Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AEW All Out was viewed by many in the wrestling world as one of the best wrestling pay-per-views of the last decade.

On top of the great wrestling matches on the show were several debuts in AEW, including Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, and Ruby Soho. AEW Commentator Jim Ross spoke about the event on the latest episode of the Grilling JR Podcast, stating that he believed he and his broadcast team did a great job calling the event. The voice of AEW also stated that the event might have been the best pay-per-view of all time.

“I thought our call at All Out was really strong,” Ross said. “I really loved our work and the skill of Excalibur and Tony, I thought we nailed it really well. People have to understand how hard it is for a three man booth to co-exist without walking all over each other and not listening. You disconnected the dots enough because you weren’t listening to what the guy said. I thought we had a really good night.

“I don’t know if it’s the best pay-per-view ever, because I don’t know how you judge those things. If your opinion says that All Out was the best pay-per-view you ever saw, then that’s your opinion and you have the right to it. The only pay-per-view that I had more fun, exhilarating, just really full of emotion and the feels were there — I’ve done a lot of great shows, but I think WrestleMania 17 was the closest thing that came to me for the emotional investment of that broadcast. It means I had a hell of a good time, I thought the show was excellent, well booked. Tony Khan is a good booker. Sometimes somebody’s got to realize he’s really, really smart.”

Ross continued to talk about how Tony Khan signed three new stars in AEW, and how much he loves the signing of Adam Cole in particular. After spending decades calling wrestling matches across multiple different companies, Ross has received criticism for mistakenly calling the AEW Championship “the WWE Championship”. He also referred to Paul Wight as “The Big Show”. JR mentioned how he’ll probably end up calling Bryan Danielson by his WWE in-ring name, Daniel Bryan, at some point.

“The guys that Tony has brought in can work,” Ross said. “They’re big time in-ring performers. I love Adam Cole’s work. I think he’s absolutely excellent and one of the best in the world, without question.

“We helped Daniel Bryan, Bryan Danielson, I’ll f*** that up too probably [on commentary]. When we go out there we don’t have que cards, teleprompter, it’s just us with no net, improvising. I know it will never slip by anybody because there’s always going to be three or four people who are going to tweet me that I screwed it up. How I can miss identifying Paul Wight as the Big Show and how that ruins your show, I don’t know what to make of that.”
Article

·
Premium Member
The King Of Rants
11,287 Posts
I feel like this is kind of AEW fans overrating things once again and JR just going with it to be a team player. WrestleMania 17 is considered one of the greatest PPV's of all time so of course AEW's offering has to be just as good after just 2 years in business.

For what its worth I always felt that XIX was better than X-7 anyway.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It was a 9/10 show.

I remember WM18 more fondly than WM17 on the back of rock v hogan. The biggest spectacle in wrestling since Andre V Hogan. One match can define a ppv.

I would rather one 15/10 match and the rest 5 /10 rather than a card full of 9/10

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's hard to make these comparisons largely because WWE produce over 12+ PPVs a year and the majority are good so it's difficult to recall them all.

In terms of recent Wrestle Mania comparisons, I personally preferred the pay off to WM30 and the multiple big moments at WM35 to the All Out PPV. I even understand grounds for people preferring WM31, WM36 and WM37 too. WWE lives for the big moments as opposed to weekly story telling so there's no shame in agreeing they can do the big things a lot better.

·
Registered
16,192 Posts
I feel like this is kind of AEW fans overrating things once again and JR just going with it to be a team player. WrestleMania 17 is considered one of the greatest PPV's of all time so of course AEW's offering has to be just as good after just 2 years in business.

For what its worth I always felt that XIX was better than X-7 anyway.
’when they agree with me its the truth, when they disagree with me they are lying or playing a part’

the ethos of the critic :D

just read it again mate - he’s talking about his own experience

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,069 Posts
I'm not going to tell the man how to feel. He didn't say All Out was as good as Mania 17, but he said that was the last time he was THIS emotionally invested in wrestling. I'm laughing at him preparing to fuck up all the names though.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I'm not going to tell the man how to feel. He didn't say All Out was as good as Mania 17, but he said that was the last time he was THIS emotionally invested in wrestling. I'm laughing at him preparing to fuck up all the names though.
Him messing up names and knowing that he is going to doesn’t bother me one bit. In the media scrum, even TK himself messed up and said Ruby Riot.

But I standby my belief that JR can NOT allow himself to accidentally call it WWE. That can NOT happen for a young company looking to eat into the WWE’s stranglehold on the market.

Reactions: Michael Myers 1991

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The title is misleading tho. He isn't comparing anything at all. This is why we can't have nice things. He said he was emotionally invested in All Out and that WM17 was the only PPV to top that investment. It's his personal opinion on how he felt about commentating ffs.

WM17 is probably the best PPV ever and All Out is not close but stop twisting words.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As others have said, he is just comparing his emotional experience and connection to the shows. Granted, I am not shocked to see the first few comments in this thread overreacted before reading what he said.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I listened to the podcast a couple of days ago and JR was definitely comparing the emotion and occasion of the two shows rather than the quality of the matches.

Same trolls who enjoyed JR putting Orton over Omega can't now accuse him of shilling. I think he's genuine when he says Punk's debut rekindled his love for pro wrestling as well.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
We will always look at the past with rose tinted spectacles.
Both shows had their highs. Both shows had their lows. The lows of Wm17 were lower than All out. The highs of WM17 were higher than All Out.

We should readdress the comparison in 15 years. I think WM will be remembered more, unless All Out becomes AEWs kick start to mainstream - highly unlikely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts