Wrestling Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1592 Posts

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts
It was reported on awhile back by the various pro wrestle sites and the sportster,sportskeeda and the fans said who were in attendance said there was more then one heated argument.the only one who didn't report on it was the wrestling observer, but it's not the first time cody,omega and the bucks have gotten in it over the creative direction of aew.
I missed that? I don´t remember a fight. :( But I´ve said since the beginning that one or more of the EVP´s will leave the company due to creative differences.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It was reported on awhile back by the various pro wrestle sites and the sportster,sportskeeda and the fans said who were in attendance said there was more then one heated argument.the only one who didn't report on it was the wrestling observer, but it's not the first time cody,omega and the bucks have gotten in it over the creative direction of aew.
Post proof. I haven't heard anything of the sort. There's no way that wouldn't be a bigger story if reported because people thrive on drama.

·
Registered
#FreeTheAussies
7,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
Maybe not the most credible source, but I still believe it. And it´s funny how Meltzer didn´t report anything even though he was on the cruise and was supposed to be an "unbiased" reporter. Just another proof of Uncle Dave trying to paint AEW in an overly positive light
I do not think anyone can say Meltzer is unbiased with a straight face.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,330
I disagree with Cornette on MJF's faction being buried. How many times did we see Austin and Rock clown DX and the McMahon Helmsley regime immediately after getting screwed out of title matches? I never once thought they were buried. I think the brawl was well executed and now they're even, which means this'll have to be settled in a faction war on PPV. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
I disagree with Cornette on MJF's faction being buried. How many times did we see Austin and Rock clown DX and the McMahon Helmsley regime immediately after getting screwed out of title matches? I never once thought they were buried. I think the brawl was well executed and now they're even, which means this'll have to be settled in a faction war on PPV. I'm looking forward to it.
I think his point was that they did not do that within two weeks of the factions first forming. Imagine if the nWo got beat up and Hogan got his head shoved in a toilet two weeks after Bash at the Beach 96. He raised a very good point with that and I did not see it the same way at first but if they wanted a true dominant heel stable, they needed to be built up as credible for awhile before anyone got the better of them. The whole thing with the IC standing in the bathroom staring at the door for hours was ridiculous too. No one thinks through their angle details. A dude with ADHD just says "OMG I love that, go."

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,332
I think his point was that they did not do that within two weeks of the factions first forming. Imagine if the nWo got beat up and Hogan got his head shoved in a toilet two weeks after Bash at the Beach 96. He raised a very good point with that and I did not see it the same way at first but if they wanted a true dominant heel stable, they needed to be built up as credible for awhile before anyone got the better of them. The whole thing with the IC standing in the bathroom staring at the door for hours was ridiculous too. No one thinks through their angle details. A dude with ADHD just says "OMG I love that, go."
That's very valid. It's perfectly fine to want them to rack up more wins before being decimated.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
That's very valid. It's perfectly fine to want them to rack up more wins before being decimated.
Plus it is not like they did not have FTR being geeked out by the Bucks, MJF looking like an idiot singing with Jericho, and Spears being Spears over the past year anyway. They needed some credibility.

·
Banned
2,238 Posts
I'm happy with their review of Christian's match.

I couldn't believe that people were raving about it. It didn't matter how good from a technical pov it was because the whole thing was counter productive from the way it was booked to begin with.

It takes AEW no time at all to kill any star power/interest in big new signings, and it sucks to see.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The whole thing with the IC standing in the bathroom staring at the door for hours was ridiculous too. No one thinks through their angle details. A dude with ADHD just says "OMG I love that, go."
With regards this bit specifically - in kayfabe terms you're right it doesn't make much sense. But I liked it - the whole scene reminded me of the comedic gangster movie genre like "Lock Stock" or "Snatch". Lots of grittiness mixed in with a few comedic touches, sometimes putting visual impact and soundbites ahead of realism. I'm able to suspend my disbelief to enjoy a movie like that and the same goes here. It was a cool visual and a unexpected shock, as a result. Actually, the whole scene was cinematic so didn't feel like a real fight but in the same way as you'd see in a TV drama or movie imo. A lot more entertaining to me than some of the generic brawls we see as ringside etc.

·
Premium Member
Geekslayer
12,474 Posts
With regards this bit specifically - in kayfabe terms you're right it doesn't make much sense. But I liked it - the whole scene reminded me of the comedic gangster movie genre like "Lock Stock" or "Snatch". Lots of grittiness mixed in with a few comedic touches, sometimes putting visual impact and soundbites ahead of realism. I'm able to suspend my disbelief to enjoy a movie like that and the same goes here. It was a cool visual and a unexpected shock, as a result. Actually, the whole scene was cinematic so didn't feel like a real fight but in the same way as you'd see in a TV drama or movie imo. A lot more entertaining to me than some of the generic brawls we see as ringside etc.
I am able to suspend my disbelief too, but not if what I am being told to believe is too dumb. I very much enjoy a good beat down angle, but that bathroom thing really hurt it for me and it immediately distracted me from what was happening because it was the first thing they showed. It made NO sense and they could have easily just had the IC waiting right outside the locker room door. Movies and TV shows generally have someone on staff in charge of continuity and AEW needs someone like that badly. So much schizophrenic booking and not thinking through things long term. To see a few people on here argue that they are good at long term storytelling is just hilarious to me. Maybe in a big picture sense they have their ideas down, but no one is really thinking through the details to actually make it work.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
31,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,338
I'm happy with their review of Christian's match.

I couldn't believe that people were raving about it. It didn't matter how good from a technical pov it was because the whole thing was counter productive from the way it was booked to begin with.

It takes AEW no time at all to kill any star power/interest in big new signings, and it sucks to see.
You're the most objective Christian fan I've seen on the internet in my 9 years of following the IWC. So many of them are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum where they think he was far superior to Edge and deserved his push.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am able to suspend my disbelief too, but not if what I am being told to believe is too dumb. I very much enjoy a good beat down angle, but that bathroom thing really hurt it for me and it immediately distracted me from what was happening because it was the first thing they showed. It made NO sense and they could have easily just had the IC waiting right outside the locker room door. Movies and TV shows generally have someone on staff in charge of continuity and AEW needs someone like that badly. So much schizophrenic booking and not thinking through things long term. To see a few people on here argue that they are good at long term storytelling is just hilarious to me. Maybe in a big picture sense they have their ideas down, but no one is really thinking through the details to actually make it work.
Fair enough - for me it was the kind of thing I'd see in a movie and not bother to question as it was a cool visual. But we all see things differently.

With regards storylines and long term booking - I would say it's hit and miss. They try to do long term booking and sometimes it comes off well - there were parts of the Omega/Hangman relationship, the MJF/Pinnacle swerve, the Omega/Callis screw job angle that are examples for me. Other times the pace of a storyline is off - the Omega angle has stuttered and been confused. And yet other times they just make a mess of it - Shaq v Cody...WTF was that lol. So it's a mixed bag for me but when it comes off I prefer it to angles I'm likely to get from another product. I'm a fan of the little clues and call backs they drop along the way - I appreciate the thought that goes into it and the richness it adds over your typical, simple wrestling trope.

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
Haven't actually heard Corny's thoughts on this (as I haven't seen a video pop up on my Youtube yet), but I kind of get the idea behind the message.

I think back to the Shield for example. One of the big reasons The Shield became a big deal is because they were protected. Most of the time when they were on TV, they were kicking ass. But even when it was their turn to give back, they hardly ever got "laid out". If they were on the receiving end of a beating, they usually were at least able to retreat and live to fight another day. They may have lost one fight here and there, but there was also hardly a ever a visual of them being completely laid out. And when it did happen (like when Evolution did it to them), it meant something.

Last week, only 3 weeks after the initial beatdown and introduction of the Pinnacle, the Inner Circle whooped their collective asses and kicked them out of the locker room they took over. Now, I thought the brawl was very entertaining and fun, don't get me wrong. But it just felt so early to do it. It would have been one thing if the Pinnacle had been in the ring, IC return, and then they chase them off while the Pinnacle regroup. But here, they got their asses handed to them, including Jericho giving MJF a swirly to top it off.

Even with Jericho saying "this is far from over" or whatever he said, we already got the visual of the Inner Circle getting their revenge. So now the Pinnacle will have to find a way to try and outdo that and it's a dangerous cycle to start.

1321 - 1340 of 1592 Posts