Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tonight's crows reaction, I've realized that Daniel Bryan is fucking over as hell whenever WWE is in a city that has a smart mark audience. I think we all realized this last week when he go booed. My point is that the WWE should just keep Daniel Bryan's character where it is. He should play off whatever crowd he has that night. The way he worked the London crowd tonight was great, yelling YES in Kofi's face backstage, throughout the match and at the end as he walked off. If he is in a city that has a younger audience that boos him right away, he should play a more heelish role thoughout the program. Nothing too drastic, but maybe a little more sarcastic and have him go against an established face.

You can use him to help turn wrestlers one way or the other as well. Use tonight for an example; if for some reason the WWE wanted to turn Kofi heel, they could have used the crowd reactions to do so. They could have had him get really pissed off at the chants, and cheat to win, and then yell at the crowd during a post-match promo. I'm not saying they should have done this, I'm just saying it's a viable option when you are in a smart mark city, because Daniel Bryan is one of the most, if not the most over with these type of audiences.

What ever they decide to do with his character, it's pretty much all but a guarantee that Daniel Bryan will get cheered throughout Extreme Rules, and Sheamus might get booed out of the building.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
That kind of booking hurts your faces though. Sheamus, Kofi anyone whose geared towards kids becomes the defacto heel in any feud v Bryan in a smark city.

At least with John Cena he's use to it and is able to overcome it with his undeniable drawing power.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I agree. In a way I think we are getting the american dragon so to speak. If they let him run with a winning streak, a build back up to him winning the belt could be amazing to watch. Just to bad Extreme Rules is so close and I don't see them letting Sheamus lose it so quick, and your only option is to have Bryan lose and kill his momentum. If you have Sheamus win, but in a non-clean way, you risk killing the guy you built up winning the Rumble and WM, which honestly I'd hate to see them do to Sheamus. It just seems like all the wrong timing. Bryan got super hot in popularity and its dumb not to run with it, but you have to sacrifice your traditionally built Rumble/WM combo winner Superstar.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
D Bryan may need to add some Jeckyll/Hyde vibe to his character if the crowds continue reacting to him the way they do, playing a face in smark cities and beeing a heel in normal crowds. Would probably fail bigtime, but it would be a very original experiment nevertheless.

·
Registered
616 Posts
After tonight's crows reaction, I've realized that Daniel Bryan is fucking over as hell whenever WWE is in a city that has a smart mark audience. I think we all realized this last week when he go booed. My point is that the WWE should just keep Daniel Bryan's character where it is. He should play off whatever crowd he has that night. The way he worked the London crowd tonight was great, yelling YES in Kofi's face backstage, throughout the match and at the end as he walked off. If he is in a city that has a younger audience that boos him right away, he should play a more heelish role thoughout the program. Nothing too drastic, but maybe a little more sarcastic and have him go against an established face.

You can use him to help turn wrestlers one way or the other as well. Use tonight for an example; if for some reason the WWE wanted to turn Kofi heel, they could have used the crowd reactions to do so. They could have had him get really pissed off at the chants, and cheat to win, and then yell at the crowd during a post-match promo. I'm not saying they should have done this, I'm just saying it's a viable option when you are in a smart mark city, because Daniel Bryan is one of the most, if not the most over with these type of audiences.

What ever they decide to do with his character, it's pretty much all but a guarantee that Daniel Bryan will get cheered throughout Extreme Rules, and Sheamus might get booed out of the building.

Thoughts?

and then at some point IWC will start hating for his character "not evolving".

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D Bryan may need to add some Jeckyll/Hyde vibe to his character if the crowds continue reacting to him the way they do, playing a face in smark cities and beeing a heel in normal crowds. Would probably fail bigtime, but it would be a very original experiment nevertheless.
Yeah this is what I was basically suggesting. It may fail, but I think it's worth a shot. Bryan has the ability to play to whatever crowd he has.

and then at some point IWC will start hating for his character "not evolving".
It's inevitable lol

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
Keep him as a heel or tweener, otherwise he's gonna turn into Santino or Ryder.
There is no way he would ever turn into that type of character. WWE can be idiot sometimes but with DB's talents if they wasted it like that they would get backlash from fans and im sure even performers past and present. Bryan is a former World Champ, MITB winner. i never get why ppl say he could become Ryder or Santino, those guys started out as joke characters and never serious at all.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I think the feud will end up playing out like the Bret Hart/Austin feud where they both turn, DB will turn face and Sheamus will end up a heel before the feud is over, again since he's not really moving merchandise anyway as a top face and now DB is getting main event level pops even in a backstage segment, and selling tons of YES shirts.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bryan isn't just over with the Smarks, he is THE most over guy right now. Punk gets broader support, but even he gets Bryan YES chants when he lands kicks. Even the marks are turning over to the way of the YES.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
It seems they're trying to have Sheamus and DB interact as little as possible til ER where the feud will end. They're probably scared Sheamus is gonna get Cena reactions.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
It seems they're trying to have Sheamus and DB interact as little as possible til ER where the feud will end. They're probably scared Sheamus is gonna get Cena reactions.
This is disappointing. Instead of trying to fix the problem, they are avoiding it. That doesn't sound like successful business.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
If DB is in the WHC match @ Over the Limit it's gonna be a triple threat between him, ADR and Sheamus.

or it may be a rematch if DB wins @ ER. :vince2

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You can use him to help turn wrestlers one way or the other as well. Use tonight for an example; if for some reason the WWE wanted to turn Kofi heel, they could have used the crowd reactions to do so. I'm not saying they should have done this, I'm just saying it's a viable option when you are in a smart mark city, because Daniel Bryan is one of the most, if not the most over with these type of audiences.

But what if the reactions from that crowd don't translate to the next crowds as they were purely a smark one? It's too risky, they need to know how each crowd will react to plan turns so they work well.

This situation with Bryan, they are still making him do heelish things yet those things are indirectly getting cheered. How can so many people think he is a face the way he treats AJ, it kills the kayfabe. The crowds before were never quite sure how to react to her and now lately they are all over the place. Both their characters are in a real mess and have been for a while. It's made all the more interesting to see where this will go though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts