Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 5255 Posts

· Premium Member
15,128 Posts
One of the actual things I agree with him on this week. That and his opinion on the shaq angle.

I legit forgot shanna vs britt happened
Yeah I zoomed out during the match, was happy to see Rosa out though.

There's this line from Brian that killed me too "Jade has a Masters in Child Psychology...which will probably come in handy in AEW"

· Banned
2,540 Posts
If they're such loonies why can't you argue against the argument made? Truth is you just don't like that he doesn't hold his tongue when he's negative, but can't really argue some of the points he makes. He's definitely a dick, but a lot of his actual criticism has merit.
Because I don't doesn't mean I can't. I don't listen to him because I realized he's negative to get views. Guy's made a living as a heel & this is just extension of that.

Cornette said "all in" could only sell out with local TV. He is also opposed to Orange Cassidy in any shape or form. Reality countered his argument in those instances

· Registered
37,516 Posts
Because I don't doesn't mean I can't. I don't listen to him because I realized he's negative to get views. Guy's made a living as a heel & this is just extension of that.

Cornette said "all in" could only sell out with local TV. He is also opposed to Orange Cassidy in any shape or form. Reality countered his argument in those instances
No you actually argue with points when you have them. Dave didn't even think All In could work so what's your point there?

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

@Firefromthegods can you remove people like this who blatantly admit they don't listen and just come to derail the thread? It's definitely not the Cornette fans starting the drama.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
Cornette & his followers are wrestling's equivalent of Trump & extreme elements of the right; loonies who are afraid of change & like to hear everything in the past was better.

We know first hand his ideas don't play in today's world as his dated gimmick saw him removed for racism in his last real gig with nwa.
With roh top talent like Owens had issues with his old fashioned creative which included $1,000 prize for battle royal & rehash of Canada vs USA from his time with wwe in 1997.

The troubling aspect of this "cult" is their willingness not to just defend Cornette's wrestling views but his actions. As ovw owner he took advantage of his position & assaulted Anthony Carelli. Recently, former wrestlers who made accusations against & him & his wife were harassed by cult members.
Scary.
Is there an argument here, or just ad hominem?

He quit the NWA, by the way. His commentary was the best in the business before he left. A lot of people lost interest in the NWA after that (myself and Dave Meltzer included).

Those ROH ideas don’t sound half-bad. Kevin Owens was a bit of a punk back then he wanted to do a lot of gimmicky ECW shit which wouldn’t have held up and would have hampered the sale of ROH. But the boys gotta get their shit in. He ended up taking Corny’s advice and lost weight, gelled the hair and hasn’t been anywhere near as argumentative in the WWE as in ROH.

I’m not stuck in the past. I’m not even stuck in the present. I am constantly looking towards the future for something genuinely stimulating to come along. What does being stuck in the past mean to you? Is it wanting good wrestling that makes sense and tells a progressive story, or is it hiring nostalgia acts to hang around your top babyfaces because you were a WCW fan back in the day? Genuine question.

Instead of just saying something that hasn’t been tried won’t work, how about you try and explain why it won’t. How is Cornette stuck in the past? Should the Battle Royal have been for a dinosaur horn instead of $1,000?

What did AEW fans think of JB vs. Dax Harwood? Were they so disgusted at Cornette’s taste in wresting?

Dax hardwood was the agent for the match too,
The guy is a talent, for sure.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
Meltzer didn’t think All In would sell out. Let’s discard his opinion too, hey? And he’s right to dismiss Orange Cassidy. Shit like that is why AEW couldn’t keep that 1.4 million that wanted to give them a chance.

Why can’t people just accept the reviews are negative because he doesn’t like the products? What do you say when he actually praises something thoroughly?

· Banned
2,540 Posts
No you actually argue with points when you have them. Dave didn't even think All In could work so what's your point there?
I argue with points I remember. Cornette merely offers his opinion - that's all. He's a great talker & convincing and if you have limited exposure to wrestling view points & different products you might take everything as fact.
Unfortunately, where he comes unstuck is practice. With roh he pissed talent with old fashioned creative & missed boat with Bucks who actually later drew best business in history of that company. If that's not rebuke of his philosophy don't know what is.
He most recent effort was with nwa a company designed to recreate product of 1985 & his approach was too outdated for even them.
Meltzer may not have thought the bucks had the fanbase to sellout sears center but he didn't suggest adopting method which hadn't been viable since 80's & actually put smw out of business

· Registered
37,516 Posts
I argue with points I remember. Cornette merely offers his opinion - that's all. He's a great talker & convincing and if you have limited exposure to wrestling view points & different products you might take everything as fact.
Unfortunately, where he comes unstuck is practice. With roh he pissed talent with old fashioned creative & missed boat with Bucks who actually later drew best business in history of that company. If that's not rebuke of his philosophy don't know what is.
He most recent effort was with nwa a company designed to recreate product of 1985 & his approach was too outdated for even them.
Meltzer may not have thought the bucks had the fanbase to sellout sears center but he didn't suggest adopting method which hadn't been viable since 80's & actually put smw out of business
But even without adopting his entire old mentality there are things that can be taken from what he says. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
Meltzer may not have thought the bucks had the fanbase to sellout sears center but he didn't suggest adopting method which hadn't been viable since 80's & actually put smw out of business[/B]
Lol at the bold bit. Also, The Bucks have never drawn on wrestling. They were disposable undercard talent in New Japan and are stuck in the niche that is AEW. But even if they did start to draw, that’s got nothing to do with how expensive versus how unremarkable they were then. Talk about being stuck in the past.

Cornette saved ROH. If he didn’t steer it in the direction it went, indy wrestling would have been decimated. That trumps upsetting Kevin Steen and an uncontracted El Generico.

Did Cornette even suggest local television? I remember him talking about radio for local publicity and comps. He probably undersold the mobilised nature of the disgruntled wrestling nerd, but so did everybody. He also suggested getting CM Punk or Bryan Danielson. Boy would that have been nice?

I bite and throw chairs and rescue dogs
19,578 Posts
Then surely you won't close the thread when you see obvious baiting like this?
I could just do a thread titled Cornettes opinions for Cornette fans only and be done with then you and everyone else who values his opinion can post all his stuff there. There's only the one overall Jim Cornette thread, you won't have to make a new one every week which means no complaints and I'd only ever have to close it if it got too full?

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
Alright guys I understand his controversial but There’s people who actually enjoy his opinions for whatever reason. Let them discuss his philosophy's and opinions on the episode here i don't see the harm in having a old school mentality thread each week. Its remarkablely easy to avoid.

But if its going to devolve into an old school vs new school thing every week then its not worth having them
Oh, it´s just the usual 3-5 AEW fanboys being mad because someone has a platform with a lot of listeners and tells people not everything in AEW is great.
It´s not oldschool vs new school.. It´s not even a philosophy. And quite frankly, just by calling it the "Cornette philosophy", you yourself is guilty of putting stoke to the fire.. Lesser minded people might think it´s okay just to post shit and bait.

When there´s something he think is good, Cornette says it, and a lot of the people who can see the problems in AEW doesn´t always agree with him.. Like this week for instance -his criticism of Jericho´s deteriorating physique is totally justified, but there´s no reason to bash him about donating money to a presidential campaign and bring up his dual citizenship like it´s supposed to mean that he shouldn´t be allowed to use his money to support Trump or whomever he likes.

I suggest the people who won´t even comment on what he says simply stay out of threads about his podcasts. You don´t have to agree with him, you can even call him a fool, as long as you comment on what he said.

41 - 60 of 5255 Posts