Wrestling Forum banner

Josh Mathews is a great announcer

1868 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  PBens21
The best is when the camera is on them and Cole is going on one of his rants about himself being a broadcast journalist, Lawler, the Miz/Riley, or Daniel Bryan. Josh will just have this hilarious look on his face like "awww jeez". Josh is very, very good. I also like it when he and Cole bicker at each other. It can take away from the matches sometimes, but if they are bickering for example during the replay of the finish of a match that just ended, I laugh so hard.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

4,013 Posts
He's pretty good, but I didn't think he done an awesome job at being the play-by-play commentator on RAW last week. But i'm sure he will improve if given the chance in that role.

He's definitely the best commentator they have got, though.

· Zombo
12,624 Posts
He's pretty good, but I didn't think he done an awesome job at being the play-by-play commentator on RAW last week. But i'm sure he will improve if given the chance in that role.

He's definitely the best commentator they have got, though.
No. Josh Matthews is a good announcer. Jim Ross is a GREAT announcer.
These two comments ultimately sum Josh Matthews up right now. There's no way we can put Matthews on the same pedestal as Ross, or even a guy like Heenan (whom I consider the "great" colour commentator - obviously distinguished from a play-by-play announcer, but you get my point).

Matthews is the most solid all-around guy they have calling the action, currently, but that doesn't earn him the title of greatness yet. I really hope that one day he does achieve greatness though - he certainly seems to have a passion for the business, and I think he can connect with a younger audience, which will allow them to hopefully grow up with him doing the commentary.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
Yeah Josh is very good. Striker sucked.
I disagree. Striker spoke to me the most out of the current crop. Technically, Matthews leads.
Flare goes to Booker.
Cole's got his character going.
Striker's just my bias. He's (too)smart, tries to get guys over storywise(which matters), and is an admitted mark. And that term is no longer taboo. So long as we don't go to the origins of the term. Mark = bigtime fan these days.

My current ideal team would be Striker, Booker, Matthews. Especially when one of the former two turn heel, w/o coling it up.

· Registered
354 Posts
I disagree. Striker spoke to me the most out of the current crop. Technically, Matthews leads.
Flare goes to Booker.
Cole's got his character going.
Striker's just my bias. He's (too)smart, tries to get guys over storywise(which matters), and is an admitted mark. And that term is no longer taboo. So long as we don't go to the origins of the term. Mark = bigtime fan these days.

My current ideal team would be Striker, Booker, Matthews. Especially when one of the former two turn heel, w/o coling it up.
I love Strikers way to sell moves "Feel your 'whatever' limb, now imagine that being pressed and bent".

But as others said, Josh Matthews is good, Jim Ross was great. The best there ever was. Matthews is still young though.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
He is good cause he has a passion for the Business, however not great, and not close to it, i mean it could happen, as he is doing this like only for a Few Years. I doubt he will ever reach greatness, but never say never and i would be happy for him, he seems like a real nice Guy.

· Registered
99 Posts
STRIKER SUCKS
JOSH OKAY BUT NOT GOOD HIS A FAIL

COLE FUNNY A BIT DRAMATIC BUT I LOVE IT "HOW DID IT FEEL TO KNOW UR MOTHER HAD THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE" BEST QUOTE FROM COLE

LAWLER A LEGEND THE BEST EVER
JR LEGEND GREATEST OF ALL TIME HE COULD TAKE ANY MATCH AND MAKE IT GREAT

BOOKER T IS GREAT SO FAR

PEOPLE WITH PERSONALITY R THE ONLY ONES THAT MATTER MONKEY

· Registered
561 Posts
Josh is doing a fine job. The reason why he may seem to quiet at times is because he is being pushed as an actual commentator and nothing else. He simply kayfabe and in real life does his job of announcing matches at an event.

Josh is also pretty young an I think as he ages and develops more of a voice he will be great.

With all that said I also feel he definitely needs a partner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.