278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is obvious that some people already lost confidence in
the booking of Kaval. Yes, it´s true, he has not put together
a win since his debut on SD. I will not question the almighty
WWE booking to introduce him via an impressive losing streak
because that has worked for other wrestlers, too. First there
comes to mind Kenta Kobashi, who amounted a glorious 63 matches
losing streak. Then there is also Gillberg.

What do you think- how long will WWE dare to stretch this
streak to make the first win even more oh-so-sweet or is it
a stupid approach after all?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well, Daniel Bryan also had a losingstreak..
So, with WWE's booking logic, Kaval is the new IC in 2 months.

·
Asuka
96,569 Posts
Well, Daniel Bryan also had a losingstreak..
So, with WWE's booking logic, Kaval is the new IC in 2 months.
Different circumstances entirely. Bryan had a losing streak because if he didn't, he would've ran away with NXT based on the judging methods. He was by far the best in the ring and the most over contestant on the show, so that's 2 of 3 categories. They wanted Wade Barrett to win for the Nexus angle to take place, because he has the dominant leader presence and Bryan doesn't, so in order to believably take Bryan down the rankings, he had to lose every match. The second that Bryan got on the main roster, he was the force you see today. That was always the plan.

Kaval is being jobbed out because he's a boring drone. Big difference.

·
Premium Member
44,198 Posts
Here's my whole thing:

You have the guy win NXT 2, and then you put him on the B-Show & have him lose all the time.

Yet, Alex Riley is on Raw, paired with Miz, and getting far more attention, even if it is only as a subordinate to a bigger star in Miz. So, why didn't they just have him win it? They've put Riley in a more meaningful spot than the winner. How does that make sense. Hell, how is Riley even there? Wasn't the winner supposed to be the only one to get a spot on the main roster.

So this little exercise basically tells us that the NXT competition means nothing. Alright.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Here's my whole thing:

You have the guy win NXT 2, and then you put him on the B-Show & have him lose all the time.

Yet, Alex Riley is on Raw, paired with Miz, and getting far more attention, even if it is only as a subordinate to a bigger star in Miz. So, why didn't they just have him win it? They've put Riley in a more meaningful spot than the winner. How does that make sense. Hell, how is Riley even there? Wasn't the winner supposed to be the only one to get a spot on the main roster.

So this little exercise basically tells us that the NXT competition means nothing. Alright.
No, they changed it to the man who wins get a title shot at a PPV.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Here's my whole thing:

Speaking kayfabe, Kaval is obviously in better position right now. Kaval won a championship match opportunity and a Smackdown contract. Riley didn't. Riley is signed to a personal contract by The Miz, but it's not a Raw contract, so he can't compete for title belts.

·
copy of a copy of a
3,752 Posts
Well, he's supposedly being booked as a constant loser to eventually make him an established underdog. Makes sense in a way, but how does taking the fall week after week make it any different? At his height and size in general he will always be the underdog by default, no matter what. Basically he could make Undertaker tap out at Wrestlemania and it would make no difference. I'm a long-time fan of his, but I can't imagine him ever having the upper hand.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, he's supposedly being booked as a constant loser to eventually make him an established underdog. Makes sense in a way, but how does taking the fall week after week make it any different? At his height and size in general he will always be the underdog by default, no matter what. Basically he could make Undertaker tap out at Wrestlemania and it would make no difference. I'm a long-time fan of his, but I can't imagine him having ever the upper hand.
True. I think they're basically setting him up to be a Rey Mysterio-type character. Maybe WWE's big project is to have him fill Mysterio's spot when he retires. It could either be Tatsu or Bourne though.

Anyway, it's true that the losing stream makes no difference. No one really cares about Kaval ATM.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Because a losing streak did wonders for Mvp didn't it :side: Daniel Bryan's was entirely different too.

I'm not even sure if WWE know there booking Kaval on a losing streak to be honest as stupid as it sounds.He's a great talent but they should have him adopt a different character alias Low ki on the indy scene.He was a badass ,heel or face Kaval made it work.I can't see him going far under his current persona really ,as people say he will probably waste his title shot in the elimation chamber ,which is a shame really.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I love Kavals in-ring work. If he is on TV every week i am satisfied, he will get his push, but time is not right now.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
I'm not surprised WWE takes an almost prehistoric approach to building up most small guys.

"They're small? Make 'em the underdog or job 'em out. The audience won't know the difference."

Except, y'know, for the past 20 years or so, small guys have been proving they belong in what was once considered a "big man's sport." Kaval's character is that of a vicious, deadly martial artist. The guy who has disciplined himself spiritually and physically, and yet, I'm still constantly being fed the same bullshit I've been hearing for years - small guys aren't in the big guys' league. This guy is not boring to me. He's exciting, he's fresh, and he can kick ass. Why they're not building him up that way is no longer a mystery, however. WWE is inept at building up most small guys. Daniel Bryan, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, and Rey Mysterio are the exceptions, not the rule. I'm not comparing Kaval to these guys, so don't misconstrue the point I'm trying to make.

Oh well. Complaining and making a big fuss about it won't change a thing, but I'm just sharing what I think about the issue.

·
Banned
542 Posts
It is obvious that some people already lost confidence in
the booking of Kaval. Yes, it´s true, he has not put together
a win since his debut on SD. I will not question the almighty
WWE booking to introduce him via an impressive losing streak
because that has worked for other wrestlers, too. First there
comes to mind Kenta Kobashi, who amounted a glorious 63 matches
losing streak. Then there is also Gillberg.

What do you think- how long will WWE dare to stretch this
streak to make the first win even more oh-so-sweet or is it
a stupid approach after all?
Until its put in your head that you expect KaVal to lose every match thats when WWE will surprise you with him winning randomly over opponents he shouldn't beat. ( underdog character / gimmick remember that).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
kaval is fine. you have to do something unique with him in order to have people care about him. kaval is not a guy that was well known to the wwe fanbase in the first place, so they could care less if he loses every week and thats the reason the wwe is doing it. so that when he gets that first win it will mean something and i have a feeling his first win will come when he defeats dolph ziggler for the ic title. once he does get that first win, look for a long line of wins to follow that. he is on tv mostly every week. he has good matches. even with the losing streak he is still relevant. people saying that bryan's losing streak was different, so was mvp's. mvp's losing streak was a form of punishment, it wasn't a storyline

1 - 20 of 23 Posts