Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 780 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,413 Posts
Re: The Joker getting solo movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joaquin-phoenixs-joker-origin-movie-officially-a-go-1126127

Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros.

The Joker origin movie is officially a go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.

Warners has a possible second Joker movie in the works as Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad, now has his own solo film project in development.

Emma Tillinger Koskoff (The Wolf of Wall Street) is producer on the Joker origin stand-alone, while Richard Baratta is an executive producer.

Phoenix, who won a best actor award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for Lynne Ramsey’s You Were Never Really Here, next stars in Gus Van Sant's Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot, which opens Friday.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

Honestly, I'm pretty freakin excited for the potential of this. Yea yea it's not going to be part of the DCEU continuity, which means it won't be like the MCU blah blah blah but TBH I see that as a good thing. I hate this idea that every comic book movie now within a universe has to be building to some grand story arc and remain within continuity. It chains writers and doesn't allow for completely different things. The MCU has their way and that's fine, but it's not the ONLY way and it shouldn't be. Plus movies like Logan and Deadpool have already proven that you don't need to follow some orderly sequence of movies with a grand story arc to make a universe of good movies. The movies just need to be well...good. Hopefully this will be good.

Btw I heard this might be part of "DC Dark" or "DC Black" which will be their more mature entertainment brand. I guess we'll see come comic con maybe.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts

:lmao

So they are going to bastardize the Jokers history with a 'bullied' Storyline?

'He's not really a baddie he just got put in a locker and swirled as a kid!"

:HA

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

:lmao

So they are going to bastardize the Jokers history with a 'bullied' Storyline?

'He's not really a baddie he just got put in a locker and swirled as a kid!"

:HA
Where does it state this? They're saying this will be more of a crime drama. Seems like it would be more like Taxi Driver if anything. Phoenix is too old to play some hot topic emo teen with issues.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts

I think this has the potential to be good. That being said, WB cant seem to figure out how to get the DCEU movies to work, so let's release a movie with one it's characters played by another actor that has nothing to do with any of the other movies. And supposedly they have another Joker movie coming out with Jared Leto? Yeah, this is really gonna work out well.............

That would be like Marvel putting out a Loki solo movie with another actor, then having Tom Hiddleston play him again in another Thor movie. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

Joaquin Phoenix could have been a possible box office mainstay following Walk the Line but he quickly did a full U-turn and made almost strictly small indies for the better part of a decade and a half. If any 40-plus actor has earned a big, juicy "paycheck role," it is him.

The only way I see this working, even with Phoenix playing the role, is to make it a latter day Scarface with him channeling some combination of Paul Muni, Jack Nicholson and perhaps a splash of Gene Hackman in sadistic villain mode. Really lean in to this character's sick vantage point but do so with panache since he is apparently the all-out protagonist here. Of course it seems a touch odd since Phoenix would appear to be a bit old to play this part in an "origins" tale but it is reasonable to believe that were he to be scrubbed down and given a makeover (sorry, just thinking of how he looked in You Were Never Really Here) he could likely still pass for 32.

Reactions: Stormbringer

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

I think this has the potential to be good. That being said, WB cant seem to figure out how to get the DCEU movies to work, so let's release a movie with one it's characters played by another actor that has nothing to do with any of the other movies. And supposedly they have another Joker movie coming out with Jared Leto? Yeah, this is really gonna work out well.............

That would be like Marvel putting out a Loki solo movie with another actor, then having Tom Hiddleston play him again in another Thor movie. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?
It would be like Marvel making a Thanos stand alone movie with someone other than Brolin playing the role, but I get your point.

I just don't see how they would go about making this movie considering the fact that according to the source material, there are in fact 3 Jokers, and each Joker being subtly different from one another despite looking the same.

Phoenix is a great actor, but I don't think a director like Phillips can give him good material or excellent direction to work with (something which is really required for a complex character like Joker to be translated to the mainstream audience). Let's face it, Phillips greatest claim to fame are The Hangover movies, which are absolutely the worst movies I ever saw.

·
Ramble On
11,103 Posts

Phoenix is incredible so maybe he will be good in the role but a joker origin story directed by Todd Phillips has no appeal to it what so ever for me. A different director then maybe, what happened to Scorsese being involved in a joker movie? Did that fall through?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

I enjoyed Jared Leto as The Joker. Fight me!

- Vic
I get that you are very controversial on this board, but come on, you really think Leto was a competent Joker?

Every actor brings his own interpretation to the role that he portrays; some work (RDJ as Iron Man), and some don't (Smith as Deadshot, Jones as Iron Fist). I thought Leto was a disgrace.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts

Yes. He was a hybrid of Nicholson & Ledger and made the most of the limited screen time he was given.

- Vic

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

Leto Joker was not my cup of tea. I don't mind Jared Leto as joker but that interpretation of Joker I don't like. The tattoos, the slicked back hair no eyebrows gangster joker I did not like. He looked liked a rapper these days. Even had grills in teeth. I hated that joker.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

Phoenix is incredible so maybe he will be good in the role but a joker origin story directed by Todd Phillips has no appeal to it what so ever for me. A different director then maybe, what happened to Scorsese being involved in a joker movie? Did that fall through?
This is that same project. Martin Scorsese, from everything I have been able to gather, is still attached as producer.

he always been a mainstay to me :mj2
I like him, too. He was excellent in films like To Die For, 8MM, Gladiator and Signs before Walk the Line, too. Loved him in Two Lovers: http://colemancornerincinema.blogspot.com/2009/03/two-lovers-2008.html :side:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Wonder Woman was the only movie in the DCEU that was both critically acclaimed and financially successful. Every other movie in the franchise has been rotten on Rotten Tomatoes with numbers ranging from 27% to 55%.

The Avengers being the highest grossing movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a testament to how successful the MCU has been. Justice League being the lowest grossing movie in the DC Extended Universe was a testament to how unsuccessful the DCEU has been.

The opening weekend box office numbers for the DCEU are getting lower and lower as we speak. Batman v Superman opened with $166M, Suicide Squad opened with $133M, Wonder Woman opened with $103M, Justice League opened with $96M, and things aren't looking good for Aquaman.

If casual movie goers see a trailer featuring Leto's Joker, are they going to be excited for the movie given the franchise's extremely negative reception? No. But if they see a trailer featuring Phoenix's Joker, are they going to be excited for the movie? Yes, because they would be willing to give the new franchise a chance after being underwhelmed by the last one on so many occasions.

DC's no stranger to multiverses. Even though they're not doing well on the big screen with universally panned movies like Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, and Justice League, they're doing well on the small screen with universally praised shows like Arrow, Black Lightning, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts

The one blessing about the DCEU's perceived divisiveness is that it's paved the way for Warner Bros to get a little more creative and less fixated on being so gung-ho about their cinematic universe. I like the fact we're getting a totally left field Joker movie that's going to have nothing (maybe?) to do with the other movies. Joaquin Phoenix getting his teeth into one of the greatest villains of all time excites the hell out of me. I am not so keen on the origin aspect but I'll give it a try and see how it pans out.

I really hope this turns out well cause frankly I would like to see more off the wall projects like this green light instead of just going down the tired cinematic universe route, I am getting quite bored of that now. I much preferred the days when we were just getting solo Spider-Man, Batman, Blade etc movies, it felt more free and fun back then, now everything seems to be getting weighed down by the stress of having to juggle these universes.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Re: Joaquin Phoenix Joker Origin Movie (October 4th, 2019)

Wow a lot sooner than expected. Happy TBH given that it seems like it's been in pre production for awhile now.

Just hope it's good. Can't wait to see Phoenix in the make-up.
Makes sense given the lower scale and smaller budget. I doubt there will be much VFX shots either.

I do wonder if this date perhaps might be an indication that Warner Bros might try and get some awards consideration?

BTW Umberto Gonzalez reported awhile back that Frances McDormand turned down the role of Joker's mother. And I've even heard rumours about Robert DeNiro possibly staring as well. Seems like they might be going all out for the cast.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

Phoenix as Joker just sounds fucking amazing, but it's a risky move given that his portrayal will probably eclipse Leto's DCEU Joker and this is likely a "one and done" deal.

101 - 120 of 780 Posts