Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant stress that enough. I'll take Jim Ross words with a grain of salt i mean somewhat but i had heard vince wasnt sold on him because of his height. Was wondering why jericho was ridiculously held back all these years. Dont get me wrong having a win over Rock and Austin to be the first undisputed champ is a respectable move and well deserved, but i cant help but feel that he deserved more especially during Hunters un necessary reign of terror.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prob should of had the title in 2000 not HHH. Should of been in the wm main event in 2000 too. Nepotism runs wild in wrestling.
Hs was at his peak in 2003 in terms of cocky heelness. Definitely shouldve held the belt then.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
I'm certainly not saying JR is lying but Jericho mentioned in his book a conversation he had with Vince (which JR & Lanza were present for), where he tore into him for working stiff with Chyna. Vince basically told him he doesn't know how to work and everybody's complaining about him.

Obviously, one of those people would likely be Triple H and irrespective of what good he's done in the past several years with NXT, he was the exact opposite when he was on top. I understand hierarchy and all that but I'll be damned if somebody with half as much experience as I have is gonna tell me how to do my job. Especially when the only thing you're telling me is how bad I am at my job.

One of those things I'll never understand about wrestling.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I like Jericho but to me he's on the level below the true main event stars such as H, Taker, Hogan, Rock, Austin etc. He did win 6 World Titles in WWE and now 1 in AEW as well. How much more do you think he could've realistically been?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that he took a few years off in his prime to focus on his music.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jericho should have had a brief run with the WWE title, once he was elevated to the upper card in April 2000. His win against HHH for the title on RAW (with Hebner doing the fast count), got one of the loudest pops ever. When Jericho finally did win the title in late 2001. the WWE overbooked it, and made Jericho look weak. Even worse, he took a back seat to Stephanie McMahon. If they had just given Jericho the ball to run with, it could have been memorable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I like Jericho but to me he's on the level below the true main event stars such as H, Taker, Hogan, Rock, Austin etc.
I honestly think Jericho has been as good as HHH and Undertaker, if not better during his career. HHH was a good heel, but he could not carry the company. He also had the benefit of marrying one of the owners, so he was going to be in the main event scene even if he did not necessarily deserve it. With Undertaker, he has always been an important part of the roster, but never was the top draw of the company.

Obviously Hogan, Austin, and the Rock were bigger than Jericho, but not many more. Jericho would probably make the top 10 list of all-time greats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jericho is my favourite of all time, he should have had a run somewhere between 03-05 before he left. Although at this point they were in the process of building new stars and putting the belt on them, Batista, Cena, Orton, and possibly Edge although this could have been after Jericho left? I think any run he may have had during this point would have been purely transitional and not had the same affect if they beat him instead of HHH.

Had a great run from 07-10 which i caught the last year of and possibly my favourite version of Jericho - the cold, slow talking heel who stripped a lot of the flashy stuff away but somehow still made himself entertaining. Unfortunately the last time we would have seen him with the world title was in 2010. Although allegedly he was due to beat Kevin Owens for the title at Mania 33 in the main event, however, plans changed when Goldberg returned and they subsequently went with him v Lesnar instead which is another conversation all together which i dont even want to get started on!

Definitely a hall of fame career and i wouldn't be surprised if he finishes this AEW run which has about 2 years to run i believe, then have one more run in WWE before calling it a day and ending with a hall of fame induction.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I think it was just timing. If there was no Austin or Rock then he would have been a huge face 99-01. As it is he had to settle for being the number 2 heel behind HHH for many years.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like Jericho but to me he's on the level below the true main event stars such as H, Taker, Hogan, Rock, Austin etc. He did win 6 World Titles in WWE and now 1 in AEW as well. How much more do you think he could've realistically been?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that he took a few years off in his prime to focus on his music.
Funny how Kurt Angle left in 2006 and had about nearly all the world title reigns Jericho had. He also left a year before Angle did to go on a two year hiatus. Jericho is up there with Kurt, and not everyone needs the world championship but a 2003-2005 reign wouldnt have hurt, but no HHH had to hog the title.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny how Kurt Angle left in 2006 and had about nearly all the world title reigns Jericho had. He also left a year before Angle did to go on a two year hiatus. Jericho is up there with Kurt, and not everyone needs the world championship but a 2003-2005 reign wouldnt have hurt, but no HHH had to hog the title.
I am 100% convinced that if it were Jericho marry the bosses daughter, and not HHH, the WWE would ahve been in far better shape throughout the first decade of the Millennium. HHH is one of the most overrated men in the business, IMHO. Jericho could get guys like Malenko, Saturn, Shamrock, and other mid-carders over big time. Imagine if he was given the top spot through marriage? He could have had a 5 star match with Nathan Jones.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Had and continues to have a tremendous career, the only thing as others have said is when he was white hot in 2000 he should've won the title. People were ready for him to take the title from HHH.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I think he had a suitable career for what he brought to the table
I mean people seem to think this was some small accomplishment or something. I didn't even agree with him going over Rock AND Austin for the accolade on the SAME NIGHT of being 1st ever Unified Champion of the WWF/NWA/WCW/AWA era of wrestling.

He's an overachiever to be honest. If it was just a year or two earlier there would be NO WAY he was going to pin Rock or Austin for the WWF Title much less both WCW and WWF world titles on the same night.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Well, they definitely screwed up his booking. Every time Jericho was on the precipice of going to the next level, Vince or allegedly Triple HGH would do something or the other to bring him down.

That whole List of Jericho shtick was over, he was getting the best reactions on RAW with Kevin Owens. It was his time to win the Rumble, and his time to win the world title. In fact, that was the original plan until Vince changed it. We have idiots like Rollins, Reigns, and Charlotte who can't even get themselves over, and then there's Jericho who got a freakin piece of stationary over.

I understand Triple HGH's insecurity, its very well documented. But what's Vince's excuse? There is not a single talent in WWE's history that was squandered more than Chris Jericho. This man has it all. Great in the ring, one of the best on the mic, is super over, drew in multiple promotions, looks out for other wrestlers and makes them look good, a team player, has a fantastic creative mind and has delivered angles and ideas that drew. He's the antithesis of Triple HGH. You have a multifaceted mega star who is over despite WWE's booking, and then they continued to treat him like a jobber. Made no sense then, didn't make any sense now.

I will always respect the endurance, patience and thick skin that Jericho has. If my boss tells my co-worker in front of me that the entire company is in the sh**ter because I am leading the team, that would be last my day that I work for someone like that cause there would be serious reverberations ending in my resignation.

I'm very glad that he left WWE and joined AEW.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
Russo was Jericho's biggest cheerleader and he was partly responsible for the WWE bringing him in, so when Russo left it just felt like the WWE didn't know how to use him. It took a long time before they found their groove with him.

I always felt that Jericho's best was him in WCW circa 1998. He was given a lot of creative control over his segments, while in WWE he was more contained as a character. He was periodically in the title mix, but something was missing. He could've done far more than he did in the AE

·
it's a tarp!
4,966 Posts
Several things stopped Jericho (and to be fair everyone) when he first went to the WWF.

First, they had Austin and Rock in their prime. Who could come in and challenge that, maybe Hulk Hogan no-one else.

Second, the next tier in line was Hunter, Angle, Taker, Kane. The only wrestler who could challenge that would be STING or higher.

Third, and this can never be dismissed. Chris is short. His lion-tamer finisher does not work on bigger guys, and the WWF's main-event is always full of them.

A smaller guy will always need a slower build to show their credibility before moving on.

Chris's promo work as ever was top tier.

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
I think it was just timing. If there was no Austin or Rock then he would have been a huge face 99-01. As it is he had to settle for being the number 2 heel behind HHH for many years.
Beat me too it.

Jericho had some STIFF competition in his prime years.

It's not a knock on him that he was working under the likes of Steve Austin and The Rock.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I am 100% convinced that if it were Jericho marry the bosses daughter, and not HHH, the WWE would ahve been in far better shape throughout the first decade of the Millennium. HHH is one of the most overrated men in the business, IMHO. Jericho could get guys like Malenko, Saturn, Shamrock, and other mid-carders over big time. Imagine if he was given the top spot through marriage? He could have had a 5 star match with Nathan Jones.
1. Triple H isn't overrated the dude is a total package. Has a good look, can talk, can wrestle and has turned into a really positive backstage guy also.

2. Malenko offered nothing except being good in the ring, Saturn had very little going on also. Shamrock was given a main event push by the WWE briefly but he didn't rise to the occasion either. Also, from Jericho's AEW run we've found out that the guy isn't that much of a creative genius so not sure how he'd get those guys over especially since Vince and co clearly didn't see much in them.

3. I like Jericho but you're overrating him a bit in your post. Odds are he has the same career if he marries Stephanie.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts