Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wrestlingnews.co/jim-ross-on-the-main-event-of-fastlane-and-pat-pattersons-autobiography/

"WWE NEWS Jim Ross On The Main Event Of Fastlane And Pat Patterson’s Autobiography
ByAndrew RavensPosted on February 4, 2016 jim ross

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross has posted a new blog entry over at his website where he gives his thoughts on various topics. Here are the highlights.

On smaller wrestlers not drawing:

Anyone who thinks that talents like AJ Styles are too small to draw big money are fooling themselves and are truly living in the enhanced 80’s. Or, they’ve never had their ass whipped by a smaller guy especially amateur wrestlers who are under 200 pounds. Stars are not judged by pounds and inches but by talent, charisma and athleticism.

On the main event of Fastlane (Roman Reigns vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Brock Lesnar):

With three fan favorites in the main event of Fast Lane it’s obvious that at least one of them will be booed. Might be a long night in the uniquely booked match involving Reigns, Lesnar and Ambrose. Feels like it will be a challenging night for Mr Reigns. It’s baffling that Roman isn’t cast as a villain but you already knew that, right?"

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Three Fan favorites?

:swaggerwhat

JR finding excuses before the PPV why Reigns will be booed?

:costanza2

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
On the Ross Report, JR also said:

"I think WWE is kinda flirting with potential disaster as it relates to the TV persona and the ongoing development of Roman Reigns by booking him in a triple threat match at Fast Lane versus Brock Lesnar and Dean Ambrose, who are both very solid fan favourites."

"If anyone thinks that Roman Reigns isn't going to get booed come Fast Lane... then you are drinking too much of the bong water."

·
Banned
14,424 Posts
I like how Roman is supposed to be "the top face" yet they can't book him in matches with people who are remotely popular, since they know he's getting booed if they do :lol And then the alternative is putting him with guys like Sheamus, who nobody cares about at all, leading to crickets during the matches. It's lose-lose in regards to Roman.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ross is just calling it as it is. Even he can't sugar coat the fact that WWE are driving down a cul-de-sac with RR as a face. It is so bloody obvious. The heel turn for Ambrose is destined to fail.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Ross is just calling it as it is. Even he can't sugar coat the fact that WWE are driving down a cul-de-sac with RR as a face. It is so bloody obvious. The heel turn for Ambrose is destined to fail.
Really, fail? Because what, he's gonna get potentially cheered against Roman( like it's an accomplishment)? Will he get cheered against Ziggler/ Aj/Zayn/Cesaro/Rollins/Orton etc?
Anyway There has been plenty of heels getting cheered, won't be the first or the last.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Smaller wrestlers can't draw. Of course. Explains why Bryan wasn't popular at all. :side:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
"Or, they’ve never had their ass whipped by a smaller guy especially amateur wrestlers who are under 200 pounds."

His statement is a bit off. A 300 lb professionally trained athlete in a certain discipline is going to destroy a 200 lb professionally trained athlete in the same discipline. Just 20 lbs is a monumental size disparity.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I mean UFC's biggest draw is Connor McGregor and he weighs like 165 pds.

This "small guys don't draw" Bullshit is as archaic as Vince's ideas on what a draw really is.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I mean UFC's biggest draw is Connor McGregor and he weighs like 165 pds.

This "small guys don't draw" Bullshit is as archaic as Vince's ideas on what a draw really is.
Vince is a product of the 80's where the musclebound action hero was at it's height with Schwarzenegger and Stallone etc, he's still there.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,746 Posts
On the Ross Report, JR also said:

"I think WWE is kinda flirting with potential disaster as it relates to the TV persona and the ongoing development of Roman Reigns by booking him in a triple threat match at Fast Lane versus Brock Lesnar and Dean Ambrose, who are both very solid fan favourites."

"If anyone thinks that Roman Reigns isn't going to get booed come Fast Lane... then you are drinking too much of the bong water."
So basically JR has revealed on his latest podcast that Vince McMahon, in fact, drinks bong water :draper2

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you also look at it from another perspective, all their big guys beside Brock suck.

Roman Reigns
Big Show
Erick Rowan
Braun Strawman

Luke Harper is good but at this point he's an afterthought.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Maybe but they have shown that they will pay to see smaller fighters in boxing and MMA so there is no reason why they would not in the WWE where they can control everywhere and the crowd already know it's a fake fight so why does the size matter.
Your argument is totally off base. As a big boxing fan Mayweather didn't start getting recognized in the public until he adapted his Money Mayweather persona. He is one of the most skillfull boxers of all time and most find him boring because he is a defensive first fighter. The only reason Mayweather is a big draw is because of his persona and people really want to pay to see him lose which won't happen because he is that damn good. Now maybe if these smaller indy guys adpoted a personality like Mayweather has shown to draw mainstream attention they would be a draw too instead of worrying about crazy spots and 5 star matches which don't draw to the causals like Mayweather has.

Another example of a small skillful boxer is Tim Bradly but the causal fans do like care about him because his personality is dry and he is not a PPV draw because of it. Me personally I have no problem with small wrestlers long as they entertain me. Some of my all time favorites that are small are Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Shane Douglas, Mr. Perfect, Jericho, Raven, Benoit I can go on and on. However the difference between those guys I just named compared to these small Indy guys many praise of this forum is to go along with good work rate those guys also have a character and go mic skills besides Benoit to get the crowd to invest.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts