Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWE Hall Of Famer, Jerry Lawler, was a recent guest on Busted Open Radio. The former WWE commentator spoke about the current product, which he claimed is hard to watch at times.

“Sometimes it’s sort of hard for me to watch,” Lawler admitted. “I just got my schedule to be at Survivor Series, and so it’s almost like cramming for an exam back when you were at school. I really have to go back and watch some shows, and make some notes, and find out what is actually going on.”

Jerry Lawler went on to explain his thoughts on the product in greater detail. He admitted that the product is too short, stating it would be brutal to be a commentator now.

“I don’t see how the guys in the business — it’s so tough to be doing that on a daily basis,” he said. “Doing the commentary for Raw and SmackDown now, to me, it’s almost brutal to have to know and remember. The talent changes so fast and everything is so short now.

“It’s not the fault of wrestling, people love to talk about how wrestling has changed. Wrestling has not changed. It’s the fans, it’s the society that’s changed. We’ve got a short attention span now,” Lawler believes. “You have to, in the wrestling business, you have to realize there’s so much more stuff that fans can watch. So, you have to keep this here show so exciting every minute that people are watching or they’re going to switch over and start watching TikTok. It’s changed in that respect, and sometimes for me, it’s hard to follow.”

Article

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Age old question, how do you keep people engaged?
Do something unexpected. Do something different. Don’t insult your audience with eggs. Go a bit more mature.

For example, you literally could have a succession storyline that borrows a bit from reality with Levesque trying to take control from Vince. So many of the fans now attending are smart marks that it would get over with a live audience. Vince does not want to give up control - nor does he respect Paul’s vision for the future. “That’s why there is an NXT 2.0” he can add. Draw Stephanie in...what side does she fall on? Make Nick Khan a silent, on air character. Standing with Vince but never speaking....until the day comes that he does. Yes, it’s more McMahon drama, but you can write the story with a definitive end point and goals that you wish to come out of it, and it ends up being more grounded in reality and having more storyline stakes than today’s edicts from an Adam Pierce.

·
it's a tarp!
7,490 Posts
Do something unexpected. Do something different. Don’t insult your audience with eggs. Go a bit more mature.

For example, you literally could have a succession storyline that borrows a bit from reality with Levesque trying to take control from Vince. So many of the fans now attending are smart marks that it would get over with a live audience. Vince does not want to give up control - nor does he respect Paul’s vision for the future. “That’s why there is an NXT 2.0” he can add. Draw Stephanie in...what side does she fall on? Make Nick Khan a silent, on air character. Standing with Vince but never speaking....until the day comes that he does. Yes, it’s more McMahon drama, but you can write the story with a definitive end point and goals that you wish to come out of it, and it ends up being more grounded in reality and having more storyline stakes than today’s edicts from an Adam Pierce.
I was with you right up until you mentioned Stephanie.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Only sometimes? That's being generous. Both Raw and SD are a train wreck. NXT, their only consistently good wrestling show, is now just main roster lite and is the biggest joke of a wrestling program, even compared to Raw and SD.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
aw yes, Jerry "WWE's violation denier in chief" Lawler trying to whitewash the wrong doings of the company that had paid his bills

1 - 14 of 14 Posts