Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As previously rumored, if the WWE does go with the name change from Michael McGillicutty to Joe Hennig, how are they going to do it within kayfabe, without it seeming totally stupid?

The last name is obvious. He simply wants to carry on the name of his great father, Curt. Last name's are never the problem, but changing the first name always seems idiotic. "I am not Michael. I am Joe." Uhh? Unless they just go with Michael Hennig, which doesn't seem likely, anyone have any brilliant ideas how this could be done in a logical way?

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mick foley / Cactus jack / Mankind / Dude Love.

Kevin Nash / Deisel / Vinny vegas
.... Those really aren't similar to this. It's not like McGillicutty has a character or certain gimmick and will change it completely, for a different persona, as Foley did. Same with Nash going from Vegas in one company to Diesel. Then to another company as his real name.

McGillicutty will simply go to Hennig on the same show, most likely out of no where, with no new character or look. Just stay the same and change his first name. Totally different from Foley or anyone else.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
Too bad the name change won't also adjust his charisma.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have a segment with him and R-Truth. And Mcgillicutty says. "Speaking of Conspiracys, why is my name Michael McGillicutty? I'm Mr.Perfects son." "THE WWE TRYING TO GET YOU GOT DAWG!"

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a segment with him and R-Truth. And Mcgillicutty says. "Speaking of Conspiracys, why is my name Michael McGillicutty? I'm Mr.Perfects son." "THE WWE TRYING TO GET YOU GOT DAWG!"
Awesome! That would actually be somewhat logical with the entire conspiracy angle. It wouldn't be absolutely stupid like it will probably end up. Nice work man.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Oh God, please no. I don't want to play as Michael McGillicutty in WWE '12 while he's Joe Hennig in real life.

But it's funny because he said
if I wanted to keep my name joe hennig i would, i wanna be my own man.
and

A lot of folks are asking about my “name”. Lets face it: Michael McGillicutty is the next generation of the WWE, the next World Champion…While on the other hand Joe Hennig was simply the son of Mr. Perfect…I will make a mark in the WWE & on NXT by MYSELF, not my name.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NICKY / DOLPH ZIGGLER.......

take that, OP.
Male cheerleader. Shows up two years later with a new persona.

It'd be fine if Hennig left for a while and returned as JOE HENNIG, but we know it will just be a quick transition.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
draft him to smackdown. Let him introduce himself as Joe or Michael Hennig, and that he is the son of Mr Perfect Curt Hennig and a 3rd gen superstar. Then he goes on and tells everybody that he isn't perfect but he is great or excellent at what he does. Then some old veterans come to the ring and say he ain't shit. Then he goes on that he want to prove that blablablalba

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,776 Posts
As previously rumored, if the WWE does go with the name change from Michael McGillicutty to Joe Hennig, how are they going to do it within kayfabe, without it seeming totally stupid?

The last name is obvious. He simply wants to carry on the name of his great father, Curt. Last name's are never the problem, but changing the first name always seems idiotic. "I am not Michael. I am Joe." Uhh? Unless they just go with Michael Hennig, which doesn't seem likely, anyone have any brilliant ideas how this could be done in a logical way?
People have come back with different names plenty of times before. Unless you are a wrestling virgin, it shouldn't be anything new or 'out there'.

It's awesome that they are finally going to include the Hennig name and this will lead to mentions of Mr. Perfect, which makes me smile, but the whole *insert generation* angle has been done to death....not that they can't do it again, just saying that it has been done so many times, and it is fantastic that they show respect to their fathers, but it always just looks like they are trying to get somewhere based on their parents and not themselves. If I had a parent in wrestling, I would rather get over on my own than to flaunt who my dad was. Just IMO.

It works, I am just saying that I would personally feel more successful if I could be a somebody without saying 'so and so is my dad'.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just do what Morrison did when changing from Nitro to Morrison, just say I now wish to use my name of birth, announce it and have done with it, no fuss will be made

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Can't we do a repackage? Get him off tv for a while, have him come back as Mr. Perfect Jr. and the world keeps turning.

Or the conspiracy angle. Give it some momentum and some new members.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts