Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't viewed or posted in a while, so forgive me if this is old ground.

Just in early at the office, going through last night's Impact YouTube videos before work, I was struck when I watched this:

It seems to me that Jeff's mic work is steadily improving. Throughout his heel run his vignettes and in ring promos have been markedly better than his WWE work - possibly the only facet of his performance that has improved or remained steady since then. He seems able to speak more fluently and naturally. He is still far from an accomplished mic worker of course, but he seems able to carry a promo and garner heart with his words - objectives that were previously beyond his capabliities.

Meanwhile, Anderson's mic work seems to be less impressive every time I see him. He isn't bad, and is still a better mic worker than most in the business. However, we all know that this is a guy for whom people have long held extremely high hopes, based mostly on his verbal ability. In his WWE days and beginnings in TNA, this guy could control the crowd effortlessly - and not just by repeating his name. His level has certainly regressed; whether this is because of his face persona, laziness or something else, I don't know. I wouldn't like to simply blame it on him being face, because I think that Anderson is good enough with the mic to make that a success.

Anyone else had similar thoughts? Or disagree entirely?

·
Banned
291 Posts
I always thought Anderson's mic skills were too blown up by people.

Jeff's mic skills have definitely improved. I see more emotion when he speaks.

Side Note: His make up is getting a little emo though. And who the hell wears a shirt and tie with a hoody?

·
Banned
7,973 Posts
I agree that Anderson was much better on the mic in the WWE and in his early heel days in TNA. I don't however agree with your opinion on the video. That was a good promo from Anderson and Jeff was ok too even though there where some cringe worthy moments. I like Jeff on the mic I just can't stand it when he screams. It always comes off sounding terrible.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Jeff's almost half as good as Bret Hart know. Anderson always sucked, they should of picked a better wrestler to go with the gimmick, only reason he got over in WWE was b/c entrance music and microphone thing. So basically, had it not been for his entrance, he would be exactly like Braden Walker, just more shitty.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Jeff did great promo last night. Pretty fine delivery, if you ask me. Anderson, well it wasn't his best, but still decent.

14,478 Posts
Anderson has found himself in a place where he just repeats the same stuff again and again. His promos are getting boring.

Jeff Hardy is good on the mic when he is a heel. It's easier to be a heel than a face for a lot of wrestlers.

·
Registered
12,478 Posts
I think Hardy played his part extremely good last night.Anderson did an ok job , it wasn't his best but I wouldn't say his mic work is going down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I thought Jeff was bad last night. He was pretty all over the place, sounding like different people at times. The guy needs to learn to stick with his character, and sound angry within that character. He is definitely showing more emotion on the mic, but that doesn't necessarily make him better.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Jeff's mic work as a heel has been phenomenal so far. It's a vast improvement from what we're used to from him. I, for one, never want to see him as a face again. Ever.

Anderson's been in a rut for some time now. He's gotten extremely repetitive, and seems to be lacking the energy he had during his first few months in TNA. Tbh, I think he changed his style a bit once he turned face, which is strange, because the reactions he got using his "heel" style was what led TNA to turn him face in the first place! Anderson needs to get back the same attitude he had as a heel, he really didn't need to change anything to begin with.

·
Premium Member
25,943 Posts
There was live video of that segment on youtube and it seems to have come across a lot better live than it did yesterday. At the very beginning of the promo, before he even spoke, there was a fairly large "you're a loser" chant yet they edited it out. I'm all for TNA editing out stupid IZ chants but when you're trying to make Jeff you're top heel, why edit out something that is actually giving him "heat" especially when the Impact Zone fans seem to like most of the heels.

As for Anderson, he needs to find new material asap. He isn't funny when he's trying to be funny.

·
Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
7,761 Posts
links, Amber? ;)

I really enjoyed Hardy's promo yesterday, I think he did the whole "angry and tortured" thing really well, but as well, I quite liked Anderson's interruption, it's pretty repetitive (sp?) but Hardy's reactions to it were great, I though.

·
Premium Member
25,943 Posts
I think I posted it in the spoilers thread for this episode but I'll try to find it. The crowd is still annoying shit heads though so I'm warning you.

·
Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
7,761 Posts
Thanks for the warning, it's pretty much taken as a given that a lot of the people in the IZ are shit heads tbh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I swear if Dane Cook became a wrestler, he would be just like Anderson....
:lmao

YES! Perfect analogy! Anderson's mic work is majorly overrated. He had a gimmick that gave him guaranteed mic time whenever he appeared. Add a catchphrase (however stupid) and you will get over. How many people thought it was stupid that he repeated his name twice...then got used to it...then started saying it along with him? That is sheer brainwashing by repetition, but clever it is not.

As for the OP, I thought the exact same thing. I wondered if anyone else did. Jeff may be a little all over the place, but he is definitely getting better. Anderson may not have been doing his best work, but he was outshined by Jeff f***ing Hardy on the mic. Did I just type that? To be fair to Anderson, its hard to give good mic work when you win the world title and get booked like a tag champion: relies on RVD to end the show on his feet, uses a lucky rollup just to beat Matt Hardy instead of winning with skill (I'm speaking kayfabe here. I mean Anderson is the freaking champion!), and having no character development since winning the big one. Although I personally don't think Anderson deserves to be booked stronger or more creatively, I at least realize that he COULD be.

·
Natasha Yi. WHAT A BABE.
7,761 Posts
Hey, that's not fair. He doesn't SAY his name twice. He climbs the turnbuckle the second time. :side:

·
Charismatic Enigma
4,103 Posts
Winning with a rollup is still winning with skill.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Anderson just sounds to phony, and like he is projecting his voice to much trying to be funny when he knows it's bad material. Also his voice is very annoying.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts