Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,033 Posts
The music is played for the pop and I love it. The earth rumbles when crowds hear the glass shattering, or "if ya smelll", or when the gong sounds, etc.

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
Jim likes to argue against literally anything illogical in wrestling and sort of ignores the good of that. For example, most of you are fans because of the Austin glass shattering every Monday night to foil Vince McMahons evil plans.

Also, he picks and chooses what he thinks is "illogical". Jim wouldn't complain about the logic of an Irish whip, but a physicist or an MMA fighter would. What Jim doesn't understand is that these things are relative, and he has no tolerance for levels that aren't his exact own.

·
Premium Member
17,080 Posts
Seems like a common sense idea. Wish Him wasn't a belligerent asshole, too.

If you want to draw attention to the run-in, music hits. If you want it to be a surprise, you don't. ??? How is it a discussion?

·
Registered
17,023 Posts
Someone here mentioned Stone Cold or Rock...yep when they had their shit play the crowd ate it up!!! I think maybe for certain stars its a good thing. Suspend belief is part of wrasslin'. Yeah technically its weird for music to play when someone is running out to sneak attack someone lol...but hey least you associate the song with the wrestler much easier lol :)

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
It's great for TV having it play and to elicit a pop it is for sure beneficial but for storytelling, it is a god awful practice and makes the person being attacked look foolish as hell for not being ready for it. It's really a double-edged sword if we are being honest. So no matter what it's going to make sense to some and make absolutely none to others.

·
Premium Member
43,956 Posts
I've been complaining about this for years, and its correct.

A run in is supposed to feel spontaneous...like its not planned. Also, if you're sneaking down to interfere in a match, why are you calling attention to yourself by having your music play? The guy you're trying to screw and the referee are both going to know you're coming now.

Also, if a face is running out to save someone, you want to get there immediately, right? Any second lost can result in your friend or some innocent getting injured, right? Well, recently, there was an episode of NXT where Rhea Ripley came out to save someone, but she did the FULL ENTRANCE with her stomp pose, the music, and everything. Made zero sense.

One example I always go back to is Judgement Day 2001 where the finish of the main event was fucking ruined because Kane's music, lighting, and pyro had to play as he came down to the ring. Was that really necessary? Did you really want to botch your main event finish just to make sure everyone in the building knew Kane was coming out?

Now sometimes, playing the music does add to the moment. Warrior's return at Wrestlemania VIII comes to mind. Also in Kane's early days when he would come down and attack everyone in sight. It was more atmospheric to have the lighting and music and everything, though one does wonder why somebody wouldn't just get the fuck out of there.

So it can work in key situations, but playing the theme song for a run in should be an exception, not the rule. It feels like they do it just to get that Pavlovian dog response from the crowd to pop for the music...but if you've told the story right and get that emotional investment, they'll pop for it, right?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are exceptions to every rule. I agree Stone Cold and The Rock are exceptions. New Jack playing his music throughout the whole deal worked for him too. But, when you run down to the ring to save your friend from a serious beating it should have a sense of spontaneous urgency not having plenty of extra time to fumble around for your theme song and hit "play".

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,948 Posts
I think it should be relative to the moment, coming out to interfere in a match, no music, doing a run in where you're outnumbered, no music, but if, let's say, the guy you're after just dispatched some jabroni and he's standing in the ring by himself celebrating, hit the fucking music. Coming back from an injury either real or storyline, hit the music; if you're coming back from an injury against multiple guys hit the music but come out with an equalizer.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,948 Posts
No. It's not.

Stone Cold's music run ins built the attitude era. It would not be the same without it.
Imagine the AE without the glass shatter and then people losing their minds. Wrestling loses a big part of it's identity without the big pop, you don't really get that in other sports.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
He's completely right. That people can't recognise this is a big example of how the fandom gets in the way of quality reform, despite everyone complaining that they're sick of this shit.

No. It's not.

Stone Cold's music run ins built the attitude era. It would not be the same without it.
You obviously didn't listen to the clip before you decided to argue with it.

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
He's completely right. That people can't recognise this is a big example of how the fandom gets in the way of quality reform, despite everyone complaining that they're sick of this shit.

You obviously didn't listen to the clip before you decided to argue with it.
Shouldn't you be misunderstanding comedy gimmicks somewhere?

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,211 Posts
I always thought it was weird when their music would play during run ins. To me run ins are supposed to be a spur of the moment type of thing. You're not supposed to know when someone is about to come out and attack you because it ruins the element of surprise a little. Now i've heard people mention The Rock and Steve Austin and I suppose they could be an exception to that rule but otherwise unless the wrestler is making a big return and wants to make an impact I do feel that entrance music during run in is a little unnecessary.

Reactions: Samoandrop73

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
sorry he doesn't like omega and the bucks.
All of whom are younger than Jim, make more money than he'll ever see and have access to women Jim never could even dream of and none of them have been proven as literal cucks unlike Corny. I'm sure they're crushed that you dislike them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The music is played for the pop and I love it. The earth rumbles when crowds hear the glass shattering, or "if ya smelll", or when the gong sounds, etc.
It works when the theme music is good or iconic. Most the time the music doesn’t give a pop at all. Half the time don’t even k ow who it is.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts