Wrestling Forum banner

Jerry Lawler comments on doing commentary "Its not fun"

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  yeahbaby! 
#1 ·
Well damn King. If its not fun why you doing it?!!

Jerry Lawler was on his own podcast with a co host and the topic of his recent job of being on Raw commentary came up.

If you want to read all he had to say on it ill post the link but the ultimate take away from this was to JL he said its not fun. There's a lot of preparation and lots of pressure on you.

Makes me wonder why he took the job then.

I for one for the most part enjoy the new three man team but if Jerry's not enjoying what he's doing perhaps take a role backstage.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/jerry-lawler-on-commentating-its-not-fun/

#5 ·
I think he means it more along the lines of "this job isn't easy" type of thing. People assume sitting there doing commentary is just guys having fun when they don't realize how much actual work goes into doing that job. It's not easy and it's not just a sit down and have fun type of thing. It's a real job with real work involved.

#10 ·
That's correct. That's definitely what he meant.

People have to remember that Lawler's been commentating on wrestling matches for an incredibly long time, and for most of that time, there wasn't someone yelling in his ear telling him what to say and reminding him that he'll be sacked if he says the word "hospital."

I love to cook and I'm excellent at it, but if I had someone screaming in my face about exactly how to do things at every step of the process, it'd be much less fun for me and I probably wouldn't be nearly as good.

#11 ·
I think he means it more along the lines of "this job isn't easy" type of thing. People assume sitting there doing commentary is just guys having fun when they don't realize how much actual work goes into doing that job. It's not easy and it's not just a sit down and have fun type of thing. It's a real job with real work involved.
That's correct. That's definitely what he meant.

People have to remember that Lawler's been commentating on wrestling matches for an incredibly long time, and for most of that time, there wasn't someone yelling in his ear telling him what to say and reminding him that he'll be sacked if he says the word "hospital."

I love to cook and I'm excellent at it, but if I had someone screaming in my face about exactly how to do things at every step of the process, it'd be much less fun for me and I probably wouldn't be nearly as good.
You know it kills jokes when you explain then :side:

#7 ·

Jerry Lawler was on his own podcast with a co host and the topic of his recent job of being on Raw commentary came up.

If you want to read all he had to say on it ill post the link but the ultimate take away from this was to JL he said its not fun. There's a lot of preparation and lots of pressure on you.

I for one for the most part enjoy the new three man team but if Jerry's not enjoying what he's doing perhaps take a role backstage.

Lawler never really wanted to be a commentator. It´s well known that he would rather wrestle, but at some point WWE brass decided he was better as a commentator. Money is money, so he took the job.

#8 ·
He's still getting paid regardless and age has caught up with him. Even though I'd love to see him wrestle and pretty sure he'd love to wrestle but it's too much risk at this point.

Reactions: jpickens
#15 ·

They call it work because they pay you for it.

If it was fun, everybody would do it for free.

#17 ·
To a business standpoint, I have to agree with Lawler. Vince's yelling at his ear cause he wants him to be dead-on on what's going on in and outside the ring. And you all know damn well Vince don't like fuck ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.