Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dolph Ziggler, a man most would consider to be an extremely talented performer. As of right now Ziggler is stuck as a directionless potential filled midcard heel. But there three huge occasions where Dolph Ziggler was either the most over man or the show or the hottest act on the show. And all three times for one reason or another his push got stopped and he was left squandering. My question to you guys is which was the worst ?

2013:

In 2013, Dolph finally reached the top by having what is widely considered to be the greatest MITB cash-in in history. The guy got an amazing reaction and he was consistently getting massive face reactions. He became world champion finally ! He ended up getting a concussion shortly after winning the strap and a month later they took the title right back off of him to a stale ADR.
Dolph was left basically squandering in the midcard until our next push.

2014:

Around survivor series 2014, John Cena compiled a team to take on the authority and if team Cena won, the authority would be gone from Raw. Among those on his team was Dolph Ziggler. Fast forward to the SS 5 on 5 elimination match. Ziggler was the final wrestler on team Cena where he ended up getting help from Sting to elimiante the Authority and be the sole survivor.
After winning the match, Ziggler was the most over man on the show after having a herculian type performance. Ziggler had all the momentum in the world. So what did they do with that momentum? They kayfabe fired him and by the time he was brought back he was again relegated to midcard.

2016:

By 2016, Dolph Ziggler was growing stale as a face and fans just gave up on him. That was until he entered what many considered the best feud on 2016 with the Miz. This amazing feud culminated in Ziggler putting his career on the line for the intercontinental championship.
This feud really gained back support for Ziggler and made them care again. Ziggler ended up saving his career and winning the IC Title. However, it was clear they had no true plans for him with the belt and it was setup simply for a feel good moment as he dropped the title back ti The Miz after a month of a lackluster reign.

So I ask you guys, which of these was the worst in killing Dolph Ziggler's momentum?​

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Re: Killing Ziggler's momentum: Which was the worse ?

There were all bad. Do we really need to argue which one was worst for poor Dolph?

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts

He was never meant for anything beyond the midcard, and his HBK 'tribute' act doesn't help in any way either.

Reactions: CJ

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts

2013 imo.

Honestly I do love the Payback match with him and Del Rio, and I do agree with Del Rio going heel. But I kinda wish Ziggler would have won with a roll up and then Del Rio would have some kind of post match beatdown on Ziggler. Or even better, have Del Rio win as planned. Then have Ziggler lose AJ And Big E cause he wanted to prove he doesn't need anybody to win for him, and have him win at Money in the Bank..

I don't know I felt the crowds were getting into Ziggler in 2013 so I'm picking that one.

I love Ziggler though. The Survivor Series 2014 match was one of my all time favs, due to Ziggler's selling, and I thought he was a made man after it.

Honestly I would have loved to see The Authority come back before the Rumble and try to target Ziggler, even going as far as telling Ziggler if he didn't win the Rumble he'd be fired, starting at number 1 and winning.

Of course this means Ziggler Vs Lesnar would have been the main event.. But hey Ziggler has a legit background as well and I think it could have been good.

I'm just throwing random ideas out there lol

Edit: Basically what the user said above me they were all pretty shit tbh

Also I don't think a lot of people on this forum actually like Ziggler anymore, from what I've seen. Looks like we are one of the very few that are still fans of his OP

·
Registered
12,189 Posts

2013 was the worst because they did have plans for him but he got injured and those plans changed.

Survivor series Meltzer and alvarez confirmed on the night he wasn't getting a push going forward he was just the guy to get the pinfall and match was built around rollins/hhh and sting anyway

2016 was a midcard feud designed to get miz over not dolph

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

Gotta go with 2014.

He was on top of the world after Survivor Series, they could have done ANYTHING with him and the crowd would have been on board.

So what did WWE do with him...

Nothing.

They literally took him off tv and, basically by design, let all of his momentum die. I didn't understand it them and I don't understand it now. Why book him to look so strong if you're not gonna do something to capitalize on it and just gonna punish him for looking strong? Really it's just further proof that the "brass ring" bullshit is just that, bullshit.

I think Dolph's current spot on the card is still because of Survivor Series.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose I find them interesting when they are chasing titles but they ruin it everytime they get one.

I don't know who to blame for that booking or themselves,and maybe it is mix of both.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
12,023 Posts

I'm going with 2013. He was the closest to being a main-eventer here out of those 3 scenarios. Dolph Ziggler was also in his prime around this time. He was incredibly over with the fans, and he consistently delivered good matches on a weekly basis; yet they still dropped the ball on his momentum after he turned face.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts

Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose I find them interesting when they are chasing titles but they ruin it everytime they get one.

I don't know who to blame for that booking or themselves,and maybe it is mix of both.
Some people are just better chasers.

Warrior and sting were fantastic chasers but once they were crowned champion their reigns were rather bland.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,255 Posts

"a man most would consider to be an extremely talented performer"

·
Attending Chris Jericho's Rager with Scott Steiner
6,418 Posts

None, because he got more than he ever deserved by winning a world title.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

2016 imo. That was when he matured the most, his work as a face in the ring was second to none and some of the promos he cut were extremely heart-touching. Start making him the real deal from that moment and he would have been one of the hottest babyfaces in WWE. I am still pissed how we didn't have a serious face Ziggler v heel AJ Styles feud. Would have been epic.
Btw, it can be argued in 2013 that there was a second occasion they could have launched him, at Payback 2013 where he turned face. And also, in 2015 he had a mini feud with Batista and even won against Bryan where it looked like he solidified himself as one of the top guys( second half of 2015 tho was possibly his lowest time ever).

·
Registered
8,597 Posts

His world title run. I just never took him seriously after that.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts

His momentum died when he chose the ring name Dolph Ziggler. That's one that screams out, "I'm going nowhere."

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

You can't blame all of Ziggler's problems on booking though. He's been putting on the same match for years, has a history of whining on social media, and severely overrates himself.

Ziggler is the opposite of Reigns to me. I strongly disliked Reigns at the start of 2015, but you can't deny his talent when he's consistently putting on good matches. Now, I'd put him in my current top 10. Ziggler, on the other hand, has continually put on the same match every week for years. His laziness really turned me away from being a fan of his.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

That match at SS14 was magic. It and the Goldberg squash are neck and neck for my fav moments of this decade. If course it has more to with Sting than Ziggler but he played his role to perfection that night. I've never been a huge fan of the guy but after I really wanted to see them do something with him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts