Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Archer was the first choice as Jericho's bounty hunter which then became Cobb, so maybe he's not coming in after all.

·
Registered
20,042 Posts
If they can get Cobb and Cage they're good. All they need to do then is let the big guys be their own man and not be bodyguards.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Hager isn't that good and is recognizable as a washed-up WWE failure. Do we even know how good Wardlow is? Cobb is probably going to beaten out the gate unless they do two angle matches on the one show.

They really only have a few moves when it comes to booking. Big guys = bodyguards because the bookers remember Big Bubba Rogers and Diesel.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The problem is that not one of those 4 have actually signed a contract with AEW, maybe Cage did but hasn’t been confirmed.
Brodie Lee has appeared to at least verbally agreed. With Meltzer saying the plan is for him to debut on March 18th show. Cage is hurt so it might be a while before he debuts. We see about Archer. Don't be surprised if they have big surprise saved for Revolution.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Brodie Lee has appeared to at least verbally agreed. With Meltzer saying the plan is for him to debut on March 18th show. Cage is hurt so it might be a while before he debuts. We see about Archer. Don't be surprised if they have big surprise saved for Revolution.
Marty Scurll verbally agreed to be the leader of The Dark Order but then got an ROH offer. Brodie Lee was planning to go to AEW the moment he asked for his WWE release and Meltzer is clinging to that, but things have changed tremendously since then.

None of these guys (Archer, Lee, Cage) are a "surprise" at this point either. A surprise is something that you don't see coming. Every man and his dog is speculating that Lee, Cage or Archer is going to attack Moxley at some point.

The thing I will be surprised about is that AEW managed to sign someone that has been under WWE contract before.

·
NO SPIN ZONE
616 Posts
The only person of those mentioned that would move the needle for me would be Scurll.

And its a bummer that won't be happening.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I'm confident they will end up with at least two of Brodie Lee, Brian Cage and Lance Archer. We will see if Cobb decides to stick around long term at some point.

Adding athletic big men makes ton of sense. Because it creates great story telling matches having these guys face off against Moxley, Omega, Cody and Page. So adding a few big guys will happen. It's not if it's when will they show up at this point.

Matt Hardy is a free agent that makes me curious. He's a big known name in wrestling. Who could give the ratings a boost. Like they did on Raw this week with his segment with Orton. But he's also 45 and not a big star either. So they might feel they have enough guys 5-10 to 6 feet tall. So they might not have room for him. Since he could take time away from a Sammy Guevara or Joey Janela,Jungle Boy or Kip Sabian. I know people don't care about someone like Janela. But he's signed long term. So he's not going anywhere. His role appears to be on Dark or job on Dynamite tho.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Does AEW have a wellness policy? If not just ask their 200 lb guys to bulk up to 250 Lb monsters. Sounds stupid but a proper usage of steroids never killed anyone. Only abuse did. Leo Kruger is a great example of how to use steroid properly to become a monster

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
They might be eyeing Alexander Hammerstone, Moose, Kevin Matthews, Chris Masters, Marshall Von Erich, and Cage. Could you imagine the legacy a Von Erich could bring to AEW?. I don't know the details of these guys' contract but I know Cage, Masters, KM are free agents. Moose, Marshall, Cage i'd say should be the top targets. Looks like AEW is trying to create a legit heavyweight division with the possibility of a Heavyweight title, and not just the old bodyguard type. Moose, Cage, Masters still have a few years left in them, but Marshall Von Erich could be a long term prize.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
I'd bring Masters in as Spears' full time tag partner. Hammerstone still sounds like he wants WWE. Moose seems Impact for life. Anybody who hasn't made bank yet will find it impossible to turn down wwe's offer. They fired their Presidents because they were against signing everybody and paying everybody. That's how committed Vince is to this strategy. So only guys AEW will get are those who've made WWE money already and are looking to get away from that grinder, or guys who have decided they never want wwe. I have a feeling Archer is heading to a WWE payday.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts