Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jinder Mahal Discussion Thread

It has been said countless times before that WWE is a business, and like any other big company money is its primary concern. Some might not realise this, but Mahal has serious moneymaking potential.

Outside of America, India is one of WWE’s biggest markets. The existing deal WWE has with its Indian cable provider is WWE’s second-largest television deal. This coupled with the vast scope of potential fans within the country's huge populace is an opportunity WWE will not pass up. The new head office opened in Mumbai very recently speaks volumes in regards to the company's intent to spread its product and the potential profit to be made.

This is where Jinder Mahal finds his way into the equation.

Jinder is Canadian-born and of Indian descent. Having seen him in FCW, it is clear he has in-ring potential whilst there is room for improvement, and he has the size and look that Vince McMahon loves. His recent promos on SmackDown demonstrated his ability to cut a good promo, and for someone this young (27) he just screams potential. Most importantly, he can speak both Punjabi and English.

The Great Khali is incomprehensible on the mic and not exactly a marvel in the ring, but the star power he holds in India is astronomical. Jinder Mahal could reach the audience in ways Khali never could. He can cut promos in two languages, appealing to both the WWE mainstream audience and viewers in India; this coupled with his size and in-ring ability could lift him to megastardom.

Mahal could bridge the gap between the two continents and build a fanbase in India that greatly surpasses The Great Khali’s and reel in the cash for the company. To spread the product to India, WWE needs a main event star that the audience can relate to and cheer for. Jinder Mahal is that star.

In a time where WWE needs to both grow and build new talent, pushing Jinder Mahal to the main event scene could kill two birds with one stone. But the WWE has foolishly booked him as a weak jobber as of late.

WWE knows what it has with Jinder; time will tell whether Jinder picks up the ball and runs with it or goes the way of Muhammad Hassan.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I say have him be the new Muhammad Hassan for a while but have him use a dark promo style that would mirror Jake the Snakes, Have him heel for a few months then turn him face where he can be Mr. Bollywood and India's version of The Rock.

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know why the WWE doesnt make Jinder use his wealth to do heelish things like paying referees to count it quick or pay his opponents to lose, to lure the divas, etc etc. There are tons of interesting things which can be done with his gimmick.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
As with most young guys who get brought up and then forgotten about, Jinder's ring work has improved a lot. He's still rather one dimensional, since he relies rather heavily on knee strikes, but at least his one dimension is different than what most of the roster is doing.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
The problem with Mahal is that they've stuck him with another generic angry foreigner gimmick, who hates America, loves his own country etc. Mr. Bollywood or something would be much more refreshing.

·
Administrator
59,291 Posts
The reason why Hussan worked was because America still had a strong sensitivity toward Middle Eastern people in the height of the Iraq wars. So it was easy to get his character over.

Nowdays, that sensitivity is gone. People don't give a shit about them. Likewise they don't give a shit about Mahal.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The reason why Hussan worked was because America still had a strong sensitivity toward Middle Eastern people in the height of the Iraq wars. So it was easy to get his character over.

Nowdays, that sensitivity is gone. People don't give a shit about them. Likewise they don't give a shit about Mahal.
Mahal triggers loud "USA" chants pretty much every time he appears. As easy as the gimmick is, it works.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts

Plus they can't/aren't as extreme with Mahal as they were Hassan. There was sort of a shock factor with what Hassan would say when he came out.

·
Administrator
59,291 Posts
Plus they can't/aren't as extreme with Mahal as they were Hassan. There was sort of a shock factor with what Hassan would say when he came out.
Very true. I remember they did the angle where five masked terrorists destroyed Taker, then carried Hussan away like a martyr. Shit hit the fan because the London bombings happened at the same exact time. This resulted in UPN banning him from Smackdown, then banning him altogether. Then that led to Taker killing him off at the Great American Bash.

No way would WWE do something like that now.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't get the whole thing where apparently I'm not supposed to be able to identify with someone unless they share my racial or national background. What the hell is that about? I get that it's clearly easier to get behind someone when they speak the language. Clearly. But I fail to see why it has to be about race or national identity.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't get the whole thing where apparently I'm not supposed to be able to identify with someone unless they share my racial or national background. What the hell is that about? I get that it's clearly easier to get behind someone when they speak the language. Clearly. But I fail to see why it has to be about race or national identity.
I've never got that either, if you are a certain colour do you have to have a role model of the same colour? nope.

Also to the people saying give him a Hassan type gimmick... quit your ignorance.

Its no wonder other races say white people are ignorant when people come up with this type of crap all the time.

Isnt the guy Canadian anyway? Couldn't he just be a Canadian with no reference to the fact that he has Asian ancestry (actually thats probably not a good idea, it might blow people's minds to much).

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've never got that either, if you are a certain colour do you have to have a role model of the same colour? nope.

Also to the people saying give him a Hassan type gimmick... quit your ignorance.

Its no wonder other races say white people are ignorant when people come up with this type of crap all the time.

Isnt the guy Canadian anyway? Couldn't he just be a Canadian with no reference to the fact that he has Asian ancestry (actually thats probably not a good idea, it might blow people's minds to much).
Exactly. Just seems like when the WWE have a wrestler on their hands from an Asian or middle eastern background, they must have a gimmick that plays this up. Is fucking ridiculous. Seems they feel it necessary to do the same with Latino or Hispanic wrestlers too.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Start with changing the gimmick. No one gives a shit about the angry foreigner bit any more and he has zero original promo content. I'm not a fan of the guy at all, but maybe if they gave him something better to work with, he can be able to show more of the potential OP says he has.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts