Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, kind of weird seeing me of all people about to type this but it does have me wondering a few things lately.

For the record, I can't stand John Morrison. I feel Morrison has little to no passion for the business that a Miz, Punk, Cena, Bryan, Ryder have and that is why he has been complacent for the last nine years of his WWE career. I also think he has some of the worst mic skills I think I have ever heard from a WWE superstar in a while. Not to mention his poor delivery and monotonous voice don't help his situation either. The guy can be entertaining in the ring, no doubt. However, I wouldn't consider him a great wrestler as other do as he tends to rely on spots and high octane moves that get the crowd to pop for a second or two but ultimately don't translate any overness for the character himself.

This year seemed like it was promising for him. Morrison beat Sheamus at TLC to earn the right to face the WWE champion at the time, The Miz, for the WWE Championship. A valiant effort in a good match that saw Miz win the match but that was to be expected. It was around this time that Morrison was looking to become a WWE title contender.

Then we go to Wrestlemania 27 and the debacle, where it was rumored that the problems leading to the event are causing the current decline of the Morrison character. Rumors circulated that Morrison's girlfriend, or ex I guess, Melina wanted to take WWE legend Trish Stratus's spot in the celebrity match involving Snooki from Jersey Shore. Booking errors and nonsensical writing to lead to that route aside, Morrison apparently blew off Trish with certain ideas she came up with for the match. Cue Wrestlemania 27 and Morrison barely gets any ring time and Snooki and Trish were made to be the real stars of the match.

People started to doubt if Morrison was actually going to be a legit main eventer this year but never fear, Morrison met Cena and Miz in a steel cage match at Extreme Rules the next month. Again, Morrison put on an impressive performance but a performance that would cut him short once again at becoming the WWE champion as Cena won the title. Maybe, Morrison and Miz would feud in a strong feud and the winner gets Cena to pull off the big win and become champion.

Alas, that did not happen as Miz moved on to Alex Riley while Morrison dealt with.....R-Truth? yes, R-Truth. the recently turned heel who attacked Morrison after he took Truth's spot at the Extreme Rules match that Morrison participated in. The attack took out Morrison off TV for a long bit while Truth expanded his new momentum in a main event program with John Cena for the title at Capital Punishment. Cena, however, retained and beat R-Truth.

As Cena moved on to Punk, Morrison was brought back weeks later as Truth's mystery opponent on a RAW show. This was possibly a way that would get Morrison back into the main event mix in due time by going through R-Truth. However, before their match, Truth beat down Morrison in shreds backstage and made him to look not only weak for letting Truth get the better of him twice but also dumb for coming back when he wasn't ready and letting Truth take advantage of that. Once again, Morrison was out for a while.

Morrison would return a couple of weeks later and attack Truth. Although he got the initial pop when he returned again, the crowd wasn't fully behind him in his attack and that was something that alerted me big. The crowd just didn't seem to back Morrison since Truth has been getting the best of him for months now. It didn't help matters that Morrison was eating pins on RAW and Smackdown.

Then, Morrison and Truth had their singles match before Summerslam this year on RAW and....Truth beats him clean as it could be in five minutes. Backstage rumored situations aside, that totally killed Morrison's little momentum he had left coming back because Truth was able to beat him in convincing fashion and pretty much telling the crowd that Morrison is not better than Truth. Honestly, at that point, who could argue with that?

Morrison and Truth would have the blowoff match the next week in a Falls Count Anywhere match. Two problems with this. One, it had to take a Falls Count Anywhere match with No DQ to finally beat Truth when Truth did it clean as a whistle last week without needing any stipulations. Second, the character had been getting bitched out so many times throughout the feud that the victory, that should have propelled him back to main event contention at best, meant nothing in the end because the character had tooken so much damage that the victory didn't cure the matter in any other way. It proves that with Morrison just floating in midcard hell the weeks following.

Then we come to this week on RAW where ADR, granted was angry at NOC's result of him losing the belt, beat Morrison. Only, it was under two minutes at best. It would have been fine if Morrison lost in a competitive match but it was far from that. ADR simply made Morrison tap like a weak opponent and ADR seemed to not be phased at all in the match. I believe, right there, that WWE has finally giving up on the Morrison character being anything other than midcard talent that can put on entertaining matches but can't win the big match and never will.

So the question is....how do we fix him?

Well, here is what I would do:

1) Have Morrison wrestle one more match and he comes out to his usual entrance but Morrison is less confident and happy than usual. Have him wrestle maybe Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, etc. Morrison tries his best but once again, gets beat rather easily at the hands of the opponent. Basically, an extended version of the ADR match. Backstage afterwards, Morrison is in the locker room and HHH comes in, mixed with irritation and dissapointment. HHH says that he brought him in last time because he was for good business and yet has been a major disappointment since returning. If you really want, although not mandatory, have HHH indirectly mention people controlling him and not able to be a man when a woman controls over you. HHH tells Morrison to leave the building and don't come back to RAW until you can show that you give a damn. That's the last we see of Morrison for a while.

2) Get John Morrison off TV. I feel this has to be the next step before doing anything further. I believe the crowd is completely exhausted of the character and just don't care anymore. The Jim Morrison parkour gimmick has no more legs to walk with, especially into the main event scene. With this ADR match from RAW this monday, get Morrison off TV for a good three to four months until around the Royal Rumble. Have Morrison completely repackaged and I'm talking about the gimmick, the premise, the direction, and the properties. Keep the name, that's fine, but everything else IMO has to be revamped in order for Morrison to come back hot.

3) Have Morrison return at the Rumble. Have him draw a mid 20 number and come out with the best performance he has ever put on in his entire career. Have him be in the final four/three with Punk, Miz, and Sheamus (maybe). Morrison gets eliminated but in convincing fashion ala Miz with a cheap shot or what have you. The story is not Morrison losing the Rumble. It's Morrison outshining most of the talent that was in the ring.

4) The next night on RAW, Morrison and HHH have a segment with HHH saying that was the Morrison he wanted to see and welcomes him back. HHH makes him team with Punk, my predicted Rumble winner, take on Awesome Truth in the main event. Morrison says that "he'll show him what he's been waiting for." HHH is on their corner while Ace/Nash is on AT's corner. It starts to break down into a cluster as Nash and HHH brawl out of the match or what have you. Ace tries to help AT cheat to win but Morrison catches them and grabs the weapon......only to nail it right onto Punk! As Morrison stands above him, AT pick up the win and they, along with Morrison, completely attack Punk down to broken, bloody pieces as Morrison walks back with Ace and AT.

5) The following weeks, Morrison joins the stable of Ace, Miz, Truth, and Nash. He explains that HHH was just like us who always gave him shit, despite always putting his body out there to give the people what they wanted everytime. Morrison feels under-appreciated and that it is not fair that the Punks and the HHHs get all the spotlight and yet Morrison gets nothing in return. Before Wrestlemania, Punk and Morrison feud in which it will collide at Elimination Chamber in a singles match. Punk wins by DQ as Morrison keeps beating down Punk in the process after the match. This is a new John Morrison. A new, explicit, remorseless Morrison.

6) So then, bring in Mick Foley. Have Foley work a program with Morrison in which Foley feels that if Morrison wants to feel appreciated, if he wants people to admire him, if he wants to be made than he would have no problem facing Foley in his element. A hardcore match. Bascially, take the 2004 Orton template and apply it to Morrison even though Morrison would be less cockier than Orton back then and more hungry to be noticed and loved. Their match is at Wrestlemania 28 where Morrison picks up a grueling victory over Foley. Finally, Morrison is back in the people's eyes as a legit contender for the WWE title after defeating a legend in his own element.

Now, like I said, I couldn't care less about Morrison and if he was released, ah well. Plus, I would like Punk/HHH and Rhodes/Foley at Mania next years anyways. However, I believe that this is the most powerful way to bring Morrison back from the dead because, right now, he is on life support. Let's see where they go from here but things don't look too bright for Morrison right now.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you WANT to fix him if you can't stand him? I say push him through the door and slam it into his ass on the way out.
True, I can't stand him. However, I would think WWE will still want to keep him around as a reliable hand, however unfortunate for you and me.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
how dare u say that go play your crappy xbox! why treat such a great talent like that
Great talent my ass. Go away, kid.

True, I can't stand him. However, I would think WWE will still want to keep him around as a reliable hand, however unfortunate for you and me.
So, you think it's unfortunate that he'll be kept around.....but you give them ideas on how to make him bigger. That makes sense. :rolleyes:

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
Wow. All I can say is you've probably put more thought into Morrison's career in this post than Vince McMahon ever has in all the years of Morrison being on the roster.

Whatever they do with him, I emphatically agree with the #2 part of your plan. The audience is worn out on him, for the most part they don't believe in him as a "contendah," especially now that he looked like a weakling in the R-Truth feud and was just eaten alive like Quint by Alberto Del Rio. They should write some kind of exit for him and give him at least a respectable return. Even as I've grown increasingly cool toward him over the months, I think he deserves an actually decent return, not the outright abortion we all witnessed this past summer.

He needs... retooling. All-out repackaging? Hard to say. Maybe something more along the lines of his WWECW character from about four years ago, I could see at least being a step in the right direction.

I have to say, though, I can't see a Morrison/Foley feud in my head. Cody Rhodes/Foley, The Miz/Foley, Dolph Ziggler/Foley... And a bunch more, yes, I could see that in my head. Although, I grant that this would be a "new Morrison" taking on Foley, so perhaps my eyesight isn't 20/20.

Some good thoughts, but I can't see WWE realistically investing that much into the Morrison cause going into the heart of The Road to Wrestlemania season. Unless the man behind John Morrison, Mr. Hennigan, repackages himself first, if ya catch my drift. (Sorry, don't like using wrestlers' real names but in this instance it felt warranted.)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Let the man wrestle. Honestly, if anybody could work with Daniel Bryan's gimmick, it'd be Morrison. He can go, his babyface psychology is great, but Raw doesn't let wrestlers wrestle. He honestly should've never been moved to Raw. If he was on Smackdown, Christian, Cody, Barrett and Sin Cara could have an opponent that either compliments their style or can work with it.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, you think it's unfortunate that he'll be kept around.....but you give them ideas on how to make him bigger. That makes sense.
Again, I would think WWE (not me) would want to keep Morrison so if so, why not make the most possible best out of him? Although I am not a fan at all, at least give him some purpose if you're going to keep him.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
"I believe the crowd is completely exhausted of the character and just don't care anymore."

Completely incorrect. Do just a bit of research and you'll see he's actually quite well liked by the audience (going by this website alone won't get you anywhere). Bleachreport has him at #11 of the top 15 (http://...............com/articles/690466-wwe-power-rankings-the-miz-and-the-15-most-popular-pros-in-wrestling-right-now/page/6)

PWI has him as the #4 on raw (http://pwi-online.com/pages/ratings2.html).

You'd also be hard pressed to forget that HHH personally reintroduced him after the neck surgery.

That said, yes- his mic skills are almost as bad as Swagger. There's no avoiding that. He "disrespected Trish." Yeah. And the booking team has disrespected the entire diva's division for the past several years, not to mention the heavyweight titles.

What's really holding him back is booking and backstage politics. Booking is what promotes people who are a danger in the ring to themselves and others (Sin cara), people who couldn't even legally enter the country (ADR), people who tear their knees (Rey) and quads (Nash), and people whose movesets are so stale that a simple dropkick is lauded as a second coming (Cena).

Is Morrison the future face of the company? No. But unfair criticism isn't doing anyone any favors.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Everything you suggested, including and until the Rumble, is a very good idea. Basically, Morrison's worthless now. He has no character at all. You are right that he first needs to make an impression, have a stand-out performance to get noticed.

But then you suggest a heel turn? Morrison's moveset doesn't sway that way. Also, you want him "explicit, remorseless" and "hardcore". Does he fit that style? Do you think he can cut the appropriate promos for this kind of character? Is he too small to be viewed a threat as a heel to the various babyfaces on the roster?

===========================================

I'm going to edit in my ideas for Morrison here.

okay, let's say we follow Winning's plan, right up to where Morrison performs excellently in the Rumble. A few minor tweaks, though.

When Morrison returns from his absence, he should go back to a comfortable character: the cocky one he used when teaming with Miz, the Guru of Greatness, Shaman of Sexy and Palace of Wisdom thingy. But, tweak it a little so that he's still a face. He was pretty witty with the one-liners and whatnot, so I'm sure he can easily adapt that character. His in-ring style can stay the same, but he needs to cut more promos to connect with the audience.

Now, at the Rumble, he's going to be in the last Four, but still, he's going to have Miz raking his eyes and throwing him out. Yeah, so we're going back to Miz vs Morrison, a feud with backstory that isn't really hard to tell. Then comes the Chamber, Morrison enters the Chamber first, having a good performance, but falls to a Miz low-blow and rollup. This leads to the blowoff match at Wrestlemania, where Morrison wins.

Then draft Morrison to SmackDown. Keep him strong, as the #2 face on the brand. Give him the MITB, or, play out a long storyline where Morrison really has a quest to win the WHC, but comes up short. Let him win a battle royal or something to qualify for #1 contendership, then let him lose after fighting valiantly the whole match. Repeat once, hopefully against another champion. And at the third try, let Morrison finally win it, especially against a "monster" and more formidable heel like Mark Henry, to finally break through the glass ceiling.

Argh, can't really think more at the moment.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Ok, I read it, the unappreciated seg you decide he should deliver sounds a bit cliche seeing as we have seen it from Miz, Truth, Punk, Christian, and Henry already. Although the Foley thing sounds like something I remember from Edge/Foley for some reason, I think it would be ace. But guess what? Morrison would have to once again carry the ball after that, and that's his problem. All the things you say is easier said then done Morrison was already gone for some time, and still came back unimproved. I wanted to continue to facepalm to him when he came back, but I also wanted for him to prove me wrong and get better and more interesting, that did not happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Morrison is a easy fix. Have him vanish and come back darker and broodier, face paint and no mic, and ffs give him back the Super Kick!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Morrison reminds me of a taller Brian Kendrick. Both have the look and do the nice spots but they both come across so awkward, uncharismatic, un-natural and unconvincing on the mic. I don't mind watching their matches but I really can't stand hearing either of them talk.

I hope Morrison is a mid carder at best for the forseeable future.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Winning™;10348685 said:
Again, I would think WWE (not me) would want to keep Morrison so if so, why not make the most possible best out of him? Although I am not a fan at all, at least give him some purpose if you're going to keep him.
Yeah, if they're going to keep him, then they might as well make the most of him. That goes for anybody, but that's purely speaking from the company's standpoint. You shouldn't have employees that serve no purpose, but that's not a fans concern. If they don't make the most of him, you're supposed to be grateful they didn't waste our time. From the perspective of a fan, I don't want to see him used well and I'm not going to give them ideas if he's not. My job is to sit back and laugh, not try to help him.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
A TL;DR for me, however what they are doing with Morrison is just fine, continue jobbing the little turd out and future endeavor him the day his contract expires thanks Vince.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts