Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought I've had going through my head for a while now. You may remember the summer episode of Raw where John Cena and Chris Jericho confronted one another regarding their situation with the Nexus faction. Well, one line that stood out to me then and stands out all the more today is Jericho's admonishment of Cena. Rather than the usual predictable statements from a heel to Cena, Jericho plainly stated that, yes, Nexus was a huge threat in WWE, and that as soon as he was done with that threat, he would move onto the other major threat facing WWE: John Cena himself.

Jericho continued to point out that Cena runs roughshod over just about everyone on Raw and to a lesser extent the entire WWE. And Jericho pointedly called Cena out as a threat, one that was as perilous as Nexus itself.

It seems rather clear that Jericho won't be returning until 2011, but Jericho's remarks were nevertheless a very well-delivered warning about the power Cena wields--physically, politically, etceteras--and how it could be turned against WWE, which it was later at Hell in a Cell by Wade Barrett and Nexus.

Late last year WWE brought back lowly Carlito to confront Cena during Cena's little feud with Sheamus, at which time Carlito said that many members of the locker room were supportive of Sheamus against the overbearing presence of Cena. More recently, R-Truth, who had been written as Cena's friendly confidant and advisor, strongly suggested to Cena that he simply quit rather than continue being in the position where he may have to take out members of the WWE roster at Barrett's behest.

I find it intriguing that WWE's storyline has demonstrated that, at least to a considerable extent, Jericho was right--in a twisted way, perhaps, but it's quite fascinating to me. And one reason to think that WWE creative consciously wove this theme in and out of the storyline from that point to now is that Barrett had attempted to recruit Nexus, and there was the memorable mini-swerve the night after Money in the Bank where Cena acted as though he was about to "join them" after being unable to "beat them," only to assemble his seven-man army to battle Nexus at Summerslam.

One of the more appealing traits of Jericho's Honest Man character has been that he frequently tells the truth, even if it's hateful and receives hate from fans and others. This is one of the best examples of this yet.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Jericho was wrong. Cena isn't a major threat. If a NXT rookie like Barrett can get him on a leash, he's nothing special. Orton is the threat. By now, kayfabe-wise, if he were in Cena's place he would've punted Barrett into a coma so he can't give orders anymore. The power Orton has to put anybody on the shelf at anytime is more power than anyone else has.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, okay, you win, I guess. Amazing how Orton went from being Shane McMahon's bitch to being able to destroy the entire roster and never lose cleanly, guess he upped the spinach in his diet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
lol... I'd add to that list an Orton promo from last year when he was saying that everybody thinks Cena is an arrogant prick.

But srsly, Creative aren't that smart. Everything you mentioned was just thrown in to work the IWC & the Cena haters. Hell, I'm pretty sure the Nexus angle has been booked on the fly from week one.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
lol... I'd add to that list an Orton promo from last year when he was saying that everybody thinks Cena is an arrogant prick.

But srsly, Creative aren't that smart. Everything you mentioned was just thrown in to work the IWC & the Cena haters. Hell, I'm pretty sure the Nexus angle has been booked on the fly from week one.
Making things up as you go is all a part of a much bigger picture.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Coincidence or cleverly woven in, you make a good observation. Nexus have indeed harvested the power and threat Cena possesses and used it for their own betterment, which is the qualities Jericho spoke of.

It definitely feels like they're leading to the big Heel turn that we've all waited for too. I hope this is a well booked, long winded story that is deliberately being taken down this road - as it'd be some of their better writing in a while.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Jericho was wrong. Cena isn't a major threat. If a NXT rookie like Barrett can get him on a leash, he's nothing special. Orton is the threat. By now, kayfabe-wise, if he were in Cena's place he would've punted Barrett into a coma so he can't give orders anymore. The power Orton has to put anybody on the shelf at anytime is more power than anyone else has.
Or he could have possibly been playing it all along and eventually turn heel, if WWE does it right that it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Wouldn't it be awesome if Cena and Barrett reveal they are actually very strong allies, and have been working the whole "slave" angle for the lulz to piss off the CeNation.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Wouldn't it be awesome if Cena and Barrett reveal they are actually very strong allies, and have been working the whole "slave" angle for the lulz to piss off the CeNation.
Haha, just expect a frequent "Database Error" that will occur in this forum if that happens.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
The OP certainly makes some fine points, but I think it's all just a coincidence really. WWE creative aren't smart enough to think up something like this.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Chris Jericho was always right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts