Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
1,562 Posts
So now we can't praise a performance without being a mark?

Majority of Shawn's rumble performances were hanging on. I was ringside for 07 rumble and while taker/Shawn bit was great it's not the same. Austin was great in 97 rumble but again booked as sly fucker not dominant, later rumbles he was very kicky punchy because his body was failing him.

Brock did a fucking flying leap over big e like 20 minutes into rumble. Truly incredible performance.

I never said this rumbles makes Brock best ever, some of you take this stuff too seriously. How do you define best ever anyway, its pro wrestling so pretty much impossible to decide.
Flips, Dives, SuperKicks, Movez etc.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Best ever is over-stating it a little, but Brock's definitely one of the best. He was an absolute prodigy that immediately "got" pro wrestling and killed it from 2002-2004. Then in 2012, he came back, with a different character/style/aura and has had several classics.

He's had a few duds, too, and I know many hate the whole "Suplex City" gimmick. If you're one of those people that really have a strong, burning hate for Brock, I want you to try and put it to the side and consider the following:

Has Brock Lesnar ever had a bad match when he's not phoning it in? We all plainly see the times he's motivated and the times he's not. When he has his working boots on, has the match ever sucked? I don't think there's a case of that.
As someone who has that burning hate towards Brock you are referring to....yeah fucking spot on.

One of the best is probably stretching it just cause of how many phenomenal workers have been a part of wrestling but he is genuinely a fantastic worker when he doesn't phone it in. I still hate him because of the times he does phone it in, not a fan of that style of wrestling even though he is clearly fantastic at it it's just not my thing and him only actually showing a personality that interests me on very rare occasions which is the real killer for me. But I will never trash him as a worker cause that would just be asinine the guy can work so god damn well when he wants and has had a good amount of genuinely fantastic matches since he's come back including one against fucking goldberg of all people this decade. My biggest wish is that he was more consistent about actually wanting to in the first place.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,197 Posts
Brock reminds me of a basketball player who has two 40 point games a year but averages less than ten for the season.

He can be fantastic when he wants to but he usually just phones it in.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
So now we can't praise a performance without being a mark?

Majority of Shawn's rumble performances were hanging on. I was ringside for 07 rumble and while taker/Shawn bit was great it's not the same. Austin was great in 97 rumble but again booked as sly fucker not dominant, later rumbles he was very kicky punchy because his body was failing him.

Brock did a fucking flying leap over big e like 20 minutes into rumble. Truly incredible performance.

I never said this rumbles makes Brock best ever, some of you take this stuff too seriously. How do you define best ever anyway, its pro wrestling so pretty much impossible to decide.
You're claiming you're not marking for this guy after saying that! What do you call it then? So you either do or don't agree with this dumbass Cena here making such a statement, yea or nay? Don't even mention Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin's Rumble moments in the same vein as Brock Lesnar's. They busted their ass! Brock did nothing but walk around like a bulked up monkey letting the competitors do most of his work!

Then for some reason you even threw Okada and Bruno in there as if they couldn't "put on a better Rumble performance", WTF? That's the most extremely dumb idea I've ever read in this forum. Everybody reading this discussion right now, can any of you actually envision with a straight face that Okada, just Okada out of all these names if he worked for WWE and was in a Rumble, couldn't top that lazy line 'em up until I get my balls kicked in by Ricochet job day that Brock put out?

If that's really the case, you guys have been watching this and all of Brock's bullshit too long because that was one of the worst BS performances in Royal Rumble history. You couldn't lower the bar any further without touching your toes and taking it up the ass. You dare even say he tops Shawn Michaels? Shawn Michaels has 2 of the best performances of Rumbles to date, why's that? Because his performances showed adversity. Of course he was hanging on! The whole point is to hang on until you win! His performances were him giving every last breath, sweat and tears until he looked like he'd drop dead any moment to toss guys out to the last man and outlast everyone.

This Brock performance was to just make everyone kiss his feet and hand him record elimination numbers on a silver platter. Oh yeah, he really had to work hard for that one, didn't he? He took a couple bumps and broke a sweat by no. 13, THAT WAS ALL.

All the guys that he was allowed to shit on, Kofi, Braun, Keith Lee, John Morrison, Shinsuke and more, could have put on a better performance than him. A half-hour of Lesnar and his gorilla walk in between countdowns, while he lobs stars big and small out like potato sacks isn't any spectacular performance whatsoever, it's just the biggest blatant display of overscaled favoritism shown to date on one pro wrestler over everyone else.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Best of big men? probably but overall best of all time?
Shawn is, Bret is also up there and there are a lot more guys that IMO are technically better than him (I would put Orton up there too).

Idk what u guys smoking but his performance wasn't that impressive at all. He was booked like he always is and the people he eliminated looked like bums. He sold Drew's claymore well but that's his job. The rumble didn't give him his monster aura, him getting booked to dominate Cena, Orton, etc gave him the monster aura.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sacrificing the entire roster again and again to get to this. I wasn't into him in 2002, not 2012 and not today. Sure he has been in some good matches but I mean I see way more bad then good from him being on the roster.

Winded Brock throwing people out in seconds and making the roster look like bigger shit than it is. It was great seeing Brock get tossed by someone not Roman, Seth or Goldie. Most will remember Edge's return over Brock's early dominance when people look back at this years down the line.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I can really only echo things others have said. Brock is a great wrestler, but the evidence for that is very rarely seen.

Much of the time, he strolls to the ring, is sweating like a bastard before the bell is even rung, and is gasping for air the whole match ... while he delivers half a dozen suplexes and an F5, then goes home and cashes his cheque which is as much as half the roster made all together on the same show.

I can't make that much of a big deal about the bigger paycheque, because if the guy sells tickets, then he gets to dictate his price. But to claim that he is the best worker there has ever been, when most of his matches are boring suplex-fests, is just patently ridiculous.

Is he CAPABLE of being the best of all time? Hell yes. But he doesn't deliver. He only puts in the effort when he thinks he will.

Can you imagine if you went to a Guns N Roses gig because you're a huge Slash fan, and the whole gig, he only played chords and didn't give you a single solo until the last 30 seconds of the last tune? That's your average Brock performance. A genius guitarist bashing out "Wonderwall" every night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Strong words from John Cena I have to admit. Brock Lesnar is my all-time number 1 favourite wrestler but he is not the best of all time. He is definitely one of the best of all time. But the greatest in-ring performer in history is either Bret Hart, Mr Perfect or Chris Benoit.

Brock Lesnar is the best seller, storyteller and in-ring psychologist this business has seen in recent 15 years though. He just understands his character and how that character is supposed to be presented and sold to the regular sports entertainment consuming people. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan share the second silver medalist spot. But Brock is gold, in context of recent history, Cena is the bronze.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You're claiming you're not marking for this guy after saying that! What do you call it then? So you either do or don't agree with this dumbass Cena here making such a statement, yea or nay? Don't even mention Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin's Rumble moments in the same vein as Brock Lesnar's. They busted their ass! Brock did nothing but walk around like a bulked up monkey letting the competitors do most of his work!

Then for some reason you even threw Okada and Bruno in there as if they couldn't "put on a better Rumble performance", WTF? That's the most extremely dumb idea I've ever read in this forum. Everybody reading this discussion right now, can any of you actually envision with a straight face that Okada, just Okada out of all these names if he worked for WWE and was in a Rumble, couldn't top that lazy line 'em up until I get my balls kicked in by Ricochet job day that Brock put out?

If that's really the case, you guys have been watching this and all of Brock's bullshit too long because that was one of the worst BS performances in Royal Rumble history. You couldn't lower the bar any further without touching your toes and taking it up the ass. You dare even say he tops Shawn Michaels? Shawn Michaels has 2 of the best performances of Rumbles to date, why's that? Because his performances showed adversity. Of course he was hanging on! The whole point is to hang on until you win! His performances were him giving every last breath, sweat and tears until he looked like he'd drop dead any moment to toss guys out to the last man and outlast everyone.

This Brock performance was to just make everyone kiss his feet and hand him record elimination numbers on a silver platter. Oh yeah, he really had to work hard for that one, didn't he? He took a couple bumps and broke a sweat by no. 13, THAT WAS ALL.

All the guys that he was allowed to shit on, Kofi, Braun, Keith Lee, John Morrison, Shinsuke and more, could have put on a better performance than him. A half-hour of Lesnar and his gorilla walk in between countdowns, while he lobs stars big and small out like potato sacks isn't any spectacular performance whatsoever, it's just the biggest blatant display of overscaled favoritism shown to date on one pro wrestler over everyone else.
Brock made Drew a star in 30 mins. Shawn couldn't dream of doing that

·
Registered
574 Posts
Lesnar is definitely one of the all time best wrestlers, guy knows how to get people invested int the match and will bump and sell the fuck out of his opponents moves. His match with Styles made it look like AJ was gonna tear his calf off with how well he sold it. Yeah he doesn't show up much but that's just his contract, he can't show up more than he's obligated to.

·
Registered
929 Posts
First of all wtf happened to this forum, it looks retarded now? I like old look.

Now about Brock. I am not fan of guy AT ALL. In fact I think he single handedly killed WWE. His boring matches, 2 moves per match, squashing/burying everyone left and right completely killed WWE. It made me stop watching it completely.

I decided to watch Rumble, it's my fav type of match (with MITB being close second) and what do I see? Fucking Brock Lesnar burying half of roster for no fucking reason. Without a doubt worst Rumble I've ever watched. If people could get off his nuts they would see they sacrificed like what it was 13 guys to him for no fucking reason. This could've been done differently easily. Brock (he didnt even need to be in Rumble but lets say they for some reason put him in) enters at some high number, like 20+, rushes to the ring, eliminates Orton, Reigns, Edge (to get some heat), lets say, some big names, and lays down everyone in ring, out comes McIntyre who eliminates Brock in convincing way.

Brock didn't make Drew look like a star, Brock made Brock look like a star by burying half of roster, and then getting low blowed so Drew can eliminate him. Drew didn't look cool or good, he just used opportunity to eliminate Brock who was low blowed. They protected Brock once again. Can this fucking guy ever put anyone over?

Now let's talk about young Brock, his first run, without a doubt one of best, say what you want, but guy is built like a fucking house, going on top rope, flying around, with speed of cruiserweights, lifting giants, etc. That is Brock Lesnar. He was one of best at that time. I often rewatch old clips, and many times find myself watching that feud and segments of Lesnar and Angle, Lesnar was fucking hilarious.

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
If he he was in ring more often then we could form an opinion. In all seriousness Lesnar's not close to being the best in ring performer ever.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts