Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve covered news about the wrestlers who have asked to be released early from their contracts but there are others who are planning on exploring their options when their contracts come up.

On Sunday’s Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer answered a question from a listener about Kairi Sane’s contract. Apparently, there are rumors that she could leave WWE in a few months. Sane signed with WWE in March 2017 and her contract is set to expire in March 2020

“Kairi, obviously we’ve talked about here,” Meltzer said. “I could see her leaving. I don’t know that she’s gonna leave but she’s definitely expressed interest in exploring other options.”

Her options don’t necessarily mean she is considering All Elite Wrestling or any promotion in the United States because there is interest from Takaaki Kidani, head of Bushiroad, about getting her back in with the Stardom promotion.

During an interview with Tokyo Sports, Kidani said that they are looking at bringing back Sane and Io Shirai after their WWE contracts expire. The main roster WWE money is good but it could be tempting for them to go back to their home country.

Bushiroad is the parent company of New Japan Pro Wrestling. They purchased Stardom in October and their plan is to build up the promotion by signing top names like Sane and Shirai.

For those of you wondering about Shirai’s status, she signed with WWE in June 2018 so she has quite a bit of time left on her deal. Her deal was likely for 3 years so she would not be able to leave until 2021.
Source: https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/wwe-raw-star-exploring-options-when-contract-expires-in-a-few-months/

·
Custom User Title
6,365 Posts
Re: WWE Raw star, Kairi Sane exploring options when contract expires in a few months

Talked about in other threads, but it would not shock me at all if she decided to leave. She hasn't been treated very well on the main roster, and as long as WWE has a boner for the WWE 4HW, its hard to see any woman besides Sasha, Bayley, Becky, and Charlotte finding much success. Maybe Alexa as well.

It doesn't help that it looks like they are about to put the tag titles on Becky and Charlotte as soon as TLC, which just buries the rest of the division even further and further cements the fact that unless you are a WWE 4HW, you are never going to actually get the spotlight in a meaningful fashion unless its to put one of them over.

·
Custom User Title
6,365 Posts
Re: WWE Raw star, Kairi Sane exploring options when contract expires in a few months

She ain't gonna leave to go back to Stardom. The money just won't compare.
STARDOM was bought out by Bushiroad, who is obscenely rich. They make a ton of money off of children's card games. Stuff like Cardfight Vanguard makes them an obscene amount of money. Bushiroad also owns NJPW.

Kidani has also said he really wants Kairi back, and they are on a full on marketing push with Stardom under new ownership. So don't be shocked if they offer her an incredibly large contract to come back. Fumi (incredibly reliable scoops guy from Japan) talked about it, and he heard Bushiroad is tempted to pay high six figures for Kairi and Io if necessary. They are VERY serious about pushing STARDOM as a huge force in Japan.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts

I don't see Kairi leaving but STARDOM, with the Bushiroad buyout, can entice Kairi more than initially when she left if they make the move. Even AEW could make a move if they want to (Kenny has wanted her to be the franchise of the Women's division).

·
Registered
8,510 Posts

Vince will beat them if necessary. He has a lot more money to spend on wrestling than any other company.

Besides, I don't even think she'd want to leave with Io in WWE now too. And I think she likes living in America.

I just can't see it happening.

·
Custom User Title
6,365 Posts

I have a feeling once Kairi's contract is up, we are going to see a three way bidding war with WWE, AEW, and STARDOM all wanting her.

WWE because they don't want their stars going elsewhere, AEW because they need her, and STARDOM for marketing reasons.

I'm mainly interested in how WWE will handle it. They'll likely have to back the brinks truck up to Kairi's house if they want even a small chance of enticing her to stay. She has no reason to stay right now, and will have even less of a reason after TLC when they inevitably lose the tag titles to Becky and Charlotte because WWE has a boner for those two.

I think the only way they could get her to stay is give her a Wrestlemania title match, which she wins. And feature her as one of the top women of the division for awhile. None of that is going to happen though because Vince is a moron. He'll probably let her walk, and she'll become a much bigger star elsewhere and then we'll hear the Moxley story again except replace Moxley with Kairi (how Vince was flabbergasted that anyone would want to leave, and they somehow became a big star elsewhere).

·
Registered
10,945 Posts

Vince won't care if she wanted to go back to Japan. He doesn't really see NJPW as a threat.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts

If this was NXT and Kairi was still there, Hunter would fight for her and throw the money to do it. I think Vince sees her as expendable. Not saying Kairi would willfully leave but should she want to explore options, there will be a bidding war and WWE may not necessarily be the victors.

·
Registered
734 Posts

Honestly Im surprised that Kairi, Asuka, Io and Shinsuke have all stayed as long as they have. Its a double edged sword with Japanese wrestlers who dont speak English well. (Or well anyone that struggles with the English language) WWE books them crappy but the lack of promo skills (now that managers are seemingly non existent) gives them a disconnect with the fans. People underrate how valuable guys like Mr. Fuji & Sonny Ono really were.

·
Custom User Title
6,365 Posts

Vince won't care if she wanted to go back to Japan. He doesn't really see NJPW as a threat.
NJPW doesn't have a women's division. STARDOM does. However, Vince probably doesn't see them as a threat.

However, they won't be the only people in the bidding war. AEW will be as well. And Vince 100% sees them as a threat. Kenny has made it very clear that Kairi is near the very top of their signing list in general, and at the top of the women they want to sign for AEW.

Honestly Im surprised that Kairi, Asuka, Io and Shinsuke have all stayed as long as they have. Its a double edged sword with Japanese wrestlers who dont speak English well. (Or well anyone that struggles with the English language) WWE books them crappy but the lack of promo skills (now that managers are seemingly non existent) gives them a disconnect with the fans. People underrate how valuable guys like Mr. Fuji & Sonny Ono really were.
Io has no reason to be angry right now. She's arguably one of the most over stars in NXT right now by a fairly wide margin compared to the rest of the women's division. Outside of maybe Rhea, but she's killed a lot of her own hype by being an asshole to other faces.

As for the disconnect with the audience, that's all on Vince for not actually trying to get them over. They would be over in any other promotion. Hell, all of them are massively over on NXT. So it's purely a Vince thing that causes them to fail.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

She was making more money in Japan than what she is making in the WWE

·
Registered
7,698 Posts

It will be a paycut for sure, but she'll be going home where there are friends and family. Kairi has mentioned a number of times about having homesickness in interviews, unlike Nakamura and Asuka, both of whom have families here living with them.

Bushiroad buying out Stardom also means she'd still be getting more money than what she used to have in Stardom.

Don't underestimate the pull of wanting to go home. KENTA's reasoning for leaving was largely based on the same thing (as well as his booking).

On NXT perhaps. Maybe not on the main roster though. She most certainly has to have gotten a raise or a new contract since coming to the main roster. She HAS to, because on the main roster you have to cover many of your own travel and accommodation expenses. On NXT, they have dorms and travel already paid for.

·
No Regrets
417 Posts

Nakamura has Sami Zayn now as his manager and recently Sami Zayn spoke about that thing. That managers are necessary for some talents today, he enjoy this for now but obviously he wants to wrestle again. For Asuka, the best "manager" could be The Miz but he's on Smackdown.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts

That was only when she was in NXT. No way is that true anymore.

It will be a paycut for sure, but she'll be going home where there are friends and family. Kairi has mentioned a number of times about having homesickness in interviews, unlike Nakamura and Asuka, both of whom have families here living with them.

Bushiroad buying out Stardom also means she'd still be getting more money than what she used to have in Stardom.

Don't underestimate the pull of wanting to go home. KENTA's reasoning for leaving was largely based on the same thing (as well as his booking).
Well, let's hope then. I still don't see it, but I want all the talent to leave. This company doesn't deserve them.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts

Bullshit.

They've all been pushed (albeit not booked) better than the majority of the main roster and all are more over than like 75-80% of the roster. They even fired Paige because they knew that Asuka and Kairi were actually...gasp...connecting better with fans on their own than with a manager.

It's just people who think they should be the faces of their division are upset about how they are handled, with good reason in some cases. But they've certainly been pushed well relative to the entire roster.

It's not like they are booked like Sarah Logan or Ember Moon. Those people have good reason to bolt. Royal Rumble winners and multiple title holders ain't nothing to sneeze at. I can believe they'd be happy with what they've done in the WWE.

It's just that many fans think they can do better.

·
Registered
22,935 Posts

Like I said in the Asuka thread, who knows what people's motivations are and what they'll decide to do.

If you ask me what I think she'll do, I guess she'll stay. But at the same time, she still seems young enough and the options are so vast I could see her at least testing the waters.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,539 Posts

I always knew it wasn't a good idea to bring this japanese small fem wrestlers.
They just work better in their all female promotions...

·
Custom User Title
6,365 Posts

I always knew it wasn't a good idea to bring this japanese small fem wrestlers.
They just work better in their all female promotions...
What? No. If she's looking at other options, then its likely because she feels like she's being mistreated by management. Which is very much true. Acting like she's petite or frail or weak mentally is really dumb and close-minded.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts