Wrestling Forum banner

Jim Cornette: The Comedy is part of the reason the company is failing

8858 Views 99 Replies 57 Participants Last post by  SPCDRI
What are your thoughts on his comments? You can catch them on Jim Cornette Experience. He seems to hammer more the un-serious nature of the shows. He didnt say much about the flippy stuff but based on his history hes more of the old school style fan.

Regarding the WWE:

The 24/7 Title, the New Day and others like that are part of the reason why the show is a mess.

People who make a joke and a mockery out of wrestling are making the younger generation think this is acceptable and it's clearly not what Pro Wrestling is about. Stuffing your title with pancakes and running around the building like a complete goof with a cartoonish vomit color title which is now perceived to the audience now as more valuable than the world title, is a small part of what is wrong with this company.

This wrestling business has turned into such a scripted formulated, manufactured, controlled choreographed , pasteurized and sanitized performance that there is nothing that inspires a fan to tune In. They've lost viewers and lost a ton of people who usually buy tickets to their shows due to this washed up formula that isnt working. If they began to put on more serious performances and make their talent look like men and fight like men then maybe there would be more fans who want to watch. But until then the show will continue to be a pathetic garbage of comedic wannabe flops that noone will take serious and in the end does damage to the wrestling industry.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
6,456 Posts
I agree with Jim on a lot but comedy has a place in wrestling, and it's in the bottom of the card, which is where the 24/7 title is. It's more over than the other titles because Truth is an amazing performer and the guys at the top of the card suck and the booking sucks. I agree that the New Day is a silly main event gimmick

· Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
5,971 Posts
I agree with Jim on a lot but comedy has a place in wrestling, and it's in the bottom of the card, which is where the 24/7 title is. It's more over than the other titles because Truth is an amazing performer and the guys at the top of the card suck and the booking sucks. I agree that the New Day is a silly main event gimmick
I agree, the shows need a little light-hearted comedy to make the serious stuff feel more serious. WWE’s comedy is all badly misplaced right now, and New Day is a good example of that. I only partially agree with Cornette here, though. This is still pro wrestling, it’s not real life, and it’s not a real competitive sport - it’s sports-oriented entertainment. I get the feeling he thinks going to a wrestling event should be taken as seriously as going to church. Sorry, for me it’s pure escapism.

· Registered
11,477 Posts
I agree, the shows need a little light-hearted comedy to make the serious stuff feel more serious. WWE’s comedy is all badly misplaced right now, and New Day is a good example of that. I only partially agree with Cornette here, though. This is still pro wrestling, it’s not real life, and it’s not a real competitive sport - it’s sports-oriented entertainment. I get the feeling he thinks going to a wrestling event should be taken as seriously as going to church. Sorry, for me it’s pure escapism.
It is fake, but they've really stretched the suspension of disbelief in recent years.

Like with Hogan, you could believe he could win matches even without the Power of Hulkamania behind him. Dude was JACKED and quite frankly a very big man.

With Bret Hart he won because he was just that much more skilled than everyone else technically, knew every wrestling trick in the book, etc,.

HBK won because of his athleticism and his ability to put his body on the line to hurt his opponent more.

Austin won because you believed he was the best brawler in the company and very few people could throw worked punches as well as he did.

When you have top guys, you have to sell what they could do better than almost anyone else in the company. And they have to have that ability to match, or else the audience has to believe in that ability.

Why is Kofi winning? Is he the best technical wrestler? No. Is he the best brawler? No. Does he have sheer power and size? No. Does he do anything nobody else can? No.

That's my problem, there's no sense or logic here. Kofi is winning because...people are cheering for him louder? I get that wrestling has a lot to do with cheers but there had always been an element of logic to why someone wins up until the last 15 or so years.

If Kofi were built like a Big E and was just powering through everything like a jackhammer at least I could say, "OK, the guy throws pancakes but is built like a MOFO tank." But he isn't.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
He is right.

There's a place for comedy in wrestling but in small doses. It can be a part of a character's gimmick (The Rock, Y2J, etc.) but he's got to be a great performer not to overdo it.

In current WWE the comedy is misplaced, overused (I can't take the pancakes anymore) and, sometimes, distastefull. That is a problem.

· Best Post Machine
567 Posts
It is fake, but they've really stretched the suspension of disbelief in recent years.
Exactly. Just because it's fictional doesn't mean that it doesn't have to make sense. You have to be able to follow the story on some sort of logical level, so fans can try to predict what is going to happen. It's either that or turn the whole thing into a comedy sketch show.

If this whole 'it's scripted so nothing matters' ideology keeps going it'll kill what's left of the business.

· Banned
5,079 Posts
The 24/7 title has been the best part of the show since they introduced it. The company is failing because the top champions are geeks who can't draw and they won't give a single heel who ain't Shane or Bork a meaningful win anymore.

Cornette has no idea how to run a wrestling promotion in 2019 either. That pretentious cunt thinks people want to see the Rock N Roll Express for fucks sake.

· Registered
446 Posts
Yeah don't understand the love for these comedy guys on here.

It's no coincidence that the best matches this year like Cody vs Dustin were portrayed as two trained athletes with a personal beef and their story was presented to us in a mature way that's aimed at an adult audience.

The ironic thing about WWE marketing to kids is that 10 year olds don't even like kiddie BS. They like violent movies/sports/games. If I was a 10 year old who had never seen wrestling before, Cody vs Dustin would've made me a fan for life.

· Lacey Evans Stole My Heart <3
424 Posts
I absolutely agree with Jim Cornette.

Nowadays when I tune in to Raw or Smackdown I dont see men fighting, All I see is vanilla geeks cracking lame jokes and getting cucked by their girlfriends on live Television.

On top of that alot of these modern day "wrestlers" cant even perform a simple basic wrestling move on their opponents. Its almost as if they were not taught how to fucking wrestle and have to rely on their little flippity flop ballerina "indie wrestling" that they probably learned by playing wrestling on their autistic friends backyard.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,845 Posts
The 3 top titles in the company are in comedy angles. Daniel Bryan isn't too far away from being in a comedy angle. Brock with the Brock Party was comedy. 24/7 title isn't a hardcore yet comedic title, its a pure juvenile comedy play. They've overdone it with the comedy, and the comedy they do is very juvenile now.

· Banned
1,358 Posts
cue the "old man yells at cloud" comments even though Cornette is 100 percent right. fucking priscilla kelly vomiting on a guys dick who wrestles with said dick makes all of wrestling look bad by proxy.

Reactions: BlackieDevil

· Banned
1,358 Posts

Nowadays when I tune in to Raw or Smackdown I dont see men fighting, All I see is vanilla geeks cracking lame jokes and getting cucked by their girlfriends on live Television.

On top of that alot of these modern day "wrestlers" cant even perform a simple basic wrestling move on their opponents. Its almost as if they were not taught how to fucking wrestle and have to rely on their little flippity flop ballerina "indie wrestling" that they probably learned by playing wrestling on their autistic friends backyard.
COugh will osprey COUGH ricochet COUGH

· Registered
470 Posts
It's no coincidence that the best matches this year like Cody vs Dustin were portrayed as two trained athletes with a personal beef and their story was presented to us in a mature way that's aimed at an adult audience.

The ironic thing about WWE marketing to kids is that 10 year olds don't even like kiddie BS. They like violent movies/sports/games. If was a 10 year old who had never seen wrestling before, Cody vs Dustin would've made me a fan for life.
Thank you!

I do believe comedy has a place to a degree but only if it’s done in a serious and legitimate kind of way.

Take Conor McGregor or The Rock to an extent as examples. Each guy would chat so much shit about their opponents before a big match but it was legitimate, they both talked like men and their words had weight to them but could also get a good laugh from the audience. This kind of “comedy” is totally acceptable to me.

In the current WWE the comedy, if you can even call it that, is so childish and immature and most importantly not even remotely funny! You’ve got fucking guys dressing up as pancakes and unicorns, blood feuds starting with a guy’s briefcase being covered in slime, a guy going out and calling a town smelly and dirty so has to get a ridiculously sized injection in his ass, grown ass men playing with dolls and puppets, grown ass men dressed as bunny rabbits and so on...

It’s fucking embarrassing and should have no place in professional wrestling!

· Banned
2,443 Posts

quoted for emphasis in regard to the lame jokes.

weird and obscure movie and videogame references, anime references, pop culture references, meme references etc... they expose themselves as nerds and regular dudes rather than the no nonsense ass-kickers they should be portraying. they come off like children.

when it came to the guys that wrestled in the 80's & 90's... you imagine them hanging out in some bar somewhere high on coke and steroids and smackin bitches around. not watching anime and playing xbox.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.