Wrestling Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1592 Posts

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
Fair enough - for me it was the kind of thing I'd see in a movie and not bother to question as it was a cool visual. But we all see things differently.

With regards storylines and long term booking - I would say it's hit and miss. They try to do long term booking and sometimes it comes off well - there were parts of the Omega/Hangman relationship, the MJF/Pinnacle swerve, the Omega/Callis screw job angle that are examples for me. Other times the pace of a storyline is off - the Omega angle has stuttered and been confused. And yet other times they just make a mess of it - Shaq v Cody...WTF was that lol. So it's a mixed bag for me but when it comes off I prefer it to angles I'm likely to get from another product. I'm a fan of the little clues and call backs they drop along the way - I appreciate the thought that goes into it and the richness it adds over your typical, simple wrestling trope.
The way I have seen it is they do something, they forget it about it and do other things, and if that initial thing ends up coming back, people will say it was great long term storytelling or the plan all along. I am sure if Mike Tyson showed up again and yawned, some would say "oh wow! they really DID have it planned out all along!" but that is obviously not true. The more I see proof that Tony has a pretty substantial case of ADHD, the more the product presented makes sense to me (in that it rarely does make sense).

·
Registered
667 Posts
It was reported on awhile back by the various pro wrestle sites and the sportster,sportskeeda and the fans said who were in attendance said there was more then one heated argument.the only one who didn't report on it was the wrestling observer, but it's not the first time cody,omega and the bucks have gotten in it over the creative direction of aew.
My theory is that Jericho and Mox were promised the first title reigns as part of their signing terms, Kenny accepted having his push put on ice for the first year and Cody didn’t so Cody wrote himself out of title scene and went into business for himself with the TNT title by pushing it at the same level as the World title thus calling it the ace title.

It’s a theory though, I just need JR to verify it in his first shoot interview which will be the most anticipated shoot interview since Mox left WWE.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think his point was that they did not do that within two weeks of the factions first forming. Imagine if the nWo got beat up and Hogan got his head shoved in a toilet two weeks after Bash at the Beach 96. He raised a very good point with that and I did not see it the same way at first but if they wanted a true dominant heel stable, they needed to be built up as credible for awhile before anyone got the better of them. The whole thing with the IC standing in the bathroom staring at the door for hours was ridiculous too. No one thinks through their angle details. A dude with ADHD just says "OMG I love that, go."
For me they basically just told the audience that the Pinnacle, their brand new faction of top guys, are actually not top guys because they just had their asses handed to them by a faction that haven’t won or achieved anything collectively or individually in 12 months.

Jericho lost to OC
Hager lost to Mox/Cody/Wardlow
PnP lost to best friends and Bucks
Sammy lost to Matt Hardy

Once again a complete lack of sense and restraint by booker of the year.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,345 (Edited)
Haven't actually heard Corny's thoughts on this (as I haven't seen a video pop up on my Youtube yet), but I kind of get the idea behind the message.

I think back to the Shield for example. One of the big reasons The Shield became a big deal is because they were protected. Most of the time when they were on TV, they were kicking ass. But even when it was their turn to give back, they hardly ever got "laid out". If they were on the receiving end of a beating, they usually were at least able to retreat and live to fight another day. They may have lost one fight here and there, but there was also hardly a ever a visual of them being completely laid out. And when it did happen (like when Evolution did it to them), it meant something.

Last week, only 3 weeks after the initial beatdown and introduction of the Pinnacle, the Inner Circle whooped their collective asses and kicked them out of the locker room they took over. Now, I thought the brawl was very entertaining and fun, don't get me wrong. But it just felt so early to do it. It would have been one thing if the Pinnacle had been in the ring, IC return, and then they chase them off while the Pinnacle regroup. But here, they got their asses handed to them, including Jericho giving MJF a swirly to top it off.

Even with Jericho saying "this is far from over" or whatever he said, we already got the visual of the Inner Circle getting their revenge. So now the Pinnacle will have to find a way to try and outdo that and it's a dangerous cycle to start.
Fun fact: Before Cena ruined them, The Shield never beat the Wyatt Family and Bray was the only person in the company to pin Roman twice.

To your point: with about 2 months to build to the pay-per-view, they could have stretched this out for a few more weeks and given the Pinnacle credible wins, but I did greatly appreciate the visual of the cinematic brawl and that's probably affecting how I view this situation.

·
rasslin
6,462 Posts
Fun fact: The Shield never beat the Wyatt Family and Bray was the only person in the company to pin Roman twice.

To your point: with about 2 months to build to the pay-per-view, they could have stretched this out for a few more weeks and given the Pinnacle credible wins, but I did greatly appreciate the visual of the cinematic brawl and that's probably affecting how I view this situation.
Shield beat them on main event near the end of their run

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I disagree with Cornette on MJF's faction being buried. How many times did we see Austin and Rock clown DX and the McMahon Helmsley regime immediately after getting screwed out of title matches? I never once thought they were buried. I think the brawl was well executed and now they're even, which means this'll have to be settled in a faction war on PPV. I'm looking forward to it.
I somewhat agree with him. The prinnicle have had their commeupence, after 2 weeks. Should have stretched it out for longer, having slight beat downs but have the heels run away before it got too serious.

For starts I'd have given FTR the tag titles with an assist from MJF; are the young bucks even using them at this point? Have them impliment the rematch clause last week when the inner circle were absent.
Bring back the 20mins with excellence or whatever it was called. I'd have Spears lose to Darby thanks to the inner circle this week. Stretch it out as Cornette says till the war games, then do this segment.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The way I have seen it is they do something, they forget it about it and do other things, and if that initial thing ends up coming back, people will say it was great long term storytelling or the plan all along. I am sure if Mike Tyson showed up again and yawned, some would say "oh wow! they really DID have it planned out all along!" but that is obviously not true. The more I see proof that Tony has a pretty substantial case of ADHD, the more the product presented makes sense to me (in that it rarely does make sense).
I'll concede it does feel like that with certain angles, kinda stop start. But I do think they've had a number of long term storylines in the background since day one and have dropped certain clues along the way. Some they've capitalised on, others they've stalled on or squandered altogether. So hit and miss for me but the hits are satisfying because of the calbacks to past events.

I did chuckle at the Tyson comment though. One example from the 'we tried it but it didn't work so we'll forget it ever happened' pile.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think his point was that they did not do that within two weeks of the factions first forming. Imagine if the nWo got beat up and Hogan got his head shoved in a toilet two weeks after Bash at the Beach 96. He raised a very good point with that and I did not see it the same way at first but if they wanted a true dominant heel stable, they needed to be built up as credible for awhile before anyone got the better of them. The whole thing with the IC standing in the bathroom staring at the door for hours was ridiculous too. No one thinks through their angle details. A dude with ADHD just says "OMG I love that, go."
Yea TK is completely lost on the psychology of pro wrestling. After The Pinnacle did their mischief, it created heat that you basically need to sustain. By having them do even more stuff so the heat gets bigger and bigger and the people get pissed. Until they get their common place against the faces at an event where every fan will want to watch. But here the heat is already gone, already deflated cause the Pinnacle already had their common place. Only two weeks later and the leader had his face in a toilet bowl. It's over.

·
Banned
2,238 Posts
You're the most objective Christian fan I've seen on the internet in my 9 years of following the IWC. So many of them are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum where they think he was far superior to Edge and deserved his push.
I hate to break it to you, mate, but I did prefer him to Edge and did think he deserved a push, ha.

Still, I try to remain objective, and can understand where others (like yourself and other people I've interacted on here about him with) are coming from when they have the opposite opinion.

As far as his AEW career so far, it's sucked, and I didn't have high expectations to begin with.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts
Now I´m more convinced than ever that Tony or his stooges is reading WF..

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
I was just driving home and started the Drive Thru and nearly ran off the road when they started talking about the Mars Bars up the Arse title being revoked by the prestigious International Anal Inserter Association (IAIA). I was expecting them to announce Jelly was the guy at the end.

1341 - 1360 of 1592 Posts