Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I personally loved the immediate aftermath of the unmasking, kane was probably the most interesting he had ever been at least since the 97-98 timeframe, I think its a shame that it quickly evaporated though and he became fairly generic.

they just messed up that he went from being brought out in chains to standing at wrestlemania 20, shouting "your not real" to taker while spending most of the match trying to get away from him. why not play it as kane knowing he would come back as the deadman? it was his whole reasoning of burying him in the first place.

plus why did they unmask him on free TV? was it a simple case of trying to boost TV ratings? just seems like a waste to unmask one of your top stars on free TV instead of at least filler PPV if not one of the big PPVs.

the whole thing just seemed rushed and not thought about properly, the fact he launched into a feud with shane mcmahon of all people seemed abit odd (not knocking the matches though)

any thoughts on how you wouldve booked it?

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
Re: kane unmasking, was it a bad decision?

Nah, it was a great call and it freshened up his character very nicely, which had gotten kinda stale at that point. And then he went on what I think was his best run of his career after it, doing all kinds of crazy shit lol. If I had to change 1 thing, I never liked how his face looked burnt immediately after unmasking and then his face was fine a week later. They said that the burns were "mental" or something weird like that, but in kayfabe I don't think they ever explained it tbh.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts

It was done for ratings yes as pretty much everything from 1996-2012 was

As for whether it was the right choice, yes. The masked kane character had outlived its usefulness and it gave kane a new lease of life at least for a few months. Ironically it would be another defeat to undertaker at a Wrestlemania that would stale momentum

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

at least he was able to breathe afterwards!

the non speaking Kane was a great example of a guy with charisma despite not speaking though.

·
Going fckin' Over.. while Digging Holes-uhh and Bu
2,610 Posts

Unmasking the Big Red Jobber was fine-uhh...

But what perplexed The Haitch was the fact that somehow Kane lost his hair along with the mask..

It was as if the mask was sewn with Kane's hair all of a sudden!

It didn't make sense at all..

Before this reveal, Kane had been unmasked multiple times-uhh, without a proper face-reveal.

For example, when DX unmasked him on RAW in 2000, or when Taker unmasked him at SummerSlam 2000, or when nWo unmasked him in 2002..

The mask came out, but hair stayed on Kane's head-uhh.

Obviously so, because it was supposed to be natural hair.

But the creative thought it would be a great idea to make Kane lose his long sexy hair along with his mask.

Without long hair, Kane looked like a 7 foot penis.

The booking after the reveal didn't make sense either.

Kane didn't win any big matches, nor any championships-uhh.

He continued to be the jobber that he had become.

The only saving grace was when he set JR's fat oklahoma ass on fire.

Or when he electrocuted estranged son Shane's testicles-uhh.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts

Unmasking Kane wasn't a problem IMO. It breathed life into a kinda stale character, and the reveal that the scars were psychological was a nice twist. The weeks that followed with RVD, Linda and Shane were compelling. What I think did Kane in during this time period was the extended feud with Shane O Mac, who was booked to be way too competitive, plus it should have been one month, one PPV match, not 3 months. Then Kane was made to look scared of a returning Undertaker. In itself, not a terrible thing, but after Kane spent 3 months going toe to toe with Shane, it looked weak.

Now, if Kane had run through everybody and THEN been scared of the Deadman, fine. But those things back to back hurt the credibility of his monster character. Then he jobbed to a returning Edge quickly at Backlash.

The unmasking didn't hurt, it created a really compelling, scary character reboot for Kane. But back then, Shane had an ego and a series of bad decisions quickly turned Kane into a utility player. I would have kept the Undertaker WMXX feud basically the same, but the months surrounding it needed major work.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,255 Posts

Kane's been a joke his entire career. A day-long title run, a tag team midcarder within a few years, squashed by HHH, thrown into terrible feuds with Edge, Mysterio and Snitsky, and a stupid Corporation gimmick.

·
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

clearly kane ditched the long hair because they needed to come up with something to make the unmasking more "shocking" because he wasnt actually burned, if he kept the long hair then it wouldnt of been such a difference in appearance, the removing of the hair with the mask at least made for a better visual then him simply turning around with no burns.

mind you, a lot of people ive spoken to think his hair was always fake, they seemed to buy into the idea.

·
2,610 Posts

clearly kane ditched the long hair because they needed to come up with something to make the unmasking more "shocking" because he wasnt actually burned, if he kept the long hair then it wouldnt of been such a difference in appearance, the removing of the hair with the mask at least made for a better visual then him simply turning around with no burns.

Is better than

Here's the thing-uhh...

With long hair, you have numerous possibilities.

With bald head, you are just... bald.

:HHH2

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well look at him. He looks like Homer Simpson. Before he looked like a superhero or villain.

If someone puts you in a costume its because you dont look interesting but Glenn Jacobs doesnt care about his character. Hes a libertarian. All he cares about is money.

·
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Here's the thing-uhh...

With long hair, you have numerous possibilities.

With bald head, you are just... bald.

:HHH2
yet the one possibility not available to long haired users though is being bald. Something tells me kane wouldve looked slightly less imposing if he came out with his hair in a pony tail.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts

Yeah, Kane looked like a total psycho bald! Losing the hair was a good call imo

Only thing I'd have changed about that massive heel run was putting the title on him. Imagine him coming down to the ring all chained up with the big gold strap! Would have been badass!!

·
2,610 Posts

yet the one possibility not available to long haired users though is being bald. Something tells me kane wouldve looked slightly less imposing if he came out with his hair in a pony tail.
Let The Haitch give you an example...

Take Kane's big brother... The Undertaker.

He looked more menacing and destructive force with long hair....

As opposed to his bald look...

Considering how Kane is of similar size and look....

He would've looked better with long hair.

:trips2

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,255 Posts

undertaker looks like a chemo patient when he's bald

·
Banned
531 Posts
I remember when it happened in 03 against HHH at Madison Square Garden it was a huge deal (sounds kind of funny now) it was a pretty epic match and let to some good storylines after heard

I remember thinking no way Kane is losing this (seem stupid right) and he lost it was a big deal and the right call

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,440 Posts
The only thing weak about that decision or the match where it happened was the Pedigree that led to it. Horrible.

·
Oh Becky Becky, Becky Becky Becky Becky Becky Lync
2,270 Posts
:nah

Was needed to freshen up the Kane character but the only thing I would've changed was that I would've preferred he had to lose the mask at a pay-per-view rather than a random episode of RAW but beggars can't be choosers. I did love though when he turned into a 'physico' and had to be chained up, such bad ass.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I thought it was a good idea at the time. I'm actually surprised the WWE was able to hold off for as long as they did (almost six years). The initial moment was pretty cool and first few weeks afterwards were pretty good.

What killed it is he was this unhinged monster and his matches were boring crap. He's not a very good wrestler to begin with and his "brutal" matches were pretty tame. Take the Ambulance Match against Shane. I was expecting total insanity, especially with Shane in the ring with him. Instead it was boring as hell. He should have just been killing people.

And as people have said: without the mask he's ugly but not scary looking.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
19,154 Posts
That was the final straw for a lot of older fans, from what I remember.

It was like, Taker was no longer the dead man, Austin and Rock were gone and now Kane doesn't even have a mask.

I personally enjoyed it. I knew that Kane was having difficulties with breathing and I fucking hated the mask with the mouth missing, was just stupid - but it was a real fresh character change when he unmasked. That run directly afterwards was just exceptional.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts