Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be commiting forum suicide but anyone eles feel that its just not the same anymore....ive watched wrestling from been a kid and i live in england back then it wasnt as big over jere all of my friends grew out of it but i still kept watching i loved it couldnt get enough, now people might say its because im geting older but i dont think it is because i actully find bret hearts book when he talks about his matches still exciting and when i watch it these days i just dont give my full attention, i dont even really feel strong about it anymore im actually starting to think its shit now is it just me or anyone eles feel the same?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
i might be commiting forum suicide but anyone eles feel that its just not the same anymore....ive watched wrestling from been a kid and i live in england back then it wasnt as big over jere all of my friends grew out of it but i still kept watching i loved it couldnt get enough, now people might say its because im geting older but i dont think it is because i actully find bret hearts book when he talks about his matches still exciting and when i watch it these days i just dont give my full attention, i dont even really feel strong about it anymore im actually starting to think its shit now is it just me or anyone eles feel the same?
You've come down with Hepititus miz... it should clear up within the next 2 - 4 months though.

·
Registered
835 Posts
100% I feel the same! Live in England too, my friends grew out of it (around 2001) as I carried on...I only carried on anyway watching WWE just incase Austin or the Rock made an appearance. But yes I totally agree with all the points you made bruv! Youtube is our saviour at least

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Same tired old opinion, if you really don't like it that much theres a simple solution, stop watching it.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
That's because it's NOT the same. Not hard to grasp. Different roster for the large part and a different TV structure... obviously it's not going to be the same.

My generation of fans are definitely the worst for this. Maybe we need to wake up and realise we were the luckiest fucking kids in the World when it came to wrestling - we had a culmination of GREAT guys all around at once and as a result, magic happened. We got to live through it, experience it as it happened and we loved every minute of it - but that was an anomaly. You're never going to get that combination of greatness together again - so stop comparing every show you ever watch now to back then.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I havnt watched a wwe show since the raw 15th anniversary. Before that i stopped watching faithfully in 2005

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
I liked it in 2006 when Trips could say c*ck and nobodied care, they'd have stripping males, bikini contests, and shit dropped on the boss (Literally)

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's because it's NOT the same. Not hard to grasp. Different roster for the large part and a different TV structure... obviously it's not going to be the same.

My generation of fans are definitely the worst for this. Maybe we need to wake up and realise we were the luckiest fucking kids in the World when it came to wrestling - we had a culmination of GREAT guys all around at once and as a result, magic happened. We got to live through it, experience it as it happened and we loved every minute of it - but that was an anomaly. You're never going to get that combination of greatness together again - so stop comparing every show you ever watch now to back then.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I mean people thought that in 1993-1995 after the Golden Era and then the new guys came and dominated it (for the record I preferred the Golden Era but whatever). I feel the real problem is lack of competition at the moment, WWE doesn't have to create killer storylines, characters and take risks. In time this might change.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
as a mentioned before in this topic, its not the same product anymore.

i have watched wrestling only about 11 years, but it is still entertaining:gun:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

fair enough ill agree with u over the fact we lived through it and it was great, but for there been a different tv structure thats totally wrong we still have raw on a monday still have smackdown on a tues and still av a ppv every four weeks, i watched wwe for the first time in a long time the other week and i seen the wwe old school and i loved it it went back before my timeof watching it and it was even better. i hate it when people like you try to say that i want the attitude era back because i dont that eras been done and it cant be re done but for this shit pg era i just want it to end.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm in the middle of getting all the PPVs from around '99 through to 2002 via the Tagged Classics DVD's at the moment. I grew up as a kid of the Federation era, Rock n' Wrestling... the whole shebang. Fell back into wrestling at the beginning of 2000, and for me the years between 2000-2002 are now 'my era'. 2001 was pretty much perfect in terms of PPV's, and SD! was just riveting TV during the Heyman era, which peaked by 2002. The product today will never match that, not remotely close, but I still get a fuzzy feeling every Tuesday morning when I dash to the TV to watch the RAW that I Sky+'d the night before.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I know what you mean. It's obvious to anyone it isn't the same. It just hasn't got that aura or atmosphere surrounding it like it used to have. Everything felt must watch and important and you didn't want to miss a minute of it.

When WCW died for good after Invasion. Wrestling began to fall off the radar.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
It's obviously not the same, it's different, can't expect Austin to be wrestling and Rock to still be under 30, Cena not of debuted in 2010.....

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's because the product is watered down and generic now. While everyone was marking out over Nexus, it just felt like a generic rip off of the NWO without the star power or the Balls. The NWO was scary kayfabe-wise, whereas it feels like I could round up some guys in the neighborhood and beat the crap out of Nexus. Goofy Heath Slater and soft spoken Otunga are hardly Nash and Hall.

Not only are the angles generic, but wrestlers have to be so conscious of what they say, for fear of not being PG. Of course there were always limits, it's not like you could say "fuck you" during the attitude era but at least when DX or Stone Cold were on the mic, it felt like they could say anything they wanted. Nowadays superstars have to hold back a lot more and that makes them seems stiff and generic on the mic.

Wrestling no longer feels spontaneous, and I think that may have something to do with our apathy.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Wrestling pretty much sucks nowdays, TNA is a trainwreck and the WWE is a bunch of BS made for kids and women.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It wasn't going to last forever though. I suppose we should just be glad most of us were a part of it.

Hopefully one day the business will be like it was again. All it needs is new direction or someone or something to come along with a new concept that will catch on like forest fire.

The main problem is the WWE has gone back into its bubble again. It needs to recognize what society wants and what they're currently into and cater for them. I don't think Vince and co have a bloody clue about what's happening in the outside world. Because they're so engrossed in the WWE bubble once again. There's nobody that can tell them otherwise.

I'm hoping that Freddie Prinze Junior will shake things up a bit. Although I'm doubtful he's the best man for the job anyway. At least he's a real fan looking in from the real world.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It will only get better when the current stars get more mic freedom and creative actually lets them build up their characters. People say PG has nothing to do with the lame product, but it actually has a lot to do with it. You can't express yourself like you could back in the day.

In terms of pure wrestling, this era is better. But pro wrestling was never about just wrestling, it's 50% story, 50% wrestling.

Wrestling WILL be like it once was during the attitude era, it's just a matter of when it will be like that. I'd say 10-15 years at most, unless WWE actually changes it's whole direction and wants to create a better product now. I really don't see why the product can't be aimed at adults AND kids. Most of us were kids during the Attitude Era, which is how we became fans. I really don't get it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It wasn't going to last forever though. I suppose we should just be glad most of us were a part of it.

Hopefully one day the business will be like it was again. All it needs is new direction or someone or something to come along with a new concept that will catch on like forest fire.

The main problem is the WWE has gone back into its bubble again. It needs to recognize what society wants and what they're currently into and cater for them. I don't think Vince and co have a bloody clue about what's happening in the outside world. Because they're so engrossed in the WWE bubble once again. There's nobody that can tell them otherwise.

I'm hoping that Freddie Prinze Junior will shake things up a bit. Although I'm doubtful he's the best man for the job anyway. At least he's a real fan looking in from the real world.
I hope you're right. Thing is, WWE thinks they know more than everyone else and that they are the epitome of pop culture. That is wrong. If wwe wants a better product listen to the IWC, listen to what the fans want. Get better, younger, writers who know more about what we want and what is quote unquote cool.

Really, I hate to be the guy to say this, but PG just isn't the way to go anymore. Almost all shows are TV 14, and most, if not all, kid shows are PG 13 and have mild cussing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's because the product is watered down and generic now. While everyone was marking out over Nexus, it just felt like a generic rip off of the NWO without the star power or the Balls. The NWO was scary kayfabe-wise, whereas it feels like I could round up some guys in the neighborhood and beat the crap out of Nexus. Goofy Heath Slater and soft spoken Otunga are hardly Nash and Hall.

Not only are the angles generic, but wrestlers have to be so conscious of what they say, for fear of not being PG. Of course there were always limits, it's not like you could say "fuck you" during the attitude era but at least when DX or Stone Cold were on the mic, it felt like they could say anything they wanted. Nowadays superstars have to hold back a lot more and that makes them seems stiff and generic on the mic.

Wrestling no longer feels spontaneous, and I think that may have something to do with our apathy.
i agree with this like im not saying aww i want the rock stone cold etc back but something as entertaining as that era would do me. i can see why alot of people hate cena because he live and breathes the PG era

1 - 20 of 37 Posts