Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Muhammed Lawal returns to competition, he will be a two-sport athlete.

Sherdog.com confirmed with sources close to the situation on Wednesday that “King Mo” is expected to sign with both Total Nonstop Action Wrestling and the Bellator Fighting Championships in the near future. According to Sherdog’s sources, the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion will likely perform simultaneously for the professional wrestling organization and the Chicago-based MMA promoter. Details surrounding the deals were not revealed.

It is currently unknown when Lawal will debut with the organizations, but any athletic participation from the fighter will likely come down the road, as Lawal is still recovering from knee surgery and a serious battle with staph infection.

Lawal is currently serving a nine-month suspension handed to him by the Nevada Athletic Commission after he tested positive for the anabolic steroid Drostanolone following his Jan. 7 technical knockout of Lorenz Larkin. The former NCAA wrestling standout explained to the commission during his disciplinary hearing that an over-the-counter supplement was the cause of his positive test, but the explanation did not sway the commission’s verdict. In addition to his suspension, Lawal was also fined a total of $39,000 and saw his victory over Larkin changed to a no-contest.

During the proceeding, commissioner Pat Lundvall presented a line of questioning to which Lawal took exception, asking the fighter if he could read and understand English in regard to his signed pre-fight questionnaire, which required him to list any supplements taken or injuries sustained. Following the meeting, Lawal vented his frustrations with the query on Twitter, referring to Lundvall as a “racist bitch.”

In light of the comment, Lawal was released from his Strikeforce contract on March 27. Lawal later issued an apology to Lundvall for the comment. While it was rumored briefly that the 31-year-old might wind up back in the Zuffa fold, that hypothetical has gone by the wayside for now.

Now owned by Viacom, Bellator currently airs on MTV2 but will move to Spike TV in 2013. The promotion is currently wrapping up its ongoing sixth season and plans to hold its first Summer Series event on June 22. TNA Wrestling was founded in 2002 and airs programming every Thursday on Spike TV.

by Mike Whitman
Sherdog.com

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
this two company deal already failed once with Lashley not being able to commit properly to TNA. Why would TNA try this again??

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
They already did this with Lashley and he bailed on them the second he got signed to an MMA company.

But we'll see what happens here. Cross Promoting with MMA isn't a bad idea, though I think doing it with UFC would probably be better (it was obvious that TNA really wanted Lesnar a couple years back).

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
They already did this with Lashley and he bailed on them the second he got signed to an MMA company.

But we'll see what happens here. Cross Promoting with MMA isn't a bad idea, though I think doing it with UFC would probably be better (it was obvious that TNA really wanted Lesnar a couple years back).
There's a big difference though. King Mo is a great fighter with a passion for wrestling.

I don't know how smart it is for someone in King Mo's position (one of the top Light Heavyweights in the world) to divide his time between two professions, but he's a charismatic guy with passion, so this could be good for TNA.

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
So i guess King Mo will be one of the next names appearing at a OFN gut check....

I have to see him in the ring as a wrestler to make a judgement about his potencial...

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Garrett is wrestling angle at house shows?

Haha school time for little bischoff

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Him fighting Sting and not Angle is SO stupid
Via guerrilla journalist/professional hellraiser FRB:

TNA is most interested, at this point, in programs involving King Mo and Sting and then King Mo and Kurt Angle.
So my best guess is Mo vs Angle could be on tap for BFG while he works with Sting in the summer months.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I've never heard of him but if he's entertaining then I'm all for it.

·
Banned
2,408 Posts
Honestly, I just know it'll make TNA look more like a Reality TV show, which seems to be precisely the direction Bischoff wants to take the company. And does anyone have any intel on Mo having any kind of a wrestling experience?

Why do I have this bad feeling this will not end well...

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
Why would you want Sting as his first match/feud? Understand that you don't want to build to Angle but if you're going to have someone who has little pro wrestling training in a big spot you might want to get someone that can make him look good and get him over.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
This seems like a good deal to me. King Mo's a fairly big name in MMA circles and he's got enough charisma and athleticism to work in pro wrestling (plus he's personally a big fan so will be dedicated to improving). This should be interesting, I wonder if we'll see any more TNA/Bellator crossovers when Bellator moves to Spike from MTV2.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
So i guess King Mo will be one of the next names appearing at a OFN gut check....

I have to see him in the ring as a wrestler to make a judgement about his potencial...
Doubtful. Big signing for TNA/BFC....more likely he debuts at Sacrifice or Slammy depending...if goal is to have first match at Slammy then this Sunday is where he would debut live if not then expect hype over the coming weeks for his first ever appearance on PPV for Dallas.

Can't see his first appearance on taped Impact.

Why would you want Sting as his first match/feud? Understand that you don't want to build to Angle but if you're going to have someone who has little pro wrestling training in a big spot you might want to get someone that can make him look good and get him over.
Sting will be fine if it is kept relatively short and sweet (10-12 mins), and if he runs through Sting. Not total squash though, but short brawl style with Mo getting best of exchanges for most part. Then slow build to Angle vs Mo at BFG (it's where the money is for TNA) and I'd bet they do a stiff as f*** worked shoot.

IMHO there is also money to be made with a Joe vs Mo at Lockdown inside the cage if they can pull that off.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts