Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, read most of the thread now... for the people pissed they didn't get a conventional match, I sort of understand, but I agree with the above- having that match in front of no crowd would've been even more diabolical than Drew vs. Brock was.

That being said, those who are lambasting this but saying AJ vs Taker was some work of art: you're an idiot. I don't have a problem with either and enjoyed both, but to say this was embarrassing and ignore how utterly cheesy and ridiculous the Boneyard match was at times is blindingly hypocritical.

I thought they capitalised on the fact that the audience's expectations would be adjusted perfectly, and the door is open to another match, where some of this stuff can be re-visited in the context of an actual match, which is ideal.

They could have gone two routes: wacky stuff staged in the ring that would gradually become a bit of a clusterfuck if they did even half as much as they did in the time they had, or the ultra wacky, dream-sequence that they ended up doing. I'm glad they went full batshit crazy route: it gives me the feeling of the old days with Cena somehow, that they're playing with a full hand and could do anything with him at any time, but they've still got an ace up the sleeve even if things go the wrong way...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't posted here in years but after watching the Firefly Funhouse "match" I felt compelled to come on here and give WWE a lot of credit for actually taking a risk and trusting the intelligence of their fans. I also give credit to John Cena for being a good sport and allowing himself to utterly dissected on such a big stage.

As for Bray Wyatt, he is the reason I still watch WWE. I've been really big into AEW as of late due to better matches and wanting a viable alternative to the WWE machine. I suspended my WWE network subscription after Goldberg winning over the Fiend. I was ready to handle Fiend jobbing to Reigns, but I was downright pissed when Goldberg got the title as I felt it didn't really benefit anyone at all.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" Bravo Bray Wyatt as long as you are on, I'll keep watching.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Great write up.

I heard this in a review I watched last night after the show. They say Hell is the place where you relive all of you worst failures. And after seeing what Cena "went through", I realized this was Cena's own personal Hell reliving some of the worst and hard experiences in his career.

So I love that not only was this match was bat shit insane, it was actually thought provoking and full of history as well.
Thanks! I'm glad that you mentioned how Hell is where you relive your worst failures because one thing I didn't talk about in my writeup is that when nWo Cena is beating up Bray Wyatt (before he turns into Huskus), we see footage from his biggest losses. I can't find any meaning to recalling his losses other than that Cena is remembering them in his own personal Hell and is taking out his frustrations on Wyatt. I guess showing that Cena lets his anger get the best of him is not very characteristic of the superhero image that he portrays?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I saw this post about the Funhouse and it sums up how I feel.

"This was all about Cena’s failures or things he’s afraid of.

His debut failure
His marriage failing
His bodybuilding career failing
His fear of thinking he only got to the top because of his size and physique
His rap career not taking off
His fear of failing being a heel
His fear of hitting bray with that chair
His fear of wrestling fans hating him for destroying the nexus (when he was seen punching huskas the pig reference)
His fear of retiring

Bray beat him by using his own words against him. The minute John broke character and tried to “right the wrong” bray beat him. I thought it was tremendous, the best stuff I have ever seen from a story perspective.

What? You would’ve rather seen bray and cena lock up? Please... this was different in the best possible way."

This is how I feel about it. It was a subtle, hilarious, enormously entertaining, sometimes heartfelt and real, sometimes creepy segment that reminded me of how Mysterio or Scarecrow would attack a hero with their own insecurities. It was the best storytelling WWE has done in YEARS, and if Bray is largely to thank, then yes. He is a wrestling GENIUS.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
They should be ashamed of themselves for producing and airing this piece of shit. And Wyatt needs to be fired. This guy has been doing nonsensical stuffs for years and it seems like they always fail to bury him for real.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This "match" was the uttermost arse gravy of the worst kind to embrace the world of sports entertainment ever. I'd rather watch Alliance to End Hulkamania vs Mega Powers Doomsday Cage match 4 times instead of watching this even once.

I get that they were trying, TRYING, to tell some story but instead of being like real trained professional wrestlers and tell that in the ring by using wrestling moves, holds, attacks, etc. they decided to tell that story by means of segment that would get barely passing grade in low-rate high school drama class. Jesus Christ these anti-matches are dumb especially in the context of WrestleMania.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Regarding people in this thread calling the Funhouse Match a "dream sequence", I don't think that was what it was supposed to be. I just interpreted the Funhouse as a wacky, far out place where Bray's supernatural powers are at their strongest. As off the wall as it is to buy into Bray's powers being that strong, it's still too illogical to think that the WWE cameras can see into people's minds.

Also I haven't watched last Friday's Smackdown yet, so I don't know if they officially called it a dream sequence. But I doubt they did.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts