Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Definition of Excellence
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may do a few more of these depending on how this one goes over. I basically just wanted to take a look at the Wrestlemania history of paticular wrestlers. The focus here: Chris Jericho. Jericho maid his Wrestlemania debut at Wrestlemania 2000 in a triple threat match against Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit capturing the WWF European Championship. From there he built up momentum walking into future Wrestlemania's with gold around his waist, innovating matches and having classic matches with legends.

Wrestlemania 2000
Kurt Angle(c)(c) vs Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho
- Two-Falls Triple Threat Match for the WWF intercontinental & WWF European Championships
-- Jericho won the second fall, and walked out the new WWF European Championship

Wrestlemania X-Seven (2001)
Chris Jericho(c) vs William Regal
- Singles match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship
-- Jericho won the match, and retained the championship.

Wrestlemania X8 (2002)
Chris Jericho(c) vs Triple H
- Singles match for the WWF Undisputed Championship
-- Jericho would loose the championship to Triple H.
--- Was the Main Event (went on last.)

Wrestlemania XIX (2003)
Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels
- Jericho was defeated by Shawn Michaels.
-- Was Shawn Michaels first Wrestlemania back in the WWE.

Wrestlemania XX (2004)
Chris Jericho vs Christian
- Jericho was defeated by Christian.
-- Grudge match fought over Trish Stratus.

Wrestlemania 21 (2005)
Money in the Bank Ladder Match
- Edge defeated Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, Chris Benoit, Christian & Kane.
-- First EVER (Money in the Bank) Ladder Match.
--- Jericho invented (Storyline wise) the match on a January 2005 edition of Monday Night RAW.

Wrestlemania XXIV (2008)
Money in the Bank Ladder Match
- CM Punk defeated Shelton Benjamin, Chris Jericho, Carlito, MVP, Mr. Kennedy & John Morrison
-- Jericho's first Wrestlemania since returning to the WWE from a 3-Year absence.
--- Jericho walked into this match as the reignin WWE Intercontinental Champion.

Wrestlemania 25th Anniversary (2009)
Chris Jericho vs Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat & Jimmy Snuka (w/ Ric Flair)
- Jericho defeated the 3 Legends.
-- Jericho would be on the loosing end of a brief altercation with Micky Roruke following the match.
--- Jericho would receive an extensive amount of media attention going into this match do to an on-screen grudge with Micky Roruke.

Wrestlemania XXVI (2010)
Chris Jericho vs Edge
- Singles match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
-- Jericho won the match, and retained the Championship.
--- Advertised as a "Main Event." Was first of three main events that night.

Wrestlemania XXVII (2011) - ?? Chris Jericho ??​

Speculated by many and derailed by others, it's up in the air as to if Jericho will be at this year's Wrestlemania. Jericho reportedly wont be back Summer 2011 at the earliest. However both WWE and Chris Jericho have a track record of trying to throw curve balls at us. Either way its safe to say Jericho has not had his last Wrestlemania. As the record stands Jericho is 4/5/0 at Wrestlemania and he needs another Win on his record to even the score.

What's next Wrestlemania wise for Jericho? Will he even his won/loss record? Will he continue the momentum he's built in recent years? Or will he start on a slow spiral of defeat, each taking him a step further down the card, like he did during the first half of his WWE career?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Hope he wins, not really needed though, it's not like you have to win at Wrestlemania, look at Rock from 99-01, he was still the biggest star in the company after those losses, but yeh I do hope he wins one, and should be nice if he returns and wins, make it three in a row.

·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just trying to look at the Won/Loss record from a "Sports" kind of aspect. Trying to pretend like they mean something :p

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I was just trying to look at the Won/Loss record from a "Sports" kind of aspect. Trying to pretend like they mean something :p
I would argue you've failed then. I do not regard the result of MITB as a win-lose sityuation, it's more of a win/don't win thing.

·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's fine. Falling into the denial of "I didn't win but I didn't loose either" is pretty amusing. It's unsportsmanlike like, a total heel comment, and I could easily see Jericho pulling off the argument.

However I've yet to see a won/didn't win but not a loss/loss/draw record out there. If you don't win, and it's not ruled a "no contest," it's either a loss or a draw. Yeah it's a sports entertainment, lets make up crap as we go along environment. But its suppose to be a dramatized tv show with a sports backdrop, and in sports you win, loose or draw.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
man when edge fight taker at wm 24 he said i never lost with the ladder match he was in at wm 23

·
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The reasoning behind that was suppose to be that he was removed from the match due to (kayfabe) an injury that occurred during the match. In his case it would be ruled a no-contest, as he wasn't able to compete in the match. It's also fairly common for the WWE to overlook or just flat our ignor facts and details for the sake of making whatever point they want to make. Regardless, fine, hes 4/3/0 at Wrestlemania with 2 guest appearances in what appear to be matches that you can win but can't loose. Happy?

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Wrestlemania 25th Anniversary (2009)
Chris Jericho vs Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat & Jimmy Snuka (w/ Ric Flair)
- Jericho defeated the 3 Legends.
-- Jericho would be on the loosing end of a brief altercation with Micky Roruke following the match.
--- Jericho would receive an extensive amount of media attention going into this match do to an on-screen grudge with Micky Roruke.

QUOTE]

I loved the pre-match hype in this match. Jericho was a merciless bastard on the mic. I love how he steamrolled over Snuka & Piper but then Steamboat gave him a fight.

Thanks for the nice breakdown!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Great job. I look forward to your stats for other wrestlers (especially Big Show, for his incredibly awful WM record).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
4:5 isn't bad. His Series record is way worse. Also look at Show he is 1:8.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Jericho/Mysterio WM match would be classic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts