Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
Alright guys I understand his controversial but There’s people who actually enjoy his opinions for whatever reason. Let them discuss his philosophy's and opinions on the episode here i don't see the harm in having a old school mentality thread each week. Its remarkablely easy to avoid.

But if its going to devolve into an old school vs new school thing every week then its not worth having them
Oh, it´s just the usual 3-5 AEW fanboys being mad because someone has a platform with a lot of listeners and tells people not everything in AEW is great.
It´s not oldschool vs new school.. It´s not even a philosophy. And quite frankly, just by calling it the "Cornette philosophy", you yourself is guilty of putting stoke to the fire.. Lesser minded people might think it´s okay just to post shit and bait.

When there´s something he think is good, Cornette says it, and a lot of the people who can see the problems in AEW doesn´t always agree with him.. Like this week for instance -his criticism of Jericho´s deteriorating physique is totally justified, but there´s no reason to bash him about donating money to a presidential campaign and bring up his dual citizenship like it´s supposed to mean that he shouldn´t be allowed to use his money to support Trump or whomever he likes.

I suggest the people who won´t even comment on what he says simply stay out of threads about his podcasts. You don´t have to agree with him, you can even call him a fool, as long as you comment on what he said.

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
Before AEW started, they invited Cornette to become a consultant/agent, similarly to his job in TNA, but he declined because he didn't want to deal with the travel and he didn't want a work from home gig because he felt like they wouldn't really use his advice, and he wouldn't like people knowing that he's partially responsible for creative if they end up putting bullshit on TV. He feels like he dodged a bullet every time he turns on the program.
Yeah, I got that from the podcast.. He was told who was gonna run AEW, and he didn´t want to be a part of that. But what details did they tell him that´s so secret they felt they needed to have him sign a nda?

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
Shouldn't this also apply to those who don't watch watch AEW every week, yet continue on, post after post about how shitty it was?! The "I only need to read about it to know that it sucked" or "I only watch highlights on YouTube, where I can skip the shit and watch the good stuff". I have never agreed with his views on practically everything he says, when/if I did catch a clip, or snippet of an interview. You have no argument from me here about Cornette being a great historian of wrestling and a heel-magnet a very long time ago, however, his opinions, in my opinion, don't mean shit today. How do I know that? Both fans and non-fans repeat verbatim what he says and that is plenty enough for me. The guy is a clown. Then, now and forever.

On the other hand, there is this...

I still cannot comprehend why some users believe you can critique a 2-hour program you already hate and either, not watch it and shit on it, or watch the "shit" and still shit on it. Some of you are asking the exact same thing of them, just as you're asking others to do in return for you. It's a two-way street, but some of you only want to go one-way.
You´ve been saying for months now "Don´t like, don´t watch." It´s only fair that some are beginning to say the same to you.

People comment on what they read in the thread, if they don´t like it they say so.
You don´t like Cornette or his opinions? Fine, you´re entitled to your opinions -As I´ve said numerous times, I don´t always agree with him either.

But then what are you doing in a thread dedicated to him, other than actively try to derail it.?

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
its frustrating esp. when u are teaching and run into another wrestling fan but cannot reccommend his videos to learn wrestling history because they are riddled with F bombs lmao
I´ve never considered that point.. I guess I can understand why some parents might not want their children to listen to it.. But really, is it that much worse than what they´re exposed to on tv and Internet?

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
I don’t care if he trashes wrestler's political views because they’re public figures but him bringing the Bucks' family up for it was in poor taste.
When did he do that? I must have missed it. But let me just say that Papa Buck is a semi-public person, having appeared on BTE and Jericho cruise.
I´ll give it a listen and judge if I think it was too much.

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
"Experience" is still on his YouTube Channel - which has 184k subscribers in total - and gets around the same listens per episode on his other playlists. This is consistent with his volume of subscribers on YouTube. This is also consistent with other wrestling channels on YouTube; WhatCulture, F4WOnline, WrestleLamia etc etc. Meaning he is NOTHING special. BTE can get up to half a million views btw so Cornette's dated opinions are not important.

You can provide those numbers then so you don't look like an idiot accusing other people on here of "blatant misinformation".
ehmm.. No. over the last year BTE averaged 240K viewers. Half the number you claim.. And that´s including the Brodie tribute episode which got around 600K, but let´s admit, it was a tribute episode, it´s not part of the usual BTE shows. The numbers are publicly visible on youtube -go ahead and do the math.
So the blatant misinformation? You´re guilty of that too..

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
Looking at his YouTube channel and the volume of his subscriptions, I find this hard to believe. Did you post a link?

I said "up to" not "average". In fact you verified this in your response! :ROFLMAO:

LOL. That's three people accusing me of misinformation in 40 minutes (even though they are perfectly able to check for themselves) because they can't handle the fact that Cornette is just a standard ordinary wrestling talking head with a very low social media presence. In fact the video he recently did about Jericho & MJF v Varsity Blondes is just a second hand view of other wrestling channels prior analysis, but he gets his own thread in the AEW section. WOW.
Like I ALSO said, I don´t count the Brodie tribute among the normal BTE videos. count that one out, and you hit an average of 230K. It has nothing to do with Cornette being a wrestling analytic or whatever you want to call him. It´s about preventing misinformation.. Not one of the BTE videos this last year with the exception of the tribute show got more than 400K
The numbers for his podcast on YOUTUBE ONLY is what you said, but you forgot to mention that it was ONLY youtube numbers. I have no idea where to find the numbers for his podcast, but since it is a podcast, it´s meant to be downloaded or listened to, youtube isn´t the primary source for podcasts, so i´m guessing the number of listeners is quite a bit bigger than the 40K you mention.
If you want to present numbers as "facts", then be careful how you word those "facts"

And how does Cornettes video about Jericho/MJF vs Varsity Blondes have anything to do with what you and I are discussing? that´s just a red herring from your side because your back is against the wall.

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
It's funny that no one here seems to comment about Cornette's punctual opinions on AEW, it is just used as an excuse to start endless fights between the ones who hate AEW and the ones who love AEW. There is no real exchange of opinions here.
Not entirely true. Admittedly, some people here tend to say Cornette is a hack and is irrelevant, to which other users reply. But I for one have actually commented on what he says. I can only hope more people do the same, and we can all have a good debate about the content.:)

· Registered
#Free316
11,811 Posts
I'm just picking the first video on your list... the Sting/Darby promo. You want someone to counter-point this piece of shit?! Let's go then, but before I do that, you cannot reply to me with any opinion whatsoever. Why? Well because if he's always right, as his fans always tell the rest of us, then you should have nothing else to comment on, correct? He's already said his "truth" and you've all agreed that he's right so...? Deal?

As usual, the one thing that stood out, again is, "well back in 1990 I was on the booking committee..." and "I remember back in 1999, 2000..." He just cannot let go of the past. It's impossible. Stop comparing the 2020's wrestling to the 1990's wrestling. His "Yes-man" sidekick, although subdued, is just as "old-school" as Cornette is and pretty much agrees with everything he says, so there's no dichotomy between the two opinions, even though it's weakly attempted. The show, as is, is just two disgruntled old guys who love old-school wrestling, but shit on present day wrestling. Why? Not because it's good or bad. It's because it's not what they want, not that they're right. There is no other conclusion to make otherwise.

He may have been right about Sting having only a few outburst moments in a promo, but Cornette totally ignored when he was The Crow character, where he didn't say a thing for about a year. That silence spoke more than any words could have. His Joker character in TNA was "different" (maybe even goofy, but for him, it worked), something else he didn't mention. Seeing as Sting is still The Crow character now in AEW, it would only make sense that he talks very little. Whenever Sting addressed Ric Flair, or the fans of WCW, his words were personal and heart-felt.

As for Darby? Well, there really isn't a lot of history of his work to use as an opinion, so we have to take him as we see him. Yes, he's crazy, risky and sometimes reckless inside and outside of the ring, so he really doesn't need to talk. Would his fans rather see him talking, or fighting in the ring? I think the answer is obvious. Could he be a little more "angry" in his promos, maybe, but then it would seem forced and not believable. He's a small guy with a small voice. I don't know what else Cornette thinks he's going to get out of him in that regard.

Now, the abandoned building/warehouse in which the promo was filmed. The candles lit up around the set, doesn't scream "real" to me either, so the same can be said about Cornette wanting tin cans or glass bottles on shelves to break. Would an abandoned building/warehouse really have those things still standing? No, probably not. The small glass windows Cornette claims are easy to break when he needed them too, those specific windows are called wire glass. That type of glass is made to not break, used as a stronger "barrier" against a direct impact hit and firewall of sorts. Safety glass would probably be the best explanation. You'll find them in schools, apartment stairwells, jails, retail businesses and yes, abandoned buildings/warehouses. The window Darby threw his skateboard at, was already broken enough, so that when he threw it, it did go through, albeit awkwardly. Sting hitting it with the bat just shows you how resistant that type of glass is, not because he couldn't break it, which he ultimately did.

There you have it. And now... SILENCE!!! :censored: :sleep:
It´s gonna be really difficult to have a debate if we can´t reply, don´t you think? ;)

You listened to a video, so you gave it a try, kudos for that (y). You may not like it, but at least you gave it a try .Good example for others :)
I don´t think all Cornettes fans think he´s always right -Some might, but there´s also people who think AEW can do nothing wrong.

I´ll argue some of your opinions, even if you told us not to, okay?
1) Regarding Cornette always referencing his past in wrestling.. How´s that different from say, someone like JR? If Corny can´t use his past as a reference point, shouldn´t that go for ALL oldtimers who run a podcast? If it did there wouldn´t be many podcasts about wrestling.

2) I don´t think he ignored Crow Sting who didn´t speak. He just said Sting doesn´t have a good voice for promos. That´s no different from saying Rollins doesn´t have a good voice.- I don´t agree with Cornette here. Sting´s voice is okay. Is he the best promo guy ever? Far from it, but he and his bookers have always known that, so they´ve kept his promos at a minimum or not at all.

3) You make a good point about the windows being made of security glass like they can be in old buildings. I´ll just counter with this: It was a prerecorded segment, why not gimmick the glass so Sting didn´t look silly when it didn´t break?
The entire segment reminded me of that scene in Police Academy where Mahoney is going undercover as a hoodlum and tries to smash things with a pipe to impress the Scullions.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts