Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 5255 Posts

· Banned
15,486 Posts
Not to mention Corny was doing fine long before AEW came to town.

It's just a hobby. Out of respect for the business and actual wrestling fans, he exposes the many, many flaws of this detriment to wrestling itself company all from the comfort of his home.
And he’s getting more and more popular. If there weren’t an audience for his criticisms, then how does that keep happening?

· Registered
3,987 Posts
And he’s getting more and more popular. If there weren’t an audience for his criticisms, then how does that keep happening?
It's funny how people act like he's irrelevant. Even the goofs over at AEW acknowledge him. He's AEW's biggest, and only, heel, and he's not even employed there. In fact, he rejected the chance to join them!

· Banned
15,486 Posts
It's funny how people act like he's irrelevant. Even the goofs over at AEW acknowledge him. He's AEW's biggest, and only, heel, and he's not even employed there. In fact, he rejected the chance to join them!
The irrelevant thing is so weird. I guess it’s because you can’t dismiss Corny’s arguments without trying to dismiss him. He’s old, out of touch, a carny, hates AEW so he’s biased, irrelevant, he doesn’t really believe it, etc. They’re buzz phrases designed to attack the person and not the argument.

I guess the irrelevant thing is because he hasn’t sucked up to get a WWE job? I mean, the guy’s been working in wrestling pretty consistently for almost 40 years now. Even over the past decade there was the podcast, beloved by many, the NWA, MLW, GFW and ROH, which he saved by negotiating the sale to Sinclair. He’s even appeared in some WWE productions and is integral in Dark Side of the Ring.

And it’s clear AEW talent obsess over him. Chris Jericho, The Bucks and Joey Janela especially. Tony Khan has made an on-air reference. The criticisms obviously sting, and that’s because they carry the weight of an expert who can articulate themselves without mincing words and usually in a better promo than anyone else can cut.

I’d say Corny is EXTREMELY relevant if you are trying to get a lay of the land when it comes to understanding commentary about wrestling. He’s probably the most well-known wrestling critic right now?

· Registered
3,987 Posts
The irrelevant thing is so weird. I guess it’s because you can’t dismiss Corny’s arguments without trying to dismiss him. He’s old, out of touch, a carny, hates AEW so he’s biased, irrelevant, he doesn’t really believe it, etc. They’re buzz phrases designed to attack the person and not the argument.

I guess the irrelevant thing is because he hasn’t sucked up to get a WWE job? I mean, the guy’s been working in wrestling pretty consistently for almost 40 years now. Even over the past decade there was the podcast, beloved by many, the NWA, MLW, GFW and ROH, which he saved by negotiating the sale to Sinclair. He’s even appeared in some WWE productions and is integral in Dark Side of the Ring.

And it’s clear AEW talent obsess over him. Chris Jericho, The Bucks and Joey Janela especially. Tony Khan has made an on-air reference. The criticisms obviously sting, and that’s because they carry the weight of an expert who can articulate themselves without mincing words and usually in a better promo than anyone else can cut.

I’d say Corny is EXTREMELY relevant if you are trying to get a lay of the land when it comes to understanding commentary about wrestling. He’s probably the most well-known wrestling critic right now?
I agree with all of that.

It's funny that you bring up how long he's been in the business. People act like he's a failure but I bet most would kill to have the career he's had. Nearly 40 years, working all around the world, making consistently good money. And now, thanks to that career, he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't need to degrade himself on tv for a paycheck like so many other legends of the business.

I can't think of another critic who not only gets as much as attention as he does from fans an wrestling talent alike, but I can't think of anyone else to be constantly referenced on a show. Even Matt Hardy had to get a "dig" in with the Hurricane.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
He also ended up saying something that I said in the very early days (before he did, which I just clarify so people can’t say I “copied” him): This is an opportunity to give people outside the WWE a chance to work, and them fucking it up reduces the chances that any other billionaires will see wrestling as anything worth investing in.

AEW fans are just happy to have a product that winks and nudges at them, not really seeing the larger picture (in my opinion). Cornette has always had an industry-wide vision.

But you see that criticism of him — that he’s “using” them for attention. Like the guy didn’t have a successful podcast before, like he’s selling Cornette products to people looking to hear nice things about AEW, like it’s anywhere near the biggest lightning rod could throw up, and like they didn’t actually offer him a fucking job.

It’s really hard for some people to just accept that some people aren’t enamoured with the content put out by AEW.
This week's show is a prime example of Cornette not needing AEW. He's making so much money from his Cornette collectibles orders that he has to shut down that part of his website and take a one month break from shipping orders. That's without even mentioning that AEW offered him a job in the beginning that he turned down, and did it again as recently as 3 months ago because the s*** they put on their program is so embarrassing that he doesn't want his name attached to it for any amount of money. Whoever truly thinks he needs to flame them to pay his bills is just being willfully ignorant at this point.

· Banned
15,486 Posts
This week's show is a prime example of Cornette not needing AEW. He's making so much money from his Cornette collectibles orders that he has to shut down that part of his website and take a one month break from shipping orders. That's without even mentioning that AEW offered him a job in the beginning that he turned down, and did it again as recently as 3 months ago because the s*** they put on their program is so embarrassing that he doesn't want his name attached to it for any amount of money. Whoever truly thinks he needs to flame them to pay his bills is just being willfully ignorant at this point.
Look at JR and Arn Anderson. They’re two guys I greatly respect, but you can tell JR wants out of it. Not out of the paycheck, per se, but out of the product. Arn’s statement on the stuff they do is “If you had asked me a while ago, I’d have hated it, but now I can accept that it’s what the people there want to see.” Which has a very coded message, haha.

Cornette thinks that it’s shit, says that it’s shit, doesn’t excuse that it’s shit, and somehow he’s the dishonest guy?

And his arguments make SENSE. Who would argue with the suggestion that Adam Page should have been introduced with 6-minute matches designed to make him look like a perfectly capable wrestler? Anybody? But he’s “out of touch” because he “wants to see 20-minute headlocks.” Bah.

I bite and throw chairs and rescue dogs
19,569 Posts
Alright guys I understand his controversial but There’s people who actually enjoy his opinions for whatever reason. Let them discuss his philosophy's and opinions on the episode here i don't see the harm in having a old school mentality thread each week. Its remarkablely easy to avoid.

But if its going to devolve into an old school vs new school thing every week then its not worth having them

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
But if its going to devolve into an old school vs new school thing every week then its not worth having them
It's not even old school vs new school. It's people who hate that Cornette loudly criticizes AEW and gets lots of attention for it, and this only encourages them to keep trolling the threads with irrelevant arguments to get them shut down when they're clearly among the most popular in this section. Since that's the case, I won't be acknowledging them at all in these threads so they stay open for the thousands of lurkers who enjoy them.

I bite and throw chairs and rescue dogs
19,569 Posts
It's not even old school vs new school. It's people who hate that Cornette loudly criticizes AEW and gets lots of attention for it, and this only encourages them to keep trolling the threads with irrelevant arguments to get them shut down when they're clearly among the most popular in this section. Since that's the case, I won't be acknowledging them at all in these threads so they stay open for the thousands of lurkers who enjoy them.
Good idea. I don't want the new evolution of this war to go from loyalists vs angry Aussies to elitists vs camp Cornette

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lots of praise from Cornette this week. He was high on Archer/Kingston (besides the finish and the heel/heel dynamic) and Jungle Boy/Dax.

Lol, the way Cornette described the main event is hilarious. Are The Young Bucks really already working with Gallows & Anderson? Wow.
Yeah, Cornette has always been a fan of Jungle Boy and said he has star potential, but it took me personally to see him separated from the dinosaur and the dwarf to get the same vibe. Those guys really bring him down presentation wise. It's visually the difference between jobber for life and midcard star.

· Registered
3,987 Posts
Cornette is actually complimentary to a lot of AEWs stuff. It's just that the buffoonery far outweighs the positives and thus drowns them out. Probably why people think he just craps on everything when they only hear about specific segments instead of the whole review.

Sir how can you be a Cornette fan and not remember the great camp Cornette stable. If he is to be revered he must be revered by his greatest wrestling accomplishment
Touché, my good sir!

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Jungle Boy has been really good almost every time I’ve seen him. Jungle Boy vs. MJF is one of my favourite AEW matches. I might have to add JB vs. Dax to that list, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it yet.
You need to watch that ASAP, especially if you were already a fan of Jungle Boy.

· Banned
2,540 Posts
Cornette & his followers are wrestling's equivalent of Trump & extreme elements of the right; loonies who are afraid of change & like to hear everything in the past was better.

We know first hand his ideas don't play in today's world as his dated gimmick saw him removed for racism in his last real gig with nwa.
With roh top talent like Owens had issues with his old fashioned creative which included $1,000 prize for battle royal & rehash of Canada vs USA from his time with wwe in 1997.

The troubling aspect of this "cult" is their willingness not to just defend Cornette's wrestling views but his actions. As ovw owner he took advantage of his position & assaulted Anthony Carelli. Recently, former wrestlers who made accusations against & him & his wife were harassed by cult members.
Scary.

· Registered
37,516 Posts
Cornette & his followers are wrestling's equivalent of Trump & extreme elements of the right; loonies who are afraid of change & like to hear everything in the past was better.

We know first hand his ideas don't play in today's world as his dated gimmick saw him removed for racism in his last real gig with nwa.
With roh top talent like Owens had issues with his old fashioned creative which included $1,000 prize for battle royal & rehash of Canada vs USA from his time with wwe in 1997.

The troubling aspect of this "cult" is their willingness not to just defend Cornette's wrestling views but his actions. As ovw owner he took advantage of his position & assaulted Anthony Carelli. Recently, former wrestlers who made accusations against & him & his wife were harassed by cult members.
Scary.
If they're such loonies why can't you argue against the argument made? Truth is you just don't like that he doesn't hold his tongue when he's negative, but can't really argue some of the points he makes. He's definitely a dick, but a lot of his actual criticism has merit.

21 - 40 of 5255 Posts