Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love for WWE to make KOTR back into a fully blown PPV, it was great when it was around and could be used to replace such awful gimmich PPV's such as Bragging Rights, Hell in a Cell, TLC or Fatal 4 Way imo.

If you think about it, it would make sense for it to be in the UK because monarchy is usually associated with England and such, plus it hasn't been since 1992 that Britain had a PPV and the crowds are always great.

What do you think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
They wont hold a PPV in the UK...due to the time differences.

And if they did, it would probably be one of the Big 4. Ie Summerslam was held at wemberly in the 90s.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh but at least the rest of Europe might buy it, Vince seems to have been a bit careless concerning buyrates recently, I'm sure one PPV outside of North America wouldn't effect them that much and it might get quite a lot of Euoropean people back into wrestling.

·
Registered
55 Posts
king of the ring doesn't mean anything any more, its just a a long winded way of giving somebody an already overly used/recycled gimmick (king booker anyone ?) if they set it that the winner gets a shot at a title or something then it might raise interest a bit more. In terms of ppv's in the UK I am all for it, I used to love watching insurrection and rebellion before they changed it to just giving us an episode of raw and smack down once a year

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It's a great idea! I'm surprised I've never thought of it.The British are crying out for a PPV - something Vince is reluctant to do because of the time difference and the buyrate for Summerslam 1992.

I should note that by 2012 international buys for PPVs will have overtaken domestic buys.Ticket sales will be give more revenue due to higher prices/exchange rate.An 8pm London start would equal 3pm Eastern - roughly the same timeslot the first 8 Wrestlemania PPVs had.

Cancel Bragging Rights,bring the European tour forward and hold KOTR at the Royal Albert Hall.Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
One year Backlash was in the UK wasn't it? I think it was like 2007?

But yeah OP, I like the idea. KOTR annually needs to make a PPV comeback.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Only problem with having KOTR as a PPV now would be how much of the roster doesnt get used. Its alright in the the early 90's when the rosters of actual talent was small but today to do a tournament with 8 people would leave out way too many superstars so it would probably lead to all the other matches in the PPV being clusterfuck matches like a 6 pack challenge for each title just to get people on the PPV.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
People keep wanting PPVs to be in England but don't seem to realize it'd have to be either taped or set at like 2am over there lol. Not gonna happen I'm afraid

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
People keep wanting PPVs to be in England but don't seem to realize it'd have to be either taped or set at like 2am over there lol. Not gonna happen I'm afraid
As mentioned by someone else. Very soon the rest of the world will be making theWWE more money than the U.S. If the PPV was on at a normal time over here alot more people in Europe would buy it. So i think it will be tried soon. Also if they put it at Wembley again they would fill it for a PPV so the extra 70,000 in ticket revenue and 90,000 people buying merchendise added to the conversion rate from ££ to $$ would make a shed load of money that could be worth annoying 1 market with the Americans.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It should be a yearly PPV.

Hell, keep it on Raw if you like - just make it mean something.

It has to be more than "think what it might do to their career", it has to have a reward. (not a crown)

Or, if no reward, how about the people in the tournament talking about how important it is, and how determined they are to win it?

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
It would be cool if they started to do the King of the Ring as a UK only ppv, then airing it as a tv special in the USA. However WWE wouldn't do that, they did it in the Attitude Era and I don't think they were too successful.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Only problem with having KOTR as a PPV now would be how much of the roster doesnt get used. Its alright in the the early 90's when the rosters of actual talent was small but today to do a tournament with 8 people would leave out way too many superstars so it would probably lead to all the other matches in the PPV being clusterfuck matches like a 6 pack challenge for each title just to get people on the PPV.
not if the king of the ring went back to being an exclusive PPV that was put aside JUST for the event. meaning: no championship matches, no other feuds. just the tournament itself. They could have it in October if they want to still have 2 ppvs back to back. have one ppv (hell in a cell) be the ppv with championship matches and what not and have the king of the ring be a $20/$25 ppv at the end of the month.

OR (this is no longer a response)

another idea, is instead of having a ppv, you could start the ppv in like late september/early october, have it last past HIAC and have the finals be at Bragging Rights (Raw finalist vs. Smackdown finalist).

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
not if the king of the ring went back to being an exclusive PPV that was put aside JUST for the event. meaning: no championship matches, no other feuds. just the tournament itself. They could have it in October if they want to still have 2 ppvs back to back. have one ppv (hell in a cell) be the ppv with championship matches and what not and have the king of the ring be a $20/$25 ppv at the end of the month.

OR (this is no longer a response)

another idea, is instead of having a ppv, you could start the ppv in like late september/early october, have it last past HIAC and have the finals be at Bragging Rights (Raw finalist vs. Smackdown finalist).
Wouldnt be able to do that though. You need other matches in it just so then after the 2nd semi final the winner doest have to go straight into another match.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Wouldnt be able to do that though. You need other matches in it just so then after the 2nd semi final the winner doest have to go straight into another match.
true. maybe you could use that as promo time. hype up Survivor Series. do some recaps of the weekly shows. give an interview with somebody who was eliminated. have a comedy segment. there are many options you could do.

and remember, Jericho had to wrestle The Rock AND Stone Cold back to back with no break at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts