Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Raw last week i saw something that if i would have been told a year ago i wouldn't have believed and although i never bought into the hype and praise that he was given i never thought that Ted DiBiase would be buried so much in less than a year. This time last year i think Ted DiBiase alongside Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes were heading into The Elimination Chamber PPV with Ted DiBiase actually part of the main event of the PPV and said to be given a major push and a singles match with Randy Orton at WrestleMania 26.

Upon his debut there were a lot of people proclaiming Ted DiBiase to be the man who would take over from John Cena as the main man in the company and there were also a lot of people who said that Ted DiBiase should be the man who breaks The Undertaker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania which for me were way over the top because he had not even shown me to be any more than an upper mid card wrestler at best and was still years away from even that. I did think though that because WWE seemed high on him that he would do some good things last year and would end up feuding with a few of the guys higher up the card but my initial reaction on hism turned out to be right and WWE have buried him in less than a year.

Now with absolutely no credibility as a singles wrestler and his pairing with the heat magnet that is Maryse a major fail i think that WWE should seriously consider attempting to kill two birds with one stone and put Ted DiBiase in the tag team scene again but this time with his brother Brett DiBiase. There were a lot of strong rumours that Brett DiBiase was going to be called up to the main roster in the middle of last year alongside Joe Hennig to join Ted DiBiase as part of a mid card stable called The Fortunate Sons but because of an injury to Brett DiBiase that idea was vetoed.

Right now though i think the timing could be perfect to bring Brett DiBiase back and pair him up with Ted DiBiase in a tag team of The Fortunate Sons which would establish Brett DiBiase on the main roster whilst also possibly helping get Ted DiBiase over. This would also serve to provide WWE with another tag team which is desperately needed as at the moment there is only really The Uso Brothers as a proper tag team whilst Joe Hennig and Husky Harris, Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov and Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater have all be thrown together for the time being but are surely not long term tag teams.

Down in FCW i believe that WWE have put together a tag team of Austin Creed who previously wrestled in TNA as Consequences Creed and Wes Brisco who are meant to be liked a lot by WWE management and there was talk of bringing them up to the main roster sooner rather than later so alongside The Uso Brothers and The Fortunate Sons we would see three proper tag teams on the main roster for the first time in a long time. I think that tag team wrestling may honestly be the only way of getting Ted DiBiase over and it may have to be a permanent thing as well wrestling in the tag team scene as some people just work better as a tag team wrestler than they ever do as a singles wrestler.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm not sure if putting him in a division that its existence is in question will be good for Ted and his brother, WWE doesn't give a rat ass about their tag team division, besides, the tag teams barely get any mic time to get themselves over, so i don't think this will do great for both young men. I don't know if his brother Brett is any good in the ring but the last time i heard he's still injured, no?

What Ted needs right now is getting repackaged or a massive boost, Ted has been buried so deep to the point that i doubt he will ever recover after this treatment, i know that being put in a tag team with his brother at least will be better than nothing but at the same time it will not be enough boost to get Ted slightly relevant especially when the tag team division isn't being taken seriously at the moment. I'm hoping that WWE will follow through his current "i'm a loser" angle and at the end he's gonna snap and turns things around, maybe he's finally gonna ditch his girlfriend and then runs away to Smackdown and then have a fresh start there with a new vision (there's nothing wrong with copying Barrett's move, lol), he should get rid of that unfitting music, gets a change of attitude, claims that he's tired of being a loser and will do anything to recover his career, and then maybe do a slow babyface turn by helping popular guys like Rey or Kofi in some storylines.

My hope is that WWE will push him to the moon out of the blue like they did to Swagger last year, giving him MITB win at WM, but this time they should not rush Ted's cash in, let him be a Mr. MITB for awhile and getting a change of attitude in the process, a rushed push to the main event won't be good for him because clearly he isn't ready yet, his character is still a mess, but MITB will be a nice tool to get him relevant again in the eyes of audience. This scenario sounds unlikely but maybe that's one of the only effective ways to finally get him on the right track again.

· Banned
8,284 Posts
Ted DiBiase is a lost cause.

I agree with the OP. It is amazing how far DiBiase has fallen since WrestleMania XXVI. He's gone from future main-eventer to jobber in less than a year. But don't think for a second that most of that isn't his own fault.

The guy is simply unpopular. He dosen't have "it". WWE has tried every way in the world to make him popular with the fans, but he's proven time and time again that he is incapable of getting over. Hell, they even gave him his own movie, and nobody gave a shit. When he was Legacy in 2009, he was able to hide behind Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes, who are far more talented than he was. But once the stable broke up, and he was left on his own, his flaws became apparent almost immediately. WWE gave him the Million Dollar Championship and Maryse, and still nobody gave a shit about him. Eventually, after investing so much time and money into a guy that nobody cares about, WWE stopped caring too.

And whoever thinks getting drafted to Friday Night SmackDown is a good thing needs to think again. The only low points DiBiase hasn't hit yet is jobbing to Hornswoggle and getting fed to The Big Show, and that's only because they are on seperate brands.

DiBiase will always have a job with the WWE because of his father, but his career is all but over at this point.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Ted DiBiase is a lost cause.

I agree with the OP. It is amazing how far DiBiase has fallen since WrestleMania XXVI. He's gone from future main-eventer to jobber in less than a year. But don't think for a second that most of that isn't his own fault.

The guy is simply unpopular. He dosen't have "it". WWE has tried every way in the world to make him popular with the fans, but he's proven time and time again that he is incapable of getting over. Hell, they even gave him his own movie, and nobody gave a shit. When he was Legacy in 2009, he was able to hide behind Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes, who are far more talented than he was. But once the stable broke up, and he was left on his own, his flaws became apparent almost immediately. WWE gave him the Million Dollar Championship and Maryse, and still nobody gave a shit about him. Eventually, after investing so much time and money into a guy that nobody cares about, WWE stopped caring too.

And whoever thinks getting drafted to Friday Night SmackDown is a good thing needs to think again. The only low points DiBiase hasn't hit yet is jobbing to Hornswoggle and getting fed to The Big Show, and that's only because they are on seperate brands.

DiBiase will always have a job with the WWE because of his father, but his career is all but over at this point.
Yeah, tell that to Cody. Granted Cody is more superior than Ted at this stage, but he gets better booking there, he consistently gets victory and more time to establish his gimmick through his Grooming Tips vignettes and sometimes cutting promos on his opponents, Ted has been booked quite horribly since the start of his single run on Raw which really doesn't help his cause, he isn't booked as a modern day million dollar man like he's supposed to be for the most part, he barely uses his money- the main factor of his gimmick, and also to make things worse, Maryse is just too distracting, Ted isn't successful in capturing the Maryse attention onto himself because he doesn't live the gimmick, he's clearly trying to look like a rich guy, but he's not the rich guy, hence why the audience don't buy into his actions at all, this is one of Ted's weaknesses, he's not a versatile, he's not doing well in sport entertainment factor, and WWE didn't really expand his character anymore since his feud with Goldust ended, they gave a losing streak for him instead which is beyond me because it certainly didn't help him whatsoever. That's why he needs to get repackaged in another brand, Raw writers clearly are incapable of booking him the right way. It's a shame though, i think he's still more valuable than plenty of people in the Raw roster because Ted's got all the skills, he just needs to show it through the fitting persona, he needs to portray a character that he's comfortable with.

· Registered
988 Posts
I think their taking Ted to a solid low. They have Maryse basically verbally abuse him in every match, calling him a loser and not helping him. It makes people relate to their own nagging wives and girlfriends. He will hit rock bottom, then out of inspiration he will get rid of Maryse and instill himself with new ambition and then go on a run to win the midcard belt and then slowly elevate back up to HW division.

· Banned
8,284 Posts
Yeah, tell that to Cody. Granted Cody is more superior than Ted at this stage, but he gets better booking there, he consistently gets victory and more time to establish his gimmick through his Grooming Tips vignettes and sometimes cutting promos on his opponents, Ted has been booked quite horribly since the start of his single run on Raw which really doesn't help his cause, he isn't booked as a modern day million dollar man like he's supposed to be for the most part, he barely uses his money- the main factor of his gimmick, and also to make things worse, Maryse is just too distracting, Ted isn't successful in capturing the Maryse attention onto himself because he doesn't live the gimmick, he's clearly trying to look like a rich guy, but he's not the rich guy, hence why the audience don't buy into his actions at all, this is one of Ted's weaknesses, he's not doing well in sport entertainment factor, and WWE didn't really expand his character anymore since his feud with Goldust ended, they gave a losing streak for him instead which is beyond me because it certainly didn't help him whatsoever. That's why he needs to get repackaged in another brand, Raw writers clearly are incapable of booking him the right way. It's a shame though, i think he's still more valuable than plenty of people in the Raw roster because i think Ted's got skills, he just needs to show it through the fitting persona.
The difference between Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase is that unlike DiBiase, Rhodes was supposed to be the former Legacy member that wasn't expected to amount to anything once the stable broke up. But unlike DiBiase, Rhodes proved to have the "it" factor. He became a character. Ted plays a character. Rhodes is believable. DiBiase is not. Rhodes can cut a promo. Ted can't. The "IT" factor is what makes or breaks a superstar. Those that have it become a success. Those that don't usually end up a failure. That's the difference between Rhodes and DiBiase.

Over the course of 2010, he became every bit as successful as "Dashing" as Ted proved to be a complete failure as The Fortunate Son. He is recieving the push everyone thought DiBiase was going to have, and he's proven over the past year that he deserves it.

So it dosen't really matter what brand DiBiase or Rhodes are on. One has the ability to entertain, and the other one dosen't. End of story.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
The difference between Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase is that unlike DiBiase, Rhodes was supposed to be the former Legacy member that wasn't expected to amount to anything once the stable broke up. But unlike DiBiase, Rhodes proved to have the "it" factor. He became a character. Ted plays a character. Rhodes is believable. DiBiase is not. Rhodes can cut a promo. Ted can't. The "IT" factor is what makes or breaks a superstar. Those that have it become a success. Those that don't usually end up a failure. That's the difference between Rhodes and DiBiase.

Over the course of 2010, he became every bit as successful as "Dashing" as Ted proved to be a complete failure as The Fortunate Son. He is recieving the push everyone thought DiBiase was going to have, and he's proven over the past year that he deserves it.

So it dosen't really matter what brand DiBiase or Rhodes are on. One has the ability to entertain, and the other one dosen't. End of story.
Cody is more superior than Ted and that is clear, i'm not saying the otherwise, but that doesn't mean Ted is doomed for the rest of his career, Ted still has a chance to breakthrough, he's still young and wrestlers tend to improve in the process, his major advantage is that he's got time on his hands and he's got his last name, he should take this advantage to prove himself, but he also needs WWE's right support, clearly he isn't handled very well during his run so far and poor booking will never amount to anything positive. Contrary to the popular opinion, i actually see a lot of potential in Ted, he's got all the skills. And some wrestlers just didn't succeed in their first run, ok, maybe i'll play with your game, i never saw "IT" in Miz either in his early stint, i was surprised that he actually lasted more than two weeks after his debut, but he improved heaps along the way and proved everyone wrong (i still don't think he should headline WM though, but oh well). Now i'm seeing the same potential in Ted, maybe you don't, but i do, at this stage i can understand why everyone doesn't like him, and as a fan i can admit his flaws, but he's not completely useless like most people here say, even as a glorified jobber he's still able to deliver entertaining matches even though mostly are on NXT because on Raw he isn't getting enough time to wrestle these days. I still have hope for him that's for sure.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,625 Posts
Ted Dibiase certainly is a curious case.

As others have pointed out, it's actually pretty shocking to see how far he's fallen from this point last year. Last year he was a part of Legacy, there were massive rumours he was going to be the one to turn face and become a massive face main eventer by going against Orton, he had that 'moment' on RAW where the crowd did suddenly turn in his favour and were almost begging him to take down Orton...but they didn't capitalise on it and had Cody/Ted play heel to Orton's new megaface persona. I think that was probably a missed opportunity with Ted.

Afterwards they split, Cody to Smackdown, Orton climbing to being one of the two top faces on the brand and Dibiase at first looked as though he was going to be getting a steady push to the top on RAW. He got the million dollar title, he got Virgil back...when that didn't work, he got Maryse...she then stole attention away from Dibiase, the crowd didn't care, he didn't make them care and now here we are. It's a mixture of being his fault and being the WWEs fault imo. He hasn't played his character well, and hasn't given me a reason to care about him in the slightest. That's the worst thing, I don't like Dibiase, I don't dislike Dibiase...I just don't really care because I haven't got a reason to.

Dibiase needs a fresh start...a big fresh start. I would possibly go as far as to say they should take him out with a kayfabe injury for a few months to get the fans to forget about him. Then bring him back under a new kind of persona. His new 'loser' angle could lead to him stupidly challenging someone like Orton, who punts him in the head, he goes away, comes back and is a more serious, aggressive face. I think if turned face, the guy is genuinely likeable, he has a natural face look, and could get the sympathy vote rather well.

Just ditch the whole thing, the rich boy persona, maryse, give him a personality, a reason to be on the show, maybe a new path for him to take and things could easily be different. I think he's actually somebody who will play a FAR better face than they do a heel. I still think Dibiase will be world champion one day though.

· Registered
561 Posts
After how far he has fallen and the losing drought he has been going through, it will almost be impossible for him to recover and amount to something. Best case is MVP. MVP was actually a lot more successful too but once he got put on that losing streak he was never able to recover.

WWE also played Dibiasi way too much off of his father trying to get him over when they are nothing alike. Everyone will always remember Ted Jr. as the million dollar mans son.

I think it comes down between him and Drew Mcyntire if one gets a push. In that case I hope its Dibiasi

· Banned
8,284 Posts
After how far he has fallen and the losing drought he has been going through, it will almost be impossible for him to recover and amount to something. Best case is MVP. MVP was actually a lot more successful too but once he got put on that losing streak he was never able to recover.

WWE also played Dibiasi way too much off of his father trying to get him over when they are nothing alike. Everyone will always remember Ted Jr. as the million dollar mans son.

I think it comes down between him and Drew Mcyntire if one gets a push. In that case I hope its Dibiasi
McIntyre already seems to be the one getting a push. The Kelly Kelly storyline has expanded into Edge and Dolph Ziggler's WHC title picture, so I expect Drew to get involved one way or another.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Yes, putting Ted with Brett is what would save Ted Dibiase and it would give the WWE another tag team. Ted Dibiase can do the talking as he is good at talking. This tag team would be a success.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
dibiase is a case of a huge botched gimmick, honestly i can only blame wwe for it, all the legacy breakup thing was teased way too much into 2009, so by the time they finally broke up in 2010, people already stopped giving a shit

cody had one of the most impressive changes to be honest... he went from "evil henchmen number 2" to "the dashing one" he had a rock-like change, rocky maivia was a nobody but as soon as the rock arrived, all hell broke loose, cody is having kind of the same transformation (of course he's no rock) but he is paying his dues

i can only wonder what's going on in wwe's head when they decided to bury dibiase that much...

· Banned
1,911 Posts
Honestly, there is nothing about Dibaise that catches my attention. Even when he was with Legacy, I never got how people thought he was the more entertaining one. Cody was the most charismatic one, even more than Randy. When ever they had a little promo time, Cody was the one that always seemed more comfortable to me. Dibiase is as bland as can be, which is quite sickening consider his father is the Million Dollar fucking Man. Do you all not realize how disgustingly sad that is?

His voice just isn't convincing enough to be taken seriously let alone playing as a arrogant wealthy person. He doesn't have that tone in his voice. Its like he's still searching for which voice to use. On that of that, his entrance to the ring is not something that cream cocky prick. The look on his face isn't doesn't seem like a Millionaire. Its like he's not comfortable with his role. His walk is lame. He needs to add more funk to his walk like Alberto Del Rio. When you look at ADR, you would actually think, "Damn, this guy is a real asshole". You don't get that with Dibiase. If Cody was given the role that Dibiase has, he would kill it.

My outtake on him and his loosing streak, well that should definitely tell us something, considering the same thing happened to him two years ago. However, that got him heavy face pop when he finally won again. You know why, because he was charismatic and actually entertaining. I don't see the same happening to Ted because, well, he's a lost cause.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.