Wrestling Forum banner

761 - 780 of 780 Posts

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,205 Posts
Why am I so happy this movie hit 1 billion? It's not like I'm getting any of it. But I am so happy.
It's good because a non-marvel formula comic movie made huge profit for being good over being a brand name. This is not to say the Joker isn't a huge name but we seen DC drop the ball with big names before.

The movie was rated R, with huge backlash before it released and critic sandbagging and yet it's wildly successful and is great news to be sure that studios are more willing to take bigger creative risks.

Grosses
Domestic (31.5%)
$326,857,842
International (68.5%)
$710,000,000
Worldwide
$1,036,857,842

My weekly Joker update. It passed $700 million overseas and passed Suicide Squad on the domestic DC list. The next two DC movies that it can surpass are Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($330.4 million) and Aquaman ($335.1 million). LOL at how much more profitable Joker was compared to Batman v Superman. :heston :sodone

It surpassed Captain Marvel's $701,444,955 international total and has a shot at both Spider-Man: Far from Home ($741 million), Captain America: Civil War ($745 million) on the international comic movie grosses.

Also I read on The Hollywood Reporter that Todd Phillips will make close to $100 million from the film thanks to how his contract was arranged. The report says Phillips declined being paid an upfront salary in exchange for earning a bigger piece of Joker's box office performance. :vince$
He's smart, not only does this earn him more money but he put his money where his mouth is and banked on the success. Standing behind your work is pretty big!

60,000 Posts
My final Joker box office update. It surpassed Batman v. Superman and with just over $5 million more can surpass Guardians of the Galaxy,Spider-Man: Homecoming, Aquaman, and Spider-Man 3. It's been an amazing run for Joker.

Grosses
Domestic (31.5%)
$330,601,522
International (68.5%)
$717,700,000
Worldwide
$1,048,301,522

Take care. It's been fun. :salute

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope they come up with something that is actually good, a worthwhile follow up to Joker and not just a blatant cash grab. When a movie makes that much profit, a sequel felt inevitable.
I mean if we're being honest the film 'Joker' itself was a blatant cash grab. This is not a story that felt like it absolutely needed to be told. The finished work only underlines that IMO.

The goal was always a sequel, don't let them fool you. The ending was left purposely vague for that reason.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,642 Posts
Just purchased Joker on Youtube Digital. With tax, it came to $21.31. Not bad considering it's in UHD and I now own it forever. Can't wait to give it a watch tonight with the wife. We saw it once in the movie theater, but haven't seen it since. Tonight will be a great time.

:banderas

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just purchased Joker on Youtube Digital. With tax, it came to $21.31. Not bad considering it's in UHD and I now own it forever. Can't wait to give it a watch tonight with the wife. We saw it once in the movie theater, but haven't seen it since. Tonight will be a great time.

:banderas
Enjoy. Patiently waiting on the blu ray

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Interesting how the idea I mentioned was actually considered as the original ending for the movie (supposedly):

"Originally, the ending in the hospital was different," Smith said on his Fatman Beyond show. "He's in the hospital and he laughs, chuckles, and he says, 'I was just thinkin' of something funny. What was supposed to happen was you flashed back to the death or Thomas and Martha Wayne and it was him killing Thomas and Martha Wayne and the boy was screaming and crying and he turned to walk away and he turned back, shrugged, and shot the kid. Credits."
The full conversation can be seen in Smith's YouTube video above, with the Joker bits starting at the 16:35 mark.

"What the f---, man!" Smith asked himself, pointing out something important: "This world has no Batman!"
Of course, the Joker movie did not ultimately have a Batman in it at all despite portraying the key moment from Bruce Wayne's origin story which lead to him becoming Gotham's Caped Crusader. It is entirely possible that the studio elected not to feature the violent killing of a kid in an already violent and controversial movie but there also remains the idea that a sequel was being preserved which might pit the Joker character against a grown up Bruce Wayne as Batman. For now, Warner Bros. promises there are no official plans for a sequel to Joker.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
3,056 Posts
I don't really care for "Joker."

The film is certainly a well-crafted one: the cinematography is gorgeous, Hildur Guðnadóttir's score is effectively moody, and Joaquin Phoenix gives a tour de force performance. However, as wonderful as those elements are in isolation, they are in service of a story and tone we have seen ad nauseam."Taxi Driver," "The King of Comedy," "Willard," "Magic" (1978), "Christmas Evil," "American Psycho," "Dog Day Afternoon,"... "Joker" shares DNA with all of them, yet does nothing fresh with the tropes they established. Director/co-scripter Todd Phillips is obviously an admirer of "New Hollywood," but his film is more an overly reverent homage to that movement than the groundbreaking thriller it has been acclaimed as.

There is not an ounce of nuance to be found in "Joker"; it is as subtle as a shot to the head on national television: every Gothamite is a brutish caricature, every song choice is painfully obvious, and a major twist practically bludgeons the viewer to death. Nihilism has its place in the pictures, but "Joker's" cynicism is almost comical in how over-the-top it is. Must we have two sequences in which our titular character is literally beaten while he's down? And what exactly is the film trying to say? Normally, I don't concern myself with that sort of thing, but "Joker" WANTS you to think that it is important; it practically demands it! There's a general "society BAD" theme that's underdeveloped; the film scorns the affluent, but that also seems a bit shallow. Does it want us to show compassion to the mentally-ill? Perhaps, but then the message seems to be, "Be nice to the mentally-ill... or THEY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU!" That's hardly a plea for empathy.

Would we be talking about this dancing clown movie if it had no tenuous ties to a beloved supervillain? Probably not. Had it been called "Fleck" or something to that effect, it would be just another psychological thriller with a brilliant performance at its center. With that said, I do believe "Joker" is an important step in the evolution of the comic book film. Regardless of my feelings, it proved that superhero films can be more than disposable actioners; that the cape-and-cowl crowd can work in any context. I hope Hollywood learns the right lessons from "Joker," and that the superhero genre is allowed to flourish.

And, Joker or not, Joaquin Phoenix's performance is magnificent.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
51,642 Posts
Every time I watch this movie it gets better and better. And Phoenix's performance was the best of 2019 in all of cinema. Don't care what anyone says. He's deserved the many awards he's won for the performance and any he wins in the future for this performance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm curious, what are everyone's thoughts on the ending?

Was that the 'real' Joker as we usually know him? Was the entire movie a crazy retelling from his twisted point of view? Was nothing real?

·
Mamba Mentality
25,143 Posts
My favorite part of Joaquin’s speech:

"That's when we're at our best—when we support each other. Not when we cancel each other out for past mistakes, but when we help each other to grow, when we educate each other, when we guide each other toward redemption."

We really need to receive that message and put it to work perpetually.

Also, major props to Hildur Guðnadóttir for creating a spellbinding score.

·
40,695 Posts
My favorite part of Joaquin’s speech:

"That's when we're at our best—when we support each other. Not when we cancel each other out for past mistakes, but when we help each other to grow, when we educate each other, when we guide each other toward redemption."

We really need to receive that message and put it to work perpetually.

Also, major props to Hildur Guðnadóttir for creating a spellbinding score.
that's self evident, but if it takes an actor saying it at an awards show for it to start happening again then that'll be totally ok with me.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,205 Posts
I thought Joker should have won more awards but figured it was going to be tough. Knew the score would win because, well, it's a woman doing it. So that gives it a pass to our betters.

Wish Gervais would have done the Oscars over the Golden Globes.. It would have been so much fun.

·
40,695 Posts
Finally saw this. It's pretty great, but only if most if not all of it is delusion and fantasy. What's great about The Killing Joke is that what we see as Joker's origin probably isn't actually the character's origin. Same here with this movie. Obviously, Phoenix was Phoenix aka great.

761 - 780 of 780 Posts