Wrestling Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1592 Posts

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
Interesting how Brian Last keeps talking about a rift between Cody and the rest of the Elite. And they brought up an interesting point; Cody works with Cody´s friends.. Brian knows something he´s not telling.
They talk to people within the company. Not everybody is drinking the kool-aid there. A lot of people would rather their profession be treated with a bit more sincerity.

A lot of what Cody said very early on has made him look like a liar. That’s coming from some sort of internal push-back against his ideas. Omega and The Bucks seem like they would have each other’s backs, philosophically, and they have known each other longer. One of them has a wife in the company too. Politically, I think they are a much stronger unit.

That’s all much more interesting than anything going on the actual television program, haha.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They talk to people within the company. Not everybody is drinking the kool-aid there. A lot of people would rather their profession be treated with a bit more sincerity.

A lot of what Cody said very early on has made him look like a liar. That’s coming from some sort of internal push-back against his ideas. Omega and The Bucks seem like they would have each other’s backs, philosophically, and they have known each other longer. One of them has a wife in the company too. Politically, I think they are a much stronger unit.

That’s all much more interesting than anything going on the actual television program, haha.
I've said for a long time it feels like two shows sharing one time slot, and I guess it's more obvious now that the split is the Elite booked stuff vs the Cody booked stuff. They have totally different feels in terms of content (though both groups suffer from turning matches that should be 2 to 5 minutes to 15+).

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the start, I always thought it was just a matter of time until the in-fighting started in AEW. Almost every promotion or promoter ever has put their friends and family members in positions of power within their promotion and AEW has 5 people doing that at the same time with the Bucks, Omega, Cody and Brandi plus Jericho. It's just a matter of time until someone's friend or family member gets into it with someone else's friend or family member or has to be let go and causes an all-out civil war.

It seems like the factions are:

Cody and Brandi - Red Velvet, Arn and Arn's son, Jade, Dustin Rhodes, QT, Scorpio Sky and all of the Nightmare Factory students

Kenny - Callis, Shida, Riho, Nakazawa and Nyla Rose

The Young Bucks - Cutler, most of the Dark Order members, Best Friends, SCU, Excalibur and Top Flight

Jericho - Luther

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
I can see a major political disruption happening in the early months of 2022, if not sooner. Depending on what Jericho does. A lot of people expect him to go back to the WWE, but if he loves his freedom in AEW, but wants a larger slice of stardom, him going into business for himself would not surprise me. Especially because JR would be available as a top executive.

Remember how this thing came about and the initial rumours were about Jericho and JR having more official powers? It was those guys who would say that all you needed to compete with Vince — properly compete — was money. There’s got to be some measure of disappointment with how this has turned.

All Jericho would need is a backer. A Rick Rubin to his Jim Cornette. Someone that would have faith that Jericho and JR, for example, would be able to generate enough in rights fees to justify the investment. Hey, didn’t Steve Austin mention something about a giant international backer?

Let’s say Jericho leaves, takes JR, strikes up a deal with New Japan of America to feature a lot of their guys, so there’s access to a younger talent pool to compliment Jericho and whoever he can convince to sign up top. It wouldn’t surprise me if Kenny Omega and Don Callis, maybe even The Young Bucks, jumped for a slice of that pie. That leaves Cody and TK with their dicks in their hands. OR, they stay in AEW, use their political strength together to keep blocking Cody, and to work with Jericho, which becomes a door which closes if they don’t get what they want.

But those are just some options.

·
Banned
2,238 Posts
I was just driving home and started the Drive Thru and nearly ran off the road when they started talking about the Mars Bars up the Arse title being revoked by the prestigious International Anal Inserter Association (IAIA). I was expecting them to announce Jelly was the guy at the end.
Blimey O-Reilly! That was quite something, lmao.

I had just started the podcast as I was eating and, safe to say, I didn't eat as much as I had planned.

If that didn't make you proud to be English then, well, you're probably English.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts
I can't believe Dave had the balls to say this shit on the airwaves. The Young Bucks literally wrestle the same TRASH match every week and he masturbates over it, yet he has the nerve to act like the NXT men are the only ones guilty of it.
Just another proof that Uncle Dave has lost his marbles and is drinking heavily of the Old Bucks/Omega Kool-aid.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
I was just listening to the Lapsed Fan podcast series with Dave Meltzer on Starrcade. I think it’s 1998 where he talks about Goldberg’s streak and how they made it not real and that really cost them. It’s an AMAZING listen, because actually does/did know his shit, and it’s kind of weird after the modern bombardment of his shit to hear him talking about how to present wrestling to an audience. He sounds VERY similar to Jim Cornette, and it’s fascinatingly ironic to compare that to Dave now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can't believe Dave had the balls to say this shit on the airwaves. The Young Bucks literally wrestle the same TRASH match every week and he masturbates over it, yet he has the nerve to act like the NXT men are the only ones guilty of it.
Dave at that point is a lost cause,and other podcast are starting to report on some of the backstage turmoil in aew.apprently you have clicks forming in aew,of wrestler's who don't them to hire anymore WWE guys.and you also pressure coming TNT network executive's about aew product,and at this Cody is making plans for his future if everything goes south.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i haven't been able to watch anything wrestling related for two weeks now
i will catch up on Cornette's podcasts (today or tomorrow)
but what about the last two dynamite shows
do they deserve four hours of my life ?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
From the start, I always thought it was just a matter of time until the in-fighting started in AEW. Almost every promotion or promoter ever has put their friends and family members in positions of power within their promotion and AEW has 5 people doing that at the same time with the Bucks, Omega, Cody and Brandi plus Jericho. It's just a matter of time until someone's friend or family member gets into it with someone else's friend or family member or has to be let go and causes an all-out civil war.

It seems like the factions are:

Cody and Brandi - Red Velvet, Arn and Arn's son, Jade, Dustin Rhodes, QT, Scorpio Sky and all of the Nightmare Factory students

Kenny - Callis, Shida, Riho, Nakazawa and Nyla Rose

The Young Bucks - Cutler, most of the Dark Order members, Best Friends, SCU, Excalibur and Top Flight

Jericho - Luther
Traditionally, wrestling promotions operate best when they have a ambitious authoritarian in control and 1 or 2 trusted hencemen who know their stuff. Or hencemen who can offer something new and a ruthless authoritarian who knows his/her stuff:

Vince McMahon and George Scott, Vince and Pat Patterson, Jim Crockett and Dusty Rhodes, Tod Gordon and Paul Heyman, Eric Bischoff and Kevin Sullivan/Terry Taylor, McMahon and Vince Russo/Jim Cornette, McMahon and Kreski.

Tony Khan, with his EVPs, has somehow found a cross between the compartmentalised (and criticised) corporate mentality of post publicly listed WWE. And 'all the top names having major creative control' approach of bloated WCW towards the end. Worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
It’s very curious. Of all the things people are nostalgic for in wrestling, and things a pandering pro-wrestling could implement for brownie points, is having a single booker wth a personal vision.

It makes me wonder if giving these guys creative control was a bribe and concession that TK had to make to get Omega, The Bucks and/or Cody on board in any way. Like a bunch of undersized Hogans in WCW — a decision which both enabled the rise of that promotion, but necessitated its demise.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts
It’s very curious. Of all the things people are nostalgic for in wrestling, and things a pandering pro-wrestling could implement for brownie points, is having a single booker wth a personal vision.

It makes me wonder if giving these guys creative control was a bribe and concession that TK had to make to get Omega, The Bucks and/or Cody on board in any way. Like a bunch of undersized Hogans in WCW — a decision which both enabled the rise of that promotion, but necessitated its demise.
Probably not a bribe as such, just a part of the contract. All of them would jump at any chance to have influence. And Khan has no idea about how to put together a wrestling show, so he needed someone who (in his mind) had an idea about how to do it. He would have been better off if he had just hired them like any other wrestlers and had found a booker to run the show.

·
Registered
14,706 Posts
Probably not a bribe as such, just a part of the contract. All of them would jump at any chance to have influence. And Khan has no idea about how to put together a wrestling show, so he needed someone who (in his mind) had an idea about how to do it. He would have been better off if he had just hired them like any other wrestlers and had found a booker to run the show.
But does Omega go if he is not given the book? Why is that even a part of their contracts?

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts
But does Omega go if he is not given the book? Why is that even a part of their contracts?
I think none of them would be there if they didn´t have direct influence and/or control.. Everyone say they did great in Japan, so they would probably just have stayed there.
It´s part of their contracts because Khan was trying to recreate WCW, and they convinced him this was the way to do it.. They went "all in" and put their name and reputation in it.

1361 - 1380 of 1592 Posts