Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Kofi Kingston because if I put IC Title (Smackdown Spoiler) It wouldn't take a genius to work out what happened.
My question is why did they slap the title back on Kofi and not put it on someone like Swagger or Cody or Big Zeke.
Kofi was boring as Champ last time and tbh dsnt really need it.
I get the whole no Heel vs Heel matches but why not triple threat and have someone else pin someone who wasn't Ziggler.
If their trying to build him as a ME why not have Kofi be pinned by swagger or someone and then Ziggler loses the title without being pinned.
Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Because he is perfect for the midcard, he stays consistently over but couldn't cut it in the main event imo.

Ziggler and Swagger should be below the IC title.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I like the move, personally. Ziggler vs. Kofi is soooo overdone at this point but I think going with Kofi was a good move. Why not? I think it re-opens some doors and possibly gets Kofi ready for his Main Event Push.

And just as it should be Ziggler is now the Number One Contender for the WHC. I just hope they don't "John Morrison" him and wait for the Rumble before he gets his shot.

·
HOPE
13,221 Posts
Hopefully because he's the ideal choice as a face to carry the gold while other faces can be built up. That way, by the time he drops the title to one of the heels you mentioned in Swagger or Rhodes, they should have title defences ready as Masters, Baretta and possibly McIntyre if he's a face by then will be ready to challenge for the gold. If you gave it to a heel now, who was going to challenge him? Kofi ... and that's pretty much it. This seems like the right move if you look at things from a long-term perspective, imo.

Zeke was another shout as a face you mentioned, but I don't think he's in the right position for it. He's only squashed jobbers since returning from injury, really, and he had no connection with Dolph. This at least ends that whole thing.

With all of that said, I bet we don't actually get anyone built up and Kofi's only got the title so Dolph can move up, leaving the IC Title doing nothing. :\

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Kofi makes the ideal mid-carder, he stays constantly over and credible enough therefore a heel beating him is always a big deal, so he's a perfect guy to build other heels with. He doesn't belong in the main event imo, but holding the mid-card title is perfect for him. It gives him direction, but doesn't send him too far up the card. I'm hoping for a Cody/Kofi feud in order for Cody to finally win his first singles gold.

Reactions: VLR

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
So this is the crowning of the true king of the midcard?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I put Kofi Kingston because if I put IC Title (Smackdown Spoiler) It wouldn't take a genius to work out what happened.
My question is why did they slap the title back on Kofi and not put it on someone like Swagger or Cody or Big Zeke.
Kofi was boring as Champ last time and tbh dsnt really need it.
I get the whole no Heel vs Heel matches but why not triple threat and have someone else pin someone who wasn't Ziggler.
If their trying to build him as a ME why not have Kofi be pinned by swagger or someone and then Ziggler loses the title without being pinned.
Thoughts?
Too close to the triple threat match last week, and triple threat matches should only be done on special occasions or PPV.

Actually, I think this all boils down to Jason Novak being fired from NXT. I believe he was supposed to steal Vicki from Dolph, to generate his face change. But the dud completely messed up his appearances in the ring.

(Novak was a decent wrestler in FCW, but I guess nerves made him look amateur on NXT. When Dolph got to change his rookie on NXT, he saw the writing on the wall, and actually performed well in his match - in fact it was a squash match, Novak crushing Saxton, then Saxton pulling a weak move for the win).

But if Dolph had not lost cleanly, he would be feuding with Kofi (which was the point to restarting the match by Vicki - instant rematch). I do not think that they planned to push Dolph so soon, ADR was supposed to be the number one contender, but they need the Edge/Vicki/Dolph dynamic to push Dolph face.

I have a sneaking suspicion, Dolph just may win the big one on the royal rumble, making Edge turn to Vicki in desperation to get a rematch, trying to rekindle their old relationship. Edge cheating with Vicki will turn him face. Alternately, Dolph will win the MITB at Wrestlemania, and cash it in on the same night, to get Edge chasing Vicki after Wrestlemania. Either way, This year, I beleive that at least one of the Big Titles will involve the youth movement - WWE desperately need to push new stars, because by next wrestlemania, their will be very few main eventers to sell the PPV for the casual viewer.

(for the Christian fans, I would not put it past vince, to Give the WHC, for about 2 minutes, before Dolph steals it away:flip)

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
JOMO makes the ideal mid-carder, he stays constantly over and credible enough therefore a heel beating him is always a big deal, so he's a perfect guy to build other heels with. He doesn't belong in the main event imo, but holding the mid-card title is perfect for him. It gives him direction, but doesn't send him too far up the card. I'm hoping for a Cody/Kofi feud in order for Cody to finally win his first singles gold.
Could have sworn you were describing JoMo here if this wasn't a Kofi thread, especially the bolded parts :p

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
^ Get a room. :p

I'm kinda disappointed as I think Kofi should be chasing the World Title at the Road to Wrestlemania, though winning the IC Title is not the end of the world (or road in Kofi's case) since Cena was US Champ for the majority of RTW 2005.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would have rather of seen the IC title on someone like Rhodes or Swagger, but their time will come before 2011 is over i'm sure, and as long as it keeps Kofi away from the main event scene, I am happy.

I don't know what it is about Kofi, but I can not stand the guy. There is just something about him that REALLY just flat out bothers me. It could be his constant jumping around, always smiling, over the top character, as I always hated those types of faces. Also being extremely sloppy in the ring could play a part as well, he's too wreckless. He doesn't really know how to fully utilize his agility. Look at Shelton Benjamin who was just as agile as Kofi, sure you might have seen a slip up from Shelton here and there, but for the most part, Shelton knew how to utilize his agility. Kofi on the other hand, you are going to see atleast one slip up from the guy in every match that he has. Kofi is probaly going to eventually hurt himself or someone else if he doesn't tone it down or learns how to work more fluintly, but I just really do not like the guy.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Thank god they finally took the IC title off of Ziggler. No offense, but it was time for someone else to hold it.

I'm not the biggest fan of Kofi Kingston, but giving him the strap again was a good decision. They needed a babyface Intercontinental Champion, becuase it allows heels like Rhodes or Swagger to properly contend for the title.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Hopefully because he's the ideal choice as a face to carry the gold while other faces can be built up. That way, by the time he drops the title to one of the heels you mentioned in Swagger or Rhodes, they should have title defences ready as Masters, Baretta and possibly McIntyre if he's a face by then will be ready to challenge for the gold. If you gave it to a heel now, who was going to challenge him? Kofi ... and that's pretty much it. This seems like the right move if you look at things from a long-term perspective, imo.

Zeke was another shout as a face you mentioned, but I don't think he's in the right position for it. He's only squashed jobbers since returning from injury, really, and he had no connection with Dolph. This at least ends that whole thing.

With all of that said, I bet we don't actually get anyone built up and Kofi's only got the title so Dolph can move up, leaving the IC Title doing nothing. :\
This. I've got to agree that as great as Ziggler's IC title reign was going, there were not a lot of options for people he could feud with because there are so many mid-card heels on Smackdown. Putting the belt back on Kofi not only finished the Ziggler/Kingston feud but will open up a world of opportunities for guys like Rhodes and Swagger.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
with this move they will be probably continuing the series of matches between kofi and swagger and hopefully give the belt to swagger in the end so he can get a title run DONE RIGHT

·
New Game. New Rules. New Era.
4,440 Posts
Just ridiculous.

Kofi should be going for the World Title at WM, not the damn IC title again.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
fpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalm

I honestly hope they have Ziggler/Swagger/McIntyre/Rhodes/Del Rio (the latter may be considered above it, but a short reign would pad out his resume before he takes the Big One) steal the championship the very next week in Birmingham, AL as part of Kofi's character arc, making him say, "FUCK THIS MIDCARD IC TITLE BULLSHIT!" :cussin: :p

Seriously, though. What are they looking to do with Kofi, have him break Jericho's nine-time Intercontinental Championship reigns record?

The optimist in me is saying that this is the plan. It also would make the most sense for Jack Swagger to take the belt off of Kofi, if it's not to be sent back to Ziggler. Swagger is the one guy in the entire company who was the most screwed with an insta-push, and he needs to be built (notice, I don't say, "rebuilt") with a slow, steady midcard championship push so that he could become a real main-eventer for good by Memorial Day or so. Moreover, this seems to point to this because you don't want to make a habit out of having a heel drop a title to another heel.

I say, the plan should be (a) Kofi drops title to Swagger, (b) Dolph is slowly turned face, (c) Kofi is elevated to the top (hahaha, I still believe, suckers--have I mentioned he could even win the 'Rumble?) and (d) it's Ziggler vs. Swagger for the Intercontinental Championship, with Vickie in Swagger's corner against a babyface-turning Ziggler, who has Kaitlyn in his (so to speak, at least) in the opening match at Wrestlemania.

Also, how fucking cool would it be for Kofi to drop the Intercontinental Championship in the opening bout of The Royal Rumble (to say, Ziggler, or Swagger), only to return later in the night and win The Royal Rumble?

You get lemons, you make lemonade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
fpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalmfpalm

I honestly hope they have Ziggler/Swagger/McIntyre/Rhodes/Del Rio (the latter may be considered above it, but a short reign would pad out his resume before he takes the Big One) steal the championship the very next week in Birmingham, AL as part of Kofi's character arc, making him say, "FUCK THIS MIDCARD IC TITLE BULLSHIT!" :cussin: :p

Seriously, though. What are they looking to do with Kofi, have him break Jericho's nine-time Intercontinental Championship reigns record?

The optimist in me is saying that this is the plan. It also would make the most sense for Jack Swagger to take the belt off of Kofi, if it's not to be sent back to Ziggler. Swagger is the one guy in the entire company who was the most screwed with an insta-push, and he needs to be built (notice, I don't say, "rebuilt") with a slow, steady midcard championship push so that he could become a real main-eventer for good by Memorial Day or so. Moreover, this seems to point to this because you don't want to make a habit out of having a heel drop a title to another heel.

I say, the plan should be (a) Kofi drops title to Swagger, (b) Dolph is slowly turned face, (c) Kofi is elevated to the top (hahaha, I still believe, suckers--have I mentioned he could even win the 'Rumble?) and (d) it's Ziggler vs. Swagger for the Intercontinental Championship, with Vickie in Swagger's corner against a babyface-turning Ziggler, who has Kaitlyn in his (so to speak, at least) in the opening match at Wrestlemania.

Also, how fucking cool would it be for Kofi to drop the Intercontinental Championship in the opening bout of The Royal Rumble (to say, Ziggler, or Swagger), only to return later in the night and win The Royal Rumble?

You get lemons, you make lemonade.
I sincerely hope this is not their intention.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts