Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just watched cena v rvd at one night stand.....epic.
i was hoping someone could tell me the backstory of this as i had taken a break from watching wrestling around then , i know i could check wikipedia but id prefer to hear it from some fans.
were they booing cena because of the whole supecena thing or because it was the las ever ecw ppv? ............ have no idea

·
STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,092 Posts
They were just generally booing Cena because it was an ECW setting and they adored Van Dam.

There were signs saying things like: "If Cena wins we riot."

He threw his hat or armband or whatever at the crowd about 4 times and everytime they threw it back to him. The match was well built as well which improved the heat from the crowd on the night. I hated Cena at this point and loved every minute of it.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
ECW fans are the dumbest fans alive. First of all, they boo Cena and scream you cant wrestle at him, yet in the same event they cheered like crazy for the Sandman. Then whenever Cena does a move they yell "same old shit" when RVD has not done a new move in ten years.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
ECW fans are the dumbest fans alive. First of all, they boo Cena and scream you cant wrestle at him, yet in the same event they cheered like crazy for the Sandman. Then whenever Cena does a move they yell "same old shit" when RVD has not done a new move in ten years.
LOL it's so true.

...but it doesn't even matter because that match and that crowd was one of the most incredible things I had ever watched in pro wrestling.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I loved that match, not only Cena lsot the Title but he was booed out of the bulding in them ost hostile environemtn I have ever seen as Wrestling fan.

Cena is the first ever babyface to become champion and get criticised but I large portion of the fans, no wonder WWE went PG to protect their golden boy even more than they have already been doing for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I understand your points but in my opinion it is a little different with cena.He barley ever loses and he seems to be always in the spotlight.I can't entirely put the blame on him either,you think about the audience the wwe is targeting and the money he is bringing in then you understand the concept of supercena.I was never a fan of sandman either,I just think ecw fans loved his entrance and hardcore cane swinging but the only reason I was happy when sandman was on tv because I knew it is was a matter of time before rhino ruined his day.I know rvd hasn't done a new move in ages but I think ecw fans appreciate creativity.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Brilliant. 100% spot on.

And the funniest part of all? Cena had every single guy in that audience in the palm of his hand. He knew how push them and make them even crazier and angrier.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
My favorite part of that PPV is JBL coming out to shit on the ECW fans for about 5 min. I miss JBL promos.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There were signs saying things like: "If Cena wins we riot."
Man I love that sign, I'm kinda surprised on like it was never seen again.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,360 Posts
I remember it and I loved it. Say what you want about the ECW fans but they are trully loyal to the ECW product. John Cena getting booed was priceless, but the reason he got booed I think was 50% because ECW fans just hated on WWE wrestlers as opposed to ECW wrestlers, who they treated like heros. They also booed like hell at Big Show and Batista as well. The other 50% I would say Cena got booed was basically because it was around the time Cena was being shoved down everyone throat and people were sick of him. The fact that ECW fans are quite like the IWC, as they are smarks, make it even more understandable because like the IWC, ECW fans would have hated the shitty product WWE was turning out and the poster boy for the product John Cena.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
They cheered for Sandman like crazy bcuz he's their franchise and has 10x more charisma than John Cena.

·
I live in a pineapple....under the sea.
530 Posts
one night stand was a comeback thing for ECW, and the fans pretty much wanted it to be all ECW......they didnt really want anything for it to do with WWE....because we all know WWE=PG

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
The main thing about the match was that it was an ECW crowd that hated WWE and having Cena(a guy who many didn't like already) in a match against RVD(ecw guy infront of ecw crowd) would equal real hostile environment for Cena.

Just like if we were to have a WWE vs TNA show inside the impact zone, the fans would be booing wwe guys like crazy.

ONS isn't why WWE went PG, but for me the last real big thing WWE did before going PG was the 15th anniversary show(it seemed almost like a tribute to the attitude era type show in terms of who we saw at the show).

But ONS was more 18+ than 14+ if you listened to some of the promos.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They would've boo'd any non-Original ECW wrestler.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
One thing people haven't pointed out that I feel is pretty significant. RVD got the title shot by cashing in Money in the Bank.

Also, personally I feel that John Cena is a better in-ring performer than RVD. *shrug*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts