Wrestling Forum banner

Jerry (The King) Lawler, needs to go away

2591 Views 32 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Punkkid01
Back when Jerry Lawler was Heel and always cheer for the bad guy he was great to listen too and some of the things he said was just plan funny. Good ol JR and Jerry Lawler was one of the best if not the best announcers, but since Jerry Lawler has gone Face I can not even stand to hear/see him anymore.

For some reasons the writers thought it would be a good story line to throw him in the mix of the biggest PPV the WWE has to offer! All Jerry Lawler can do is punch (Thats it!) he will make for one of the most boring matches if it is one on one. No one cares if he has never been to Wrestlemania or got the Belt, if they want to get him the "WWE Belt" do it some other time and not on the biggest show.

Am I the only one that feels this way, What do you guys think?
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I agree. I can't believe WWE is putting Lawler in a match at Wrestlemania. While there are plenty of more talented midcarders that deserve a Wrestlemania payday. You are absolutely right, all he can do is punch. I don't mind his wrestling on, say, Fatal Fourway, but not Wrestlemania where another talent will lose out on a Wrestlemania payday.

Lawler will always been more known as an announcer than a wrestler (minus the Kaufman stuff) and that's how it should be, because in his time, he definitely was overrated. At least if Hogan, Rock, Flair, Austin, etc come back and wrestle, it's because they were icons and some of the greatest of all time in the ring and star wise. Jerry Lawler doesn't even come close to being in that category.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elimination Chamber is the biggest PPV the WWE have to offer now?
The Elimination is not the biggest PPV "roles eyes" I am talking about Wrestlemania. Now I know there is a chance that Jerry Lawler still might not go, but then again, there is a chance he might.

· Registered
611 Posts
you people talk like he is going to wrestlemania for a fact. Okay he will be there for a fact at least as an announcer, I will wait till Elimination chamber and see how things play out. After that I can get annoyed.

· Registered
23,494 Posts
Lawler back in the 80's was awesome, and its great that they are building to a WM match with him in, something he has never done. While to most fans he might be better known as an announcer, he was WAY better in the ring back in the day than he was as a commentator. The guy gave Miz his greatest match ever in the TLC match on Raw, and I'd LOVE to see the guy win the belt even if he were to lose it the next day. His match with Miz at the EC is only the second Miz match I've given a shit about; his first being the TLC with Lawler.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd MUCH rather see Lawler going to WM with the belt that Miz. Don't see it happening, but I'd mark the fuck out if it did.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. I can't believe WWE is putting Lawler in a match at Wrestlemania. While there are plenty of more talented midcarders that deserve a Wrestlemania payday. You are absolutely right, all he can do is punch. I don't mind his wrestling on, say, Fatal Fourway, but not Wrestlemania where another talent will lose out on a Wrestlemania payday.

Lawler will always been more known as an announcer than a wrestler (minus the Kaufman stuff) and that's how it should be, because in his time, he definitely was overrated. At least if Hogan, Rock, Flair, Austin, etc come back and wrestle, it's because they were icons and some of the greatest of all time in the ring and star wise. Jerry Lawler doesn't even come close to being in that category.
If they are going to put Jerry Lawler in it, a Fatal Fourway would really be a good idea.

· Registered
6 Posts
You all fail to realize the king has won the most melt out of all of the superstars mentioned in this thread combined...All hail lawler! Bring back JR and send cole packing, that would make for some great announcing, so glad booker is doing smackdown now so someone sticks up to cole.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the WWE are just giving Jerry the King Lawler what he deserves at least one match at WM. That match will either be against Alex Riley or involve Michael Cole somehow.
I bet you are right, I believe it is going believe something really close to what you have said.

· Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,092 Posts
It's way more important for Cole to go away right now. I get that his heel schtick is entertaining, but he's getting himself over at the expense of the guys in the ring.

I don't really know how I feel about Jerry Lawler. On the one hand, it's weird that Miz's biggest rival right now is a commentator. On the other hand, Jerry deserves a Wrestlemania match. Not a title match, but I'm glad he's getting what's likely to be a big sendoff.

· Premium Member
4,692 Posts
The Elimination is not the biggest PPV "roles eyes" I am talking about Wrestlemania. Now I know there is a chance that Jerry Lawler still might not go, but then again, there is a chance he might.
No shit.

I'm referencing the fact that he doesn't have a Wrestlemania match yet, and here you are saying he's suddenly a big part of the 'biggest PPV' - and he's only scheduled in a match for Elimination Chamber right now.

Make sense now?

· Really?
202 Posts
Another thread about this? Really? People need to learn to respect the people who have given their all for the business, JR and Lawler was in my opinion the greatest announce team in WWE history, yet the King has never had a WrestleMania match, ever. He deserves it, and it really should not be too much to ask for at most probably 10-15 minutes to give this legend his WrestleMania moment.

We've got 2 elimination chamber matches to look forward to in 2 weeks, it's not as if Jerry Lawler is actually going to win the title and main event WrestleMania, it'll probably just be a match with Michael Cole or A-Ri.

The only complaint I have about what they are doing with Jerry Lawler is that they are making the Miz look too weak, he hasn't even been able to pin him yet. I think if a commentator wasn't making a fool out of the man who's supposed to be our WWE champion, people would be able to comprehend this a little better.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
My issue with the Lawler/Cole thing is that WWE is giving more time and character development to the announcing team than they are to the undercard talent. If the undercard got this kind of attention, perhaps more stars could be groomed successfully

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.