Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
24,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In the span of a week Kevin Owens went from heel to snarky and anti authority babyface.

He goes from roasting to Dolph Ziggler to roasting Shane McMahon, yelling into the camera about how no one wants to see Shane McMahon on TV so much. About how he hoards TV time over guys like Buddy, Apollo, Asuka, Kairi, etc.

And the audience cheered because it's the truth. And not only that, he stuns Shane McMahon to end the show and escaping into the crowd. Again, in the span of the week he turns himself into a hot commodity.

Now to come back to earth, we saw Miz go up against Shane. How's Miz doing right now. And this doesn't mean anything will change. But for Kevin Owens himself, he's elevated himself instantly in 1 week.

·
C Mac G
5,966 Posts
Another case of WWE burying their own product and I GARUNTEE you nothing will change.

Maybe KO gets a win over Shane at Summerslam, maybe, but the second KO has to wrestle someone like Drew, Vince is gonna look at them both, and put Drew over for the basis of "DA LOOK".

Kevin Owens should be a top baby face, and it's easy to see that if booked properly he can be, the crowd was going nuts for him.

But I have no faith in this company after what has happened to Seth Rollins.

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,561 Posts
He's amazing.

It's funny that is was during his feud with KO when Shane became the SmackDown main focus; he was the last SD member to be eliminated in the 2017 Survivor Series match (a performance that he repeated the year after) and ultimately won his feud against KO at WrestleMania. Many people were saying that Shane's actions were heelish and I thought so too, so now KO, who was officially the bad dude back then, had the balls to go against Shane and become a hero. This can be a great storyline and I really hope KO will be the one to put Shane in his place.

Oh, and SZ allying himself with Shane would be exciting. SZ as the one who blames the fans and KO as the one who blames Shane.

·
You spent too much time looking at my avatar and s
7,820 Posts
Replace Shane with Cena and you've seen 15,000 incarnations of this same exact angle played out. It never lasts long. Cena despite being buried in worked shoots and the crowd going nuts for it because it was the the truth. Never changed.

And that anti-hero usually dropped back to midcard floundering after eating the pin at a PPV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I think that suits him at this point, what's sad about it is I have lack of faith that they will have some kind of continuity with this and KO might be on the losing end. They really made Shane one of the biggest heels right now. Anyway, I am totally fine with this, he doesn't have to be someone who panders to the fans. :lmao

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
I mean, AMAZING for KO as a character. Awesome.

But yeah, just stating out loud the truth of how bad your show sucks only changes things from "the show they're putting on SUCKS and I don't know if they know that" to "the show they're putting on SUCKS and they definitely know that."

So the broader meta textual takeaway here is shame on the company, they know better than what they're doing.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
Its amazing how one promo makes a talent interesting again. Or in some cases like Baykey, Seth and Becky uninteresting.
Tonight's Show had more of a serious Vibe which is why I think people liked it

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
You're punished for great promos, not rewarded for them.

No way in hell is this going in a positive direction for Owens. This company actively puts roadblocks in front of everyone who has real star power.
True but this one involved Shane so I assume Vince was heavily involved.

·
Here Comes The Money
1,972 Posts
Don't you just love how WWE have their stars point stuff out like Charlotte getting constant title opportunities or Shane constantly hogging screen time from talent on both shows?

I mean hearing them mention it through the superstars is great, but there's no reason to have them do it when Shane's ass is probably not going anywhere anytime soon. Even if so, it would still mean less screen time for certain stars anyway.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,974 Posts
Yeah it looks good, but this is probably only happening so that Brock can face Roman at Summerslam honestly. Now it'll be Owens vs Shane instead of Shane vs Kofi. WWE is definitely gonna go with the "swerve" of having Brock cash in on Kofi instead so that Lesnar is champion when the FOX deal starts. My prediction is that the cash in on Kofi happens this Sunday when he beats Joe.

Once KO beats Shane, then what? Back to the mid-card? There's nothing for him to do unless they push Bryan back into the main event scene to feud with him and have Roman turn heel. Vince is probably not gonna want to do a fully fleshed out KO/Lesnar feud. Because where would that leave Roman? Feud with Orton maybe? I could easily see Owens as the top babyface of the show if this is actually his new character though. Looks like he got that NXT passion back.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Yeah it looks good, but this is probably only happening so that Brock can face Roman at Summerslam honestly. Now it'll be Owens vs Shane instead of Shane vs Kofi. WWE is definitely gonna go with the "swerve" of having Brock cash in on Kofi instead so that Lesnar is champion when the FOX deal starts. My prediction is that the cash in on Kofi happens this Sunday when he beats Joe.

Once KO beats Shane, then what? Back to the mid-card? There's nothing for him to do unless they push Bryan back into the main event scene to feud with him and have Roman turn heel. Vince is probably not gonna want to do a fully fleshed out KO/Lesnar feud. Then where does that leave Roman? Maybe a feud with Orton? I could easily see Owens as the top babyface of the show if this is actually his new character though. Looks like he got that NXT passion back.
Everything here is 100, and true. Thankfully though, we will get the straps back on all the heels, which leads to better storytelling long term wise, and if KO survives this Shane roadblock and is still over (He won't) he will get a push around RR.

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
True but this one involved Shane so I assume Vince was heavily involved.
Who fucking cares? Vince is heavily involved in every promo, and even if he gave extra attention to this one, how can you have ANY faith in this company to do anything major with Owens after people like Owens have been fucked and fucked and fucked and fucked and fucked? This is probably just leading to Shane McMahon beating him en route to winning the WWE title, knowing them. :heston

If this storyline were happening in AEW, I would be thinking Joe is gonna win the title from Kofi, and Joe is gonna become the corporate champion who's backed by Shane, and eventually Triple H, Stephanie and Vince, and Owens is gonna be the big babyface who beats him, wins the title and brings down the establishment, but this isn't AEW, or New Japan, or even ROH, Impact, etc, or hell, EVEN NXT. This is the WWE main roster, controlled by Vince McMahon and Paul Heyman, who can't tell their balls from their eyeballs. This isn't a company that wants to put any effort or logic or fan friendly interests in their storylines. They want the blandest, most cookie cutter, generic, lame talent and storylines as their stars. They don't want anyone extraordinary because they don't want anyone to get too big. This is why they latch so hard onto people like Roman Reigns, Lacey Evans, Baron Corbin, Seth Rollins, because those people are fully dependent on the company for their success. They have no hope outside of the company giving it to them, whereas a guy like Owens who grabs peoples attention, they're not interested in that, that doesn't work for them. That's counter-productive to their interests of having complete submission from their workers. If a guy becomes too big of a star then suddenly he controls the promotion, like Hogan and Nash did in WCW. You fucking know they HATED when CM Punk got so fucking big they had to give LICENSED MUSIC. He got a legitimate entrance theme, unlike these geeks who get lame shit. They don't want to be in a position like that again. They don't want somebody to get so over that they can overrule Vince and have the power to book finishes. The second the people they push get a big head and think they own WWE, Vince will just bury them and cycle them out, because they're not stars.

Anybody who can talk in this company is RELENTLESSLY punished. The best thing you can do to succeed in WWE, if you have any talking ability or charisma is HIDE it, because the second they find out about it, you're done. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the smarter wrestlers in WWE actually do this, because anybody who's been watching WWE for any length of time knows how they treat mic work.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts