his 40s nearing the end of his wrestling career, and he's rampaging through all the top promising stars in TNA. I don't get it. I know, people will say that when a guy beats Kurt it's going to mean a lot, but that's one guy and it won't make his career. I think it's a stupid storyline.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
While I'm a fan of the original intentions of the angle, I'm just starting to find that the intensity & slowburn appeal has been sucked out of the entire ordeal.

Originally, it was just Kurt wanting to prove himself... to himself. He wanted to know whether he still had it in him or not. I tend to compare it to a later sequel from the Rocky anthology. He's just a beaten up, worn down wrestler that used to be champion. But he wanted to make one last run for it all.

Instead, they broke out this unneccessary addition for the angle, and put all the emphasis on that ridiculous retirement stipulation. It was never needed, and it's just proven to be a distraction from the actual heart of the angle itself. In essence, it's taken something dramatic & emotional, and it's brought it down to a basic "scripted 101" approach.

It's just a straight-forward, fundamental wrestling storyline now. And that sucks. Because, at the root of it all, this really had the beginnings of a meaningful, dramatic storyline.

In any case, I can see why the complaints are pouring in. I still support it, and I'm looking forward to how it plays out in the end. Until then, it's strictly on cruise control though. It's just a matter of waiting to see where it goes.

But, yeah. Looking back on it now, in complete retrospect, this whole angle should've gone to "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero. If they really want to build him, this would've been a great place to start.

They could've held off until Pope returned from his injury, and then had him make the announcement. He wanted to know that he was coming back at the top of his game, and he wouldn't settle for anything less than the best. He wanted to earn his rematch at the TNA World Championship, since he lost his last shot at Lockdown. In defeat, he always felt that challengers should fall to the back of the line, so that's exactly where he's going to begin his quest.

One at a time, Pope rises up through the ranks. It establishes him by defeating such highly-ranked stars, and it puts a lot of momentum into his own name & image. Here, there's obviously no need for a ridiculous retirement stipulation or anything of the sort. It's just about Pope, returning from injury, and wanting to settle up with his pride. It's do or die. Either he's the best, or he's the bottom of the barrel. That's it. In his mind, there's no middle ground. No grey area.

In this scenario, by the time Pope has beaten every contender in the Top Ten listing, he's established. And the showdown would fell monumental, no doubt about it. Just imagine the promos Pope would deliver to each of his Top Ten opponents, and you can't deny that this would've been a great way to go with this entire angle.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The thread title itself tells everything wrong with this storyline. I haven't read the whole F'N Show spoilers, but I already know the spoiler in this thread and I'm not stupid I know Angle won. No one in the top ten will retire him, every match of hte top ten I've at no time believed he it was even possible for him to lose. They aren't even making an attempt to make it seem like he could. At least the Undertaker's streak which should be the most predictble storyline in the history of wrestling, every year at some point in the match you feel like, "Oh shit, this might be the end" I haven't thought at any point he's going to lose, maybe the AJ match will be different but I doubt it. He's letting the guys hit their moves but he's not really putting them over. I just don't like the direction where this is going. Let him beat the next five fast so he can beat RVD and win the belt already

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Its just no build to any of the matches imo.

I said it in another thread, how in the hell is Kurt Angle gonna reach Jeff Hardy in the ranking by No Surrender??

He has to go threw Lethal, Samoa Joe and Mr Anderson within 3 shows. Each of these matches should get some build. But if Jeff Hardy Vs. Kurt Angle is gonna happen at No Surrender, then all these matches is gonna get run by pretty fast. No build at all. Just Angle coming out, beating them without any doubt that he will win and move on to the next.
And im now taking away the logic that Jeff Hardy should be the new No 1 Contender because Abyss lost. Which means Angle has to go threw Abyss aswell.

·
Registered
746 Posts
So we've had: Abyss (lost), Jeff (won), Anderson (lost), Joe (suspended), Lethal (lost), AJ (just lost) and Kurt ... as a result the rankings ought to look along the lines of ...

Jeff Hardy
Abyss
Jay Lethal
AJ Styles
Anderson
Kurt Angle

And Jeff vs Angle has been announced ...

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
It's like the main event of WrestleMania, you know the face wins 95% of the time. Angle will beat all the guys and not retire. One of the most unoriginal predictable storylines this year.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
At first i thought it was a great idea, but now, i don't. It's like the damn undertakers streak, you know hes going to make them tap out, and that hes not going to lose which takes the fun out of it, apparently when his career is on the line. It makes it boring, and in my opinion Kurt Angle matches are rarley boring, but this isn't the kind of Kurt matches i like to see.

·
Registered
273 Posts
- it's a wasted opportunity. It would have worked much better with a young wrestler climbing up the ranks, or with an over-the-hill Kurt Angle doubting himself after several bad losses. But he won his feud with Anderson and earlier AJ only beat him mostly by cheating and escaping. Why are we spending six months at this point to build yet another Kurt Angle title run when he's still at the top of his game and there are several young wrestlers in need of such a build (or who could benefit from a long-term feud with Angle) ?
Indeed, that was the easiest way to make this work IMO. If Angle had come up short against some of the younger guys on a few occasions, or even been soundly beat by the same guy in a series, & then showed a drop in confidence, he could come back with the intention of running through the list. To the "casual fan", it would just be the defeats that had his confidence shaken, but for the smarter fans, his marital breakdown & health problems could be alluded to as contributing factors.

When Angle was in the ring with Flair (a guy who has had real confidence issues before too), & Flair was down-talking him, that could have quite easily been a segment where Angle's lack of confidence was shown, as Angle holds open the rope etc. This stuff obviously builds sympathy.

As has been noted, as arguably the greatest professional wrestler in the world & likely the greatest shoot wrestler in the industry at the moment, what Angle does NOT need is much time building his credibility - he's the most credible guy in the world.

I would have no issue with the strap going back on Angle eventually, but you've got 6-12 months of stuff you can do with this guy, wherein he puts over other guys, retains his credibility, & participates in a long build-up to his return to the top. It also means he's out of the main event scene for a good while to allow other guys the chance to be seen as main eventers & the chance to carry the company, as such.

Tbh I do think Angle having the strap gives credibility to the title & the whole company, but only if it's booked right.
And with his legit health problems, it's probably best that if Angle did get the strap again, he didn't wrestle much - which could help make the title a draw too, as well as allow the spotlight to shine on the other guys.
Obviously the easiest way to get this done would be for him to turn heel, refuse to defend the title any more than he was absolutely "contractually obligated to" (I doubt the fans would have trouble believing Angle has some leeway in being able to nix potential matches), & put a dog & pony show around him by bringing in Benjamin & Haas. They can bump for him, lose for him, screw opponents for him etc.

It's basically all the guy needs to be doing for 12-18 months is some soul-searching, some wrestling, then some chickenshit heel'ing.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
The short, simple segment where Angle was in a gym, training and talking about his future, was one of the best things TNA has put on television in weeks. Other than the tag team Best of 5 series, I honestly can't think of anything else.

It was realistic, basic, and down-to-earth. That's how they should keep more of their segments. Bring a sense of realism to the shows. All that over-the-top shit can go out the window. We don't need boards with nails, fake barbed wire, or bitches with motorcycles in a wrestling arena to care about these angles, issues, and situations.

We just need a story worth telling, a story worth listening to/watching, and a reason to remain interested throughout it. At the heart of this angle, we had that. The useless retirement stipulation is what fucked that up.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Even before i heard about the retirement stipualtion, i knew he's blow through the top 10 rankings.
This is Kurt Angle we're talkin about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts