Wrestling Forum banner

Kurt Angle, his best year?

4870 Views 28 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  Steph's Lover
I've seen somewhere in the past a thread similar to this and it was dead even between (based on the comments) 2000, 2001 and 2002.

To me it had to be 2002.
Was the star of the greatest tag team match in history (at No Mercy), great on promos, good rivalrys with Benoit, Hogan, Edge, Rock/Taker, Reymond etc. Had an awesome series of matches with Edge. Just overall one of the best years for a wrestler i've ever seen.

Forgot to make a poll, which I should of. :/
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,348 Posts
2002 easily, he showed his versatility.

He was in the main event, upper mid card, he even tagged with Benoit. All his matches were good to down right great, and he was the best wrestler on the mic in 2002, better then Jericho and better then Rocky. 2002 was Kurt's year, he was clearly the best on the roster.

· Ho!
20,568 Posts
2002, but I did like 2003 Kurt as a lot, when he started off as a heel, and even when he turned face.

· Premium Member
46,378 Posts
Well 2003-2006 can be scratched off immediately. He always either injured (happened ALOT, and it was always his neck) or his eyes were glazed over cause he was clearly on something. Its not that he performed poorly those years. It was just that he dealt with a lot of problems that hindered him.

I guess my favorite year was either 2000 or 2002. I loved his mock babyface character in 2000 and he showed great promise as a talent. Then by 2002, he was pretty much having the best matches on the show. His stuff with Edge & Mysterio definitely stood out.

· Registered
9,377 Posts
2002 and 2003 definitely. His feuds with Chris Benoit and Brock Lesnar were incredible. I really look back on that era fondly, especially the Lesnar stoyline. I loved how they booked them as temporary friends after Angle's neck surgery and how Lesnar turned on him. Their matches at Summerslam and Wrestlemania were awesome.

· Premium Member
13,452 Posts
Whilst it is probably 2002, let's not forget 2001. Angle had good matches with Triple H and The Rock at the Royal Rumble and No Way Out pay-per-views respectively, he had another series of good matches (including at WrestleMania X-Seven) with Voldemort, and then he moved into some (in my opinion) career-making matches, a career-making storyline, with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

· Registered
721 Posts
Angle vs Lesnar, 2004?

· Registered
2,039 Posts
02 & 03 are my favorite years from him, i can still remember his match with rey at summerslam when the place was going nuts just for the entrances.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
2002 because I believe that was when he really was able to start showing off his full versitility. However, 2003 was a great year for Angle as well in terms of putting on some extremely memorable matches with the likes of Benoit and Lesnar.

· Registered
7,857 Posts
2002 cos it marked the beginning of Kurt Angle BadAss. They droped the Olympic dork gimmick and Angle became a badass heel. He was great on the mic and could out wrestle the Smackdown Roster. Plus he tagged with Beniot as part of the infamous Smackdown 6. I could also say 2001 cos after the lame comedy of Austin/Angle in early Summer they laid the seeds for badass Angle during the Invasion

· WWE Analyzer
176 Posts
For me it was 2001. Kurt Angle was, without a shadow of a doubt, the funniest WWE superstar that year, or even ever. The good thing about it was even though he turned into a complete tool who admired Austin and Vince, he was still putting on the best match on ever card he featured on.

Austin: You're a Jackass
Angle: Hey, Im a hero!!
Austin: ...You're a Jackass
Angle: Hero!
Austin: ...Jackass

^^Shit like that got me into Angle. Always getting owned lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.