Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to some dude at a local wrestling show recently who mentioned that there were tentative plans to have JBL face the Rock at WrestleMania 21. From what I gather, JBL's championship reign was originally scheduled to continue after WrestleMania 21, and that he was due to retain the title against 'The Great One' at WrestleMania. This surprises me as it always seemed like it was planned for John Cena to win the title right there and then. I always thought that JBL's entire reign was put in place to establish him as the heel champion for John Cena to beat at WrestleMania.

Does anybody else have any information about this? If JBL was originally meant to keep the WWE title for longer, then when was John Cena meant to win it? What was John Cena meant to do at WrestleMania?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Doubt it. They were setting Cena up for a Mania title win for over a year.
Yeah, that’s what I thought. Based on the characters of both Cena and JBL it seemed like they were planning that match from the minute JBL won the title. Cena winning the title at WrestleMania seemed like a coronation for the new face of the company, so it’s odd to hear rumours of other plans.

Even if The Rock hadn’t been rumoured, what was the idea behind JBL’s reign lasting beyond Wrestlemania?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
First time I've ever heard of is. Seems doubtful. After, WMXX Rock only appeared on two random Raws in 2004. One to put Eugene over and another one to help get people interested in the Diva Search contest. After that he did not show up again on WWE television until early 2007, and that was through a via satellite promo. He'd not set foot in a WWE ring again until 2011 when he was announced to guest host WM27.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I remember reading this somewhere in an article about original plans for WrestleMania that got nixed. The Rock was either supposed to lose to JBL or win the title and then drop it back to him on the following week's Smackdown.

I don't buy it either way. JBL was being set up to lose the championship to Cena for several months. If The Rock had wrestled at WM21 at all Randy Orton is the only opponent that would have made sense.

·
Banned
884 Posts
I remember rumours at the time of The Rock perhaps appearing at WM21 but never against Bradshaw. I thought he was supposedly going to wrestle either Randy Orton or Ric Flair. I don’t really remember any talk of him facing Bradshaw.

There’s no way that Bradshaw was going to keep the title beyond Wrestlemania. That was Cena’s moment. He was white hot at the time, and picking up the win at WM21 was a career defining moment for him.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
First time I've ever heard of is. Seems doubtful. After, WMXX Rock only appeared on two random Raws in 2004. One to put Eugene over and another one to help get people interested in the Diva Search contest. After that he did not show up again on WWE television until early 2007, and that was through a via satellite promo. He'd not set foot in a WWE ring again until 2011 when he was announced to guest host WM27.
Actually he showed up on a Raw in July of 2004 as well and cut a long promo burying Randy Orton to his face, which is one of many reasons why I think Orton would have been The Rock's opponent if he had been at WM21.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Actually he showed up on a Raw in July of 2004 as well and cut a long promo burying Randy Orton to his face, which is one of many reasons why I think Orton would have been The Rock's opponent if he had been at WM21.
I forgot about that one. Rock joked that Orton played with MLP ponies when he was a kid :lol. This was years before bronies were even a thing, so it's kinda odd that he mocked MLP at the time.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I think it commonly known that Rock wanted to face either Savage or Sting at WM21 - they just couldn't or wouldn't get the deal done.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it commonly known that Rock wanted to face either Savage or Sting at WM21 - they just couldn't or wouldn't get the deal done.
Yeah, I’d heard those rumours. The thing about the JBL / Rock rumour that intrigued me isn’t even the involvement of The Rock, really. I’m more interested in the idea of JBL’s title reign lasting beyond Wrestlemania because, to me, it really doesn’t add up. Everything was right for the Cena against JBL match so I’m more baffled about what was planned for JBL afterwards.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
At the 2008 HOF ceremony, Rock said that the two wrestlers he'd like to have wrestled were HBK and Rey Mysterio. Rey Mysterio is an interesting suggestion, since I've never once imagined Rock and Rey wrestling each other and I doubt a feud between both would have worked or been interesting. At least not a feud with Rey Mysterio's WWE character.

Yeah, I’d heard those rumours. The thing about the JBL / Rock rumour that intrigued me isn’t even the involvement of The Rock, really. I’m more interested in the idea of JBL’s title reign lasting beyond Wrestlemania because, to me, it really doesn’t add up. Everything was right for the Cena against JBL match so I’m more baffled about what was planned for JBL afterwards.
Yeah, I don't believe that JBL's reign would go beyond WM21 either. Also, a bit OT but the Cena vs. JBL match was sooooo underwhelming. It lasted like 10 minutes and Cena got beat down for most of the match until he suddenly hit the 5 moves of doom and won. Considering JBL seemed like someone who'd never lose the title and got away with it in every possible way including escaping under the ring against Big Show at No Way Out... it sure was underwhelming for his reign to end like that. Did JBL run out of ideas to chicken his way out or what? lol

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I don't believe that JBL's reign would go beyond WM21 either. Also, a bit OT but the Cena vs. JBL match was sooooo underwhelming. It lasted like 10 minutes and Cena got beat down for most of the match until he suddenly hit the 5 moves of doom and won. Considering JBL seemed like someone who'd never lose the title and got away with it in every possible way including escaping under the ring against Big Show at No Way Out... it sure was underwhelming for his reign to end like that. Did JBL run out of ideas to chicken his way out or what? lol
Yeah, you’re dead right, the match itself wasn’t great. It was really one sided until that comeback, wasn’t it!? Their ‘I Quit’ match at Judgement Day was much better. After all of JBL’s chicken shit tactics over the previous year, Cena didn’t have to work too hard to actually beat him. I think that the HBK / Angle match overran a bit, costing JBL / Cena some time, but, even so, you’d think they’d have something explosive or memorable planned for Cena to outsmart JBL. It was, indeed, underwhelming.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Yeah, you’re dead right, the match itself wasn’t great. It was really one sided until that comeback, wasn’t it!? Their ‘I Quit’ match at Judgement Day was much better. After all of JBL’s chicken shit tactics over the previous year, Cena didn’t have to work too hard to actually beat him. I think that the HBK / Angle match overran a bit, costing JBL / Cena some time, but, even so, you’d think they’d have something explosive or memorable planned for Cena to outsmart JBL. It was, indeed, underwhelming.
They could also have not had the stupid Big Show vs. Akebono match. I twas a waste of time. Why did that match even happen? That Akebono guy's fame didn't go beyond Japan, since it's the only country that cares about Sumo. Was it a way for WWE to try penetrating deeper in the Japanese market, or something? Because I doubt any Americans bought the PPV to watch that Akebobo guy.

Anyway, I didn't care much that JBL vs. Cena was mediocre. The Rey Mysterio/Angle/Orton triple threat at WM22 being just as short was a much bigger disappointment. The match could have used 5 more minutes or so. It felt like the 3 involved were moving a bit too fast and that kinda ruined it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That would mean Rock would have to move back to Smackdown to start that feud

Not that is matters since Rock would show up on any show

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
From what I remember, Rock wanted to face either Sting or Savage, and the company wanted him to face JBL, beat him for the title and drop it the next SD.

·
Registered
560 Posts
wait a min this makes sense, WWE added Rock to the 2004 Smackdown intro post Mania XX so yeah it looks like they were planning this with JBL hence why Rock was moved from Raw intro to Smackdown

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don’t know about that. You could tell Cena was going to be the guy as early as WrestleMania 20. Had the Batista story not involved Triple H, Cena probably would of headlined WrestleMania 21. As soon as Batista won the feud, Cena was immediately drafted to the A show. I’m sure The Rock was probably asked to do a match but I don’t see it being a title match with JBL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts